Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I heard an anecdote about Crested Butte, Colorado recently discussing this issue. The looks insanely beautiful and real estate prices have gone through the roof. Real estate investors and part-time residents/vacationers dropping huge amounts of cash on anything that comes on the market. Only problem is the town is small, there's no affordable housing in any sense of the term, and it's isolated. The result is a an idyllic vacation town with plenty of visitors and nearly all of its businesses having to shutdown or limit hours in some way due to labor shortages. Picture a packed main street in an idyllic tourist town with ice cream and souvenir stores shutdown and help wanted signs in every window. Weird.

Anyway, a lot of circumstances conspired to make Crested Butte especially bad, but it's hard to imagine similar things won't be happening all over the place in the future.
I think this is definitely part of it but my understanding it's basically everywhere and not just high end locales.

I'm thinking some additional factors could be 20/30 somethings living with (often freeloading off) their parents and high school/college aged kids not interested in working.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I heard an anecdote about Crested Butte, Colorado recently discussing this issue. The looks insanely beautiful and real estate prices have gone through the roof. Real estate investors and part-time residents/vacationers dropping huge amounts of cash on anything that comes on the market. Only problem is the town is small, there's no affordable housing in any sense of the term, and it's isolated. The result is a an idyllic vacation town with plenty of visitors and nearly all of its businesses having to shutdown or limit hours in some way due to labor shortages. Picture a packed main street in an idyllic tourist town with ice cream and souvenir stores shutdown and help wanted signs in every window. Weird.

Anyway, a lot of circumstances conspired to make Crested Butte especially bad, but it's hard to imagine similar things won't be happening all over the place in the future.
When this happens, it tells me the rich are not being taxed nearly enough.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
When this happens, it tells me the rich are not being taxed nearly enough.
It's more that they are smarter about taxes and make income from various investments worked out by a tax lawyer and can exert political influence in the correct manner.

The new high density real estate shenanigan here in CA is a great example of this.

Further more than 50% of the population is paying no tax.

The whole system of taxation in this country is fvcked, and no political party is going to save anyone.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think this is definitely part of it but my understanding it's basically everywhere and not just high end locales.

I'm thinking some additional factors could be 20/30 somethings living with (often freeloading off) their parents and high school/college aged kids not interested in working.
It's not. My folks have a lake house out east in an area that is very beautiful but gets more of a blue collar vacation crowd as opposed to the high dollar yacht and salt water taffee crowd. For the locals the economic conditions are maybe 1-2 rungs above Appalachia. The kind of places where restaurants happen to mysteriously burn down in the offseason :roflmao: The fast food joints are mostly staffed by older white people and there is fook all in terms of economic advancement. Otherwise, you can live for very cheap.

Was there for a week in August, and even there the local restaurants (that tend to burn down) were offering signing bonuses and had huge help wanted signs out front. Also heard the gas station managers bargaining with their employees about hours. So no, it's not just high dollar areas, it's literally friggin everywhere. Ran into the same problem this week while grabbing lunch in the central valley.

IMO it's from the COVID unemployment benefits being way too generous and easy to game. Not sure who thought it would be a good idea to pay people MORE money than they were making while working, to not work :foreheadslap: Of course people are going to game that system.

If you ever wanted to know what UBI would look like, here's your answer :drowning:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
It's more that they are smarter about taxes and can exert political influence in the correct manner.

The new high density real estate shenanigan here in CA is a great example of this.
Tax code needs to catch up and drop the hammer.

Unless the masses figure out that their wealth is hidden in their jugulars, that is.

One first step would be to ban all foreign and corporate ownership of single-family residential properties.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's not. My folks have a lake house out east in an area that is very beautiful but gets more of a blue collar vacation crowd as opposed to the high dollar yacht and salt water taffee crowd. For the locals the economic conditions are maybe 1-2 rungs above Appalachia. The kind of places where restaurants happen to mysteriously burn down in the offseason :roflmao: The fast food joints are mostly staffed by older white people and there is fook all in terms of economic advancement. Otherwise, you can live for very cheap.

Was there for a week in August, and even there the local restaurants (that tend to burn down) were offering signing bonuses and had huge help wanted signs out front. Also heard the gas station managers bargaining with their employees about hours. So no, it's not just high dollar areas, it's literally friggin everywhere. Ran into the same problem this week while grabbing lunch in the central valley.

IMO it's from the COVID unemployment benefits being way too generous and easy to game. Not sure who thought it would be a good idea to pay people MORE money than they were making while working, to not work :foreheadslap: Of course people are going to game that system.

If you ever wanted to know what UBI would look like, here's your answer :drowning:
I've heard that too - just haven't heard of anyone actually playing the system like this.

Is the rent moratorium still in effect?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
restaurant’ing is hard work.

in the end, there will only be Taco Bell.

View attachment 116430

edit: would you want this job?

just ate there in July right when the mask mandate lifted out there., place was popping off! . Im still full from the meal.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've heard that too - just haven't heard of anyone actually playing the system like this.
I can’t think of another reason. Where did all the people go who used to do these jobs, and how are they making a living now?

Is the rent moratorium still in effect?
Seems that it’s finally expiring this month? That could also be playing into it. Under normal times you couldn’t get more than $1800/month from UI, and that’s if you made $40k+/year. Imagine if you could tack on an additional $750/week, and also not pay rent on top of that? :drowning:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

yea but thats over..the added $ benefits rather. why arent people lining up to fill postitions now?

if you were working fast food you probably get a $100 a week now in CA, less in other states on EDD. no one with bills can live off that.

it also hasnt been an extra 750 a week since march. more like 300 extra.

edit: weirdly got my first ever stim check today. going right into costa ricas economy lol

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I'm not a fan of the extra covid unemployment benefits. As others have already mentioned you should never pay people more to stay home. With that being said I don't personally know anyone of normal working age who doesn't currently have a job. Everyone I know has a job. Many have taken new and better positions, but I don't know anyone who was unemployed during any of this. I think a lot of businesses who are blaming all their troubles on unemployment benefits are going to get their feeling hurt when the covid money dries up and they still can't fill their positions. Even if people did line up for jobs, is your business really going to prosper being staffed by folks who most business owners think are a bunch of bums who mooched the system for the past year or so? I think their time and effort would be better spent trying to lure workers who do want to work and have the track record to back it up.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yes, from the time I was 14 til around 25 or 26.

It's hard work but the booze, drugs, and sex make it tolerable. Not a bad way to make quick cash.
I got so wasted working in restaurants.

Come to think of it I got wasted at every job I worked at.

Except teaching.

I had two beers once on a break at a night class with another teacher whose pants I was trying to get into.

The kids were like, WHAT's WRONG!

I was like, "NOTHING! Who wants to wrestle?" :dancing:

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I got so wasted working in restaurants.

Come to think of it I got wasted at every job I worked at.

Except teaching.

I had two beers once on a break at a night class with another teacher whose pants I was trying to get into.

The kids were like, WHAT's WRONG!

I was like, "NOTHING! Who wants to wrestle?" :dancing:
I was a server at a country club starting when I was 16. Sunday brunch. Weddings. Other parties. Good fkn times

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I started partying really young and really hard working in restaurants. Late night, wearing your work uniform after a shift, and out with a few coworkers- that was a license to drink in virtually any bar, even at 14 years old

man the 90s were epic

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
We’ve always had this issue in my industry.

the past few years even more so with visa challenges due to prior administration and then covid.

We actually had an increase in new to the industry labor for a little while. Mostly people who romanticized the work and liked that it was outdoors (due to covid).

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
yea but thats over..the added $ benefits rather. why arent people lining up to fill postitions now?

if you were working fast food you probably get a $100 a week now in CA, less in other states on EDD. no one with bills can live off that.

it also hasnt been an extra 750 a week since march. more like 300 extra.

edit: weirdly got my first ever stim check today. going right into costa ricas economy lol
my local grocery manager told me they're getting more people willing to come back to work but they're lazy as fvck.

yes, govt made it way to easy to be unemployed