Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
How the phuk do you organize records by BPM or key? :roflmao:
That doesn't make sense.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I was always big on alphabetical by artist then chronological by release.

however I always had an issue with where to put compilations/soundtracks/festivals, and whether or not to sort by last, first when the artist is a name not a band.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
How the phuk do you organize records by BPM or key? :roflmao:
That doesn't make sense.
what doesnt make sense? i always thought it was a bit maniacal but the thought was when doing a dj set - at least for dance music - you use the keys of a record to guide the progression of the set - just like a standard chord progression on a keyboard. one thing should naturally come after the other and you can really control the mood, peaks and valleys when you know exactly what youre pulling out next.

i always thought it was a bit rigid and predictable in a DJ set because IMO its all about the element of surprise and reading the room.

• Love
Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
what doesnt make sense? i always thought it was a bit maniacal but the thought was when doing a dj set - at least for dance music - you use the keys of a record to guide the progression of the set - just like a standard chord progression on a keyboard. one thing should naturally come after the other and you can really control the mood, peaks and valleys when you know exactly what youre pulling out next.

i always thought it was a bit rigid and predictable in a DJ set because IMO its all about the element of surprise and reading the room.
ur a DJ too! :roflmao:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

Most albums aren't in the same key or BPM. Even if some are, some aren't, so organizing albums by that doesn't make sense. For digital single songs I guess that makes sense if you're DJ'ing and doing segues and overlaying & chit. I suppose a DJ could have some fun if they know even a little bit of theory.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Most albums aren't in the same key or BPM. Even if some are, some aren't, so organizing albums by that doesn't make sense. For digital single songs I guess that makes sense if you're DJ'ing and doing segues and overlaying & chit. I suppose a DJ could have some fun if they know even a little bit of theory.
It absolutely makes sense for a club DJ who is melding songs together instead of having an awkward gap in the music.
The only reason I know this was because while eating really crappy lunch at a water park, they had some snooty hip looking DJ playing club mixes of pop music and we were captive to his set.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
It absolutely makes sense for a club DJ who is melding songs together instead of having an awkward gap in the music.
The only reason I know this was because while eating really crappy lunch at a water park, they had some snooty hip looking DJ playing club mixes of pop music and we were captive to his set.
Right,but digital,single songs, yes? If we're still talking about organizing vinyl albums by BMP or key, I'm lost.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
don’t dj softwares handle matching keys and bpm for you?

auto tune and quantization could do it, I think.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Right,but digital,single songs, yes? If we're still talking about organizing vinyl albums by BMP or key, I'm lost.
Yeah, that's a good point.
DJing is super hipster, though. I wouldn't be surprised by handlebar mustachioed DJs hauling 3 crates of wax to a gig

auto tune and quantization could do it, I think.
You can only move a whole song a small amount before the instrumental timbres start to sound way wrong. Even just a 1/2 step is really obvious, so unless you want that effect, pitch changing songs is not useful option for most songs.

Reactions: sdsrfr

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I was always big on alphabetical by artist then chronological by release.

however I always had an issue with where to put compilations/soundtracks/festivals, and whether or not to sort by last, first when the artist is a name not a band.
Within the artist it's a free-for-all. I even keep solo works/side projects from a band member in that band's section. So like in the Wire section I have side-projects/solo records from Bruce Gilbert and Colin Newman.

If the genre was different I'd keep it separate. So like I would not keep Charlie Watts Quintet records in The Stones section.

Soundtracks and compilation have their own section, and they are not alphabetized because I don't have very many. If I did have enough to care, I'd organize by the name of the record. Or are you talking about like Jimi Hendrix "Rainbow Bridge" and where to file that?

My 7" records are in no particular order. Next rainy day though...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
For records?
Speaking for digital. I guess a record player could digitize with a small latency and then go nuts witb the digital signal…

Within the artist it's a free-for-all. I even keep solo works/side projects from a band member in that band's section. So like in the Wire section I have side-projects/solo records from Bruce Gilbert and Colin Newman.

If the genre was different I'd keep it separate. So like I would not keep Charlie Watts Quintet records in The Stones section.

Soundtracks and compilation have their own section, and they are not alphabetized because I don't have very many. If I did have enough to care, I'd organize by the name of the record. Or are you talking about like Jimi Hendrix "Rainbow Bridge" and where to file that?

My 7" records are in no particular order. Next rainy day though...
I always got lost with the caveats.

By compilations I mean like - I have a few albums whicb are only of bob dylan covers, some by one artist, some by many.

do they go with the performing artist, the original song writer/performer, or the compilation section? When my mind thinks of where to find it, it would be witb the rest of bob dylan, but that’s not often where I put them.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
For records?
exactly:
Album 1:
Song1 D major 135bpm
song2 A# minor 45bpm
song 3: B flat major 220 bpm
Song 4: D major 75bpm
etc

Album 2
Song 1: E major 50bpm
song 2: C# minor 120bpm
song 3: B minor 80bpm
Song 4: D major 100 bpm

What key and BPM are these albums in? :unsure:

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Bought a sofa at Macy's for $800 about 8 years ago.. It's small (actually it's normal for 1960/70s) compared to most these days, but we like small. More for a salon type sitch than sleeping while Netflix & chill.

Macy's has a similar sofa, a bit wider, in burgundy, for $1300.

Edit: No dogs allowed on sofa.

View attachment 115445
Takeover!IMG_1726.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: CutnSnip

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
exactly:
Album 1:
Song1 D major 135bpm
song2 A# minor 45bpm
song 3: B flat major 220 bpm
Song 4: D major 75bpm
etc

Album 2
Song 1: E major 50bpm
song 2: C# minor 120bpm
song 3: B minor 80bpm
Song 4: D major 100 bpm

What key and BPM are these albums in? :unsure:
I'd file both in D-major. Three songs d-major, and also b-minor is (mostly) the same notes as d-major

Dance music is famously static in BPM. Dancing to 80bpm or 45bpm is a lot different than at 22obpm.

You probably listen to good music, which has variety, so that organizational system wouldn't work or be necessary for you.

Reactions: _____ and enframed

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
By compilations I mean like - I have a few albums whicb are only of bob dylan covers, some by one artist, some by many.

do they go with the performing artist, the original song writer/performer, or the compilation section? When my mind thinks of where to find it, it would be witb the rest of bob dylan, but that’s not often where I put them.
You could put them with the artist being covered, sure.

You could also keep them all in a separate compilation section, which is what I do.

Sounds like you simply need to commit to a system, accept that system, and remember which system you chose.