Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Both boards look sick! But that top one looks magic.

Edit: Now that the order is placed the impatience is setting in and I'm frothing to get it!

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Good news, waves rarely get that big in SD. haha When I was on my GMM2 bender I surfed it up to head high at softer reef waves. It is really fun in the conditions when you want to surf a lower grade spot away from the crowd.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Good news, waves rarely get that big in SD. haha When I was on my GMM2 bender I surfed it up to head high at softer reef waves. It is really fun in the conditions when you want to surf a lower grade spot away from the crowd.
surfing a 5'0" in overhead oceanside beachbreak, no thanks. young man's game lol

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I find it interesting that (counting my order) there are 7 GMM2's on the XTR order sheet. Seems like a lot?
There are 24 Tomo Orders.
There are 88 total orders.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My first GMM2 had deep concaves all the way to the nose:

My latest one has much shallower concaves just a little behind the front foot:

To be honest, I don't feel any benefits or deficiencies from either set-up. Rocker and fin placement is more important and both boards are magic.

No A/C unit to flex with, but I have whiskey barrels :cool:
Good call on the reactors. Now let’s move up to some MR +trailer… magic!

@ReForest my first two GMM(1 & 1.5) didn’t have the channel (just at the tail), and third GMM(2) did have it from pretty far up- like an evo. Definitely prefer it to no channel on the earlier versions and I noticed difference from the first surf (at swamis which I never surf). I love my evos so it felt instantly familiar. My x-wing and xtr el tomo quad both have some version of it ( I think from the middle front front IIRC) so like you said, I think he plays around with it on each model. Could be in my head, but I think it gives the a consistent ride across the models, so pretty easy to jump between different ones.

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Good call on the reactors. Now let’s move up to some MR +trailer… magic!

@ReForest my first two GMM(1 & 1.5) didn’t have the channel (just at the tail), and third GMM(2) did have it from pretty far up- like an evo. Definitely prefer it to no channel on the earlier versions and I noticed difference from the first surf (at swamis which I never surf). I love my evos so it felt instantly familiar. My x-wing and xtr el tomo quad both have some version of it ( I think from the middle front front IIRC) so like you said, I think he plays around with it on each model. Could be in my head, but I think it gives the a consistent ride across the models, so pretty easy to jump between different ones.
Welllll well well now... 3 different GMM's huh?? I guess I'm not the only one buying multiple versions of the same model, hmmm??

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
One of my favorite boards is the Hydroshort. I've had it in every construction possible, different lengths/dims, and both tail variations. So I'm pretty confident on how the board rides. I bought one of Tomo's personal boards that had NO QISC - just a single running through out the tail. On the 1st session I could immediately tell the difference.

The one without had almost no lift. It felt like the board was sort of stuck to the water... and the board did not have the same type of rail control. On bottom turns and top turns it almost felt like the rail didnt have the same grip - like it wouldn't immediately engage with the water. Like there was a slide or a slight delay. Basically felt slower and didnt turn the same.

All of these feelings were somewhat subtle and not necessarily bad, but I did notice the difference. Which means that the concaves though the middle and on the outside rails do provide a benefit to the design (at least the Hydroshort model). I message Daniel about what I was feeling and he said he had the exact same experience.

I still ride the HS without the QISC and love it for certain conditions, but it was insightful to experiment and feel the difference.

Reactions: jkb and JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I had a few hydronauts and didnt like them. They all felt too long and hard to turn. I usually dodge barrels anyways and didnt see the need for one in my quiver :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hydronaut = step up barrel board
Hydroshort = HPSB

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I had a few hydronauts and didnt like them. They all felt too long and hard to turn. I usually dodge barrels anyways and didnt see the need for one in my quiver :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hydronaut = step up barrel board
Hydroshort = HPSB
So, what’s your longest boar/tomo RN? You taking that Hydroshort out when it gets truly OH?