Refinance now??

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
What’s a CO?

Some won’t hassle you for second kitchens and some will make you remove a fridge or stove to qualify for it

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
When doing a refi, I've never had questions about property improvements or remodels. I think they're just worried about the property value and from what I've seen, most appraisals are just drivebys. Unless you are taking max cash out and claiming added value by disclosing these changes, I don't think they'll give it a second look. YMMV

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
When doing a refi, I've never had questions about property improvements or remodels. I think they're just worried about the property value and from what I've seen, most appraisals are just drivebys. Unless you are taking max cash out and claiming added value by disclosing these changes, I don't think they'll give it a second look. YMMV
I’m asking about a purchase, so pretty standard for lack of permits to be an issue

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't think that remodels, at least those that don't add more square footage and/or beds/baths, make all that much of a difference. It's mostly zip code , sq ft and beds/baths that drive the value.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017

rates still soooper low, if you can afford a home, that is....

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Checked out Costco lending and they quoted me way lower than anyone else. Filled out an app to see if it is legit. I've had good experiences with Costco so I'm hopeful.

I hate shopping around for rates. It is like buying a car. You have to cut through the sales BS and make sure you're not getting hosed.

Reactions: Mr Doof

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
We did a refi thru costco couple years back. great service, rates, and fast. was super impressed with the guy we worked with, however he couldn't beat our latest refi price otherwise would have went with him again.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
It depends on the mortgage. If you put 20% down and your keep the LTV under 80% it doesn't matter.
I wonder if that varies regionally
Certificate of occupancy, legal permits for things like finished basement or attic, or deck can be a pretty big deal in New York

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Ok, so I've got a few different quotes now.

Here is what I learned. You need to shop around. It's a pain because you'll have to get on the phone (most of the time) and fill out a couple different applications. Then you'll have your loan guy run your credit and lock in a rate.

Don't fall for the friendliness of brokers or loan officers. These guys get paid when you close the loan so they will do everything in their power to get you to close and pretend like they are giving you the best deal ever. Do some due diligence and apply at 3-4 places to see how competitive each bank is.

My first quote from a week ago was 2.99% and 8K in closing costs. I was just quoted 2.625%, no points, $3500 closing costs, and $5500 lender credit. So shop around.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
@Muscles 'I was just quoted 2.625%, no points, $3500 closing costs, and $5500 lender credit. So shop around.'

what loan length was that for? 15, 30 year?

sounds like a pretty great deal to me. That lender will just sell the loan anyways and it will get serviced by another company. There is room for better pricing for sure, as noted in the difference of your quotes.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
@JBerry 30 year.

Two best quotes I received so far:

30 year, 2.625%, no points, $5500 lender credit, $3500 closing cost

or

30 year, 2.5%, no points, $3500 closing cost.

Decided to 2.5% since I don't intend to refinance and plan on holding this property for a long long time. The breakeven was at about 8 years if I went with 2.625%.

Reactions: JBerry

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
NKBC

I found them by using Costco refinance. It's similar to lending tree or bankrate. You put in very basic information then receive generic quotes. You put in your contact information and then you'll get an email or phone call by the bankers.

It's a big sales pitch when they contact you but just fill out the application and apply with each one. Banks and brokers can't tell you the rate until they run your credit and you fill out an application. Once I did that I found the best rate with the lowest closing cost and went with them. 2.5% no points is really really good.

Once you go with a bank then email the others and say you decided to go a different route. You can apply at multiple places as long as it is all within 2 weeks and it won't hurt your credit.

Last edited:

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
Update:

Locked in 2.5% no points with $3500 in closing costs. That's .49% lower than my first quote. Glad I called around.
What's your loan amount? a 2.625% with zero fees is smarter move than paying a whopping $3500 for fees. Let's assume a $350k loan amount 2.625% 30 yr fixed is PI payment of $1405. If you pay $3500 that people usually bake into their loan, so loan amount of $358500. 2.5% 30 year fixed = $1416.. you're gonna waste $3500 and very bad move. $350000 loan amount and you pay $3500 out of pocket = $1383. $3500 to save $33. Recoup the costs in 106 months (8 year and 10 months). This is also a very bad move.

If need help, email me a current mortgage statement at eric.park@interactivemortgage.com. Ill guide you in the right direction and Im paid the same on every loan, so it's an unbiased opinion.

Stay away from big banks and giant lenders unless you want your refi to go through a long drawn out process of 1.5-2 months.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
NKBC

I found them by using Costco refinance. It's similar to lending tree or bankrate. You put in very basic information then receive generic quotes. You put in your contact information and then you'll get an email or phone call by the bankers.

It's a big sales pitch when they contact you but just fill out the application and apply with each one. Banks and brokers can't tell you the rate until they run your credit and you fill out an application. Once I did that I found the best rate with the lowest closing cost and went with them. 2.5% no points is really really good.

Once you go with a bank then email the others and say you decided to go a different route. You can apply at multiple places as long as it is all within 2 weeks and it won't hurt your credit.
The best closing costs is none, which is what i offer in a majority of circumstances.