The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Ordered a new 4/3 Cyber today. Looking back at my emails, the last 4/3 I ordered from them was in July 2017. 4 seasons of use and the last 2 seasons have seen a lot more use since moving up to Santa Cruz. $600/4 years = $150/year. I'm comfortable with that.

I order a stock size because it fits me well, so I've never gone the custom measurement route. I do add a couple of tweaks like a secondary neck gasket, pulled in cuffs, and reinforcement taping around the ribs and crotch.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ordered a new 4/3 Cyber today. Looking back at my emails, the last 4/3 I ordered from them was in July 2017. 4 seasons of use and the last 2 seasons have seen a lot more use since moving up to Santa Cruz. $600/4 years = $150/year. I'm comfortable with that.

I order a stock size because it fits me well, so I've never gone the custom measurement route. I do add a couple of tweaks like a secondary neck gasket, pulled in cuffs, and reinforcement taping around the ribs and crotch.
Coulda got the Quiky "Prologue" 4/3 for $130. More than good enough.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Axxe wetsuit review.
At 10 uses (kite and surf) the knee seams are opening up where there is no tape, and many other areas are showing neoprene tearing at the stitching, probably from the suit folded on itself while paddling.
Thanks for the detailed review. I can get Axxe wetsuits here. There is a dealer in Melbourne and I make occasional trips to the city. I googled it when Casa mentioned Cyber, Glidz and Axxe.

I don't think the oversizing is the result of seams opening up and neoprene tearing. Sounds like materials that are not strong enough and poor stitching design. Most of my wetsuits are too big for me with spare folds of rubber and that doesn't happen. Instead a combination of the neoprene losing its insulation, neoprene breaking down and stitched seams that look ok, but have developed leaks, or liquid taping that has cracked is what sends them into the dustbin after 2 or 3 seasons.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
The most important thing in surfing is being warm. More important than the board.
... .
I agree with that. That's what I always tell people who are thinking of starting surfing. This morning I was in a 5.5mm Xcel comp with integrated hood. Integrated hood is a must have for me at this time of the year. 5mm rip curl booties. That way I complete my session without getting cold, have enough spare heat not to get chilled changing and remain 100% motivated for the arvo session.

This arvo 3mm booties and my 4/3 Vissla integrated hood was ok, but not as warm as this morning despite the increase in air temp.

May 10, 2018
Need Essential wearers - I am at the very top end of a medium (height and weight wise) and the very lower end of a large short (weight wise) and top end (height wise). What would you recommend? How do they fit?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Need Essential wearers - I am at the very top end of a medium (height and weight wise) and the very lower end of a large short (weight wise) and top end (height wise). What would you recommend? How do they fit?
I was between an XLT and XXL. I'm at the top of the chart for the XXL in height and middle range for weight. Not quite at the top of the height and about 15-20 lbs over the weight for the XLT. I went with the XLT. Could have gone XXL, but it was a little loose in some places. I would look at the other measurements on the size chart (waist, chest, etc.) to see which you are closer to.

Reactions: noise

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
just got one of these for freeee. stocked.

that will ease the sting a little if you drop a turd in this one

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
New Dakines are hitting the shelves at local shops around here. Slightly interested. Need some new rubber come winter. Being an O'Neil guy they look somewhere in between the Hyperfreak and Psycotech. A little warmer than the Hyper with the liner, yet less than the Psycotech with no smoothie, but probably as flexy as Hyper.

https://www.coastwatersports.com/dakine-mission-43mm-chest-zip-fullsuit-wetsuit-2021-black-dk21m43mz-p-22070.html?currency=USD

Aruka please throw down the gold card and review. :) Gorge has got 5/4/3's for 349 rn.

• Love
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
New Dakines are hitting the shelves at local shops around here. Slightly interested. Need some new rubber come winter. Being an O'Neil guy they look somewhere in between the Hyperfreak and Psycotech. A little warmer than the Hyper with the liner, yet less than the Psycotech with no smoothie, but probably as flexy as Hyper.

https://www.coastwatersports.com/dakine-mission-43mm-chest-zip-fullsuit-wetsuit-2021-black-dk21m43mz-p-22070.html?currency=USD

Aruka please throw down the gold card and review. :) Gorge has got 5/4/3's for 349 rn.
Being a O'neil guy as well found my new 'Bong furnace nice mix of warmth, confort, and flexibility:shaka: hyper has a liner its only the comp hyper that does not but super flexible.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Interesting. I have a hooded 5/4+ and non hooded 4/3+ Hyperfreak and no linerage. 5 is almost 2 years old, but 4 is pretty new bought this past BF. That said both suits are plenty warm, so hasn't really be an issue. Doubting I'll get more than 100 primary sessions out of any mainstream suits rn, but Dakine is claiming durability?

"Seams are triple locked – twice glued, 3D stitched, taped and critically taped to seal and reinforce seam junctions."

Not sure if that's better than anything else out there at some price point?

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour