The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes, I figure if I can handle 48 to 52 degree water in that suit and booties for a 3+ hour session, that's good enough for me.

Overall, am down to once or twice a week right now. However, even surfing 3-6 days a week, generally would get at least 3 to 5 years out of each suit. Washing them out promptly and hang-drying them in the shade after each session goes a long ways to making them last.

In my experience, once you get past a certain price point, it's just status driving a shitty product. They know they have suckers on the line. Refer to Exhibit A: Oakley.
You wear a budget 4/3 in 48 degree water so you don't count.

Agree about Oakley. What a joke. Prada too.

But having worn budget suits, top teir OTR suits, midrange suits, and the suits I'm wearing now...there's a pretty clear difference between all of them and it's really hard to know what you're getting.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
which is yours again?

who makes comparable claims to JJF but for less money and OTR sizing?

I don't know why you wouldn't bother going custom when the people who do the measurements are at the place you would be buying the suit right up the road. Doesn't cost any more to do so. Fit is half the battle.

Of course, the lack of glamour, claims about superdupercalifrgilicious technology, YAMOMOTO!, recycled-envirofriendly tech, etc can be a hard sell.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You wear a budget 4/3 in 48 degree water so you don't count.

Agree about Oakley. What a joke. Prada too.

But having worn budget suits, top teir OTR suits, midrange suits, and the suits I'm wearing now...there's a pretty clear difference between all of them and it's really hard to know what you're getting.
Bogner peaked too early. They would be rolling large in the surf game for the aggressively fashionable.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
95,000 yen=$868
That's for the stuff sold in Japan.

The USA product is numbered - 502 , 602, or G8.
Runs between $500 to $650.
So basically as much as you spend on a made in Thailand or China one-size-fits-all Matuse, Isurus, or top line big brand suit.

But of course if you don't take care of your stuff don't waste your time or money.

Drive around PB, Mission Beach and look at all the wetsuits hanging to dry in the sun.

That, along with surf schools and rental companies, is the target market for the big brands.

Therefore they don't need to make a better suit. The majority of people from Arizona and college kids don't hang around long enough to care about any sort of quality and I'm sure they'll tell you their sundried suit is just fine.

My neighbors are kooks and keep both of theirs hanging on the balcony getting direct sunlight for 10 hours a day...

A lot of the big brands use Japanese wetsuit manufacturers for their team rider's suits. JJF was not wearing the same Hurley you got off the rack, that's for sure.

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Can someone explain the logic behind this new trend of 2/2 and 3/3? All your blood/core heat is in your torso—— and thicker wetsuits feel constrictive in your arms and legs. I’ve never thought... gee i wish this chest panel was just a little flexier. Wouldn’t a 4/2 be way more helpful if you’re trying to maximize stretch/warm ratios?

Reactions: urchined

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Good question, I think it has to do with windchill.

Makes sense in place where you can have 35 degree mornings and 70 degree water.

Or conversely, 50 degree water with 95 degree sunshine.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think flexibility in the chest panel area translates to less fatigue in the armpit panels, and resistance from the suit paddling.

that was one of the arguments for zipperless - more flexible for paddling.

I often wear out the armpit panels until they no longer hold the water out.

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would only consider paying over $400 for a suit if I lived in critical dire need suit areas like NW Pacific or East coast cold water. Here in Souther and even parts of Central far from critical if your suit blows:violin:I pay the extra for flexibility and quick drying and I pamper all my suits:fresh water cleaning and shade dry folded at waist on pvc and rope hanger:shaka:

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I've always assumed the seams were a little more solid with the same thickness of rubber coming together.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
However, even surfing 3-6 days a week, generally would get at least 3 to 5 years out of each suit. Washing them out promptly and hang-drying them in the shade after each session goes a long ways to making them last.
avging 4 times a week - that means yor wetty lasted btwn 600 and 1200 seshes. musta look like swiss cheez cuz the most i get from any brand is 2 yrs max and by that second year im gettin cold and the seams are going. thats with a good rinse to

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
avging 4 times a week - that means yor wetty lasted btwn 600 and 1200 seshes. musta look like swiss cheez cuz the most i get from any brand is 2 yrs max and by that second year im gettin cold and the seams are going. thats with a good rinse to
The last fullsuit I had popped a seam behind my shoulder after 3 years and it dug directly into my shoulder, leaving a bloody hole each session. Duct tape on the shoulder was a bit of a stopgap but was moving to colder waters and the suit got landfilled.

But the one before that... :roflmao: Tears in the neck area, lower right leg was missing south of the knee, large hole in the arm, so yes it was ventilated but many years of use. It was SoCal, never got that cold anyways.

I don't buy or replace anything until it's truly done for. All products. You should see my boards. :roflmao:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The last fullsuit I had popped a seam behind my shoulder after 3 years and it dug directly into my shoulder, leaving a bloody hole each session. Duct tape on the shoulder was a bit of a stopgap but was moving to colder waters and the suit got landfilled.

But the one before that... :roflmao: Tears in the neck area, lower right leg was missing south of the knee, large hole in the arm, so yes it was ventilated but many years of use. It was SoCal, never got that cold anyways.

I don't buy or replace anything until it's truly done for. All products. You should see my boards. :roflmao:
I saw your boards, was more worried about your fins (plastic!WTF!?)

Most people consider 55-60 to be cold.

This is the first place I've ever heard people say it's not cold.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I saw your boards, was more worried about your fins (plastic!WTF!?)

Most people consider 55-60 to be cold.

This is the first place I've ever heard people say it's not cold.
55-60 is far from 4/3 booties with hood:foreheadslap:
48-53 4/3 no booties for me here because lowest is 51 and hate em.