The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I saw your boards, was more worried about your fins (plastic!WTF!?)

Most people consider 55-60 to be cold.

This is the first place I've ever heard people say it's not cold.
Don't forget the glass-ons on the 6'7". :)

55-60 is more than fine in a 3/2.

Below 55, booties are needed.

True game changer IMHO is 50. That's when the ice cream headaches really hit.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
That's for the stuff sold in Japan.

The USA product is numbered - 502 , 602, or G8.
Runs between $500 to $650.
So basically as much as you spend on a made in Thailand or China one-size-fits-all Matuse, Isurus, or top line big brand suit.

But of course if you don't take care of your stuff don't waste your time or money.

Drive around PB, Mission Beach and look at all the wetsuits hanging to dry in the sun.

That, along with surf schools and rental companies, is the target market for the big brands.

Therefore they don't need to make a better suit. The majority of people from Arizona and college kids don't hang around long enough to care about any sort of quality and I'm sure they'll tell you their sundried suit is just fine.

My neighbors are kooks and keep both of theirs hanging on the balcony getting direct sunlight for 10 hours a day...

A lot of the big brands use Japanese wetsuit manufacturers for their team rider's suits. JJF was not wearing the same Hurley you got off the rack, that's for sure.
I actually have a Cyber and the material is very good. The whole purchasing experience was unpleasant. The material color was wrong, the thickness was wrong, the material type was wrong. I followed the measuring procedure as directed and measured each one two times. The fit is good except in torso length is way too short(nut crusher) with as many other things wrong with my "custom" suit its easy to imagine wrong dimensions as well. I was told app. 4 weeks, suit took 3 month. I reached out to Steve for updates/ status and wasn't thrilled with the customer service. With all the things wrong with my custom suit I told Steve I wasn't happy with my purchase. He told me that now I'm part of the Cyber family they would take take care of me on the next purchase. What if there are no future purchases? Pretty much like ordering a custom surf board and expecting to get what you ordered. Sounds like you haven't had the problems I had and good for you, for me it sucked cost a lot of money and doesn't fit well

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Sick. So, plenty of people willing to spend >$750 on a Japanese made suit that may or may not be hand made and what JJF will wear in a heat, especially if they can get around the custom wetsuit headache experience.

Bob and Pat are really good at what they do.

for the record, I haven’t bought a wetsuit in a surf shop in over 10yrs. online is always less expensive and leaves more free time for surging (or chores…)

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
55-60 is far from 4/3 booties with hood:foreheadslap:
48-53 4/3 no booties for me here because lowest is 51 and hate em.
When it comes to feet and hands everyone is different.

I hate booties too, but usually by about 55 I need them to feel the board properly.

Regardless, 60 and below is cold.

If it wasn't we'd be wearing trunks or springsuits.

Modern surfing makes it this way. You need to be fast and loose.

If we were all knee paddling and riding longboards it'd be a little different but guys were still wearing wool sweaters in Santa Cruz pre-wetsuit.

Reactions: tacos

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I actually have a Cyber and the material is very good. The whole purchasing experience was unpleasant. The material color was wrong, the thickness was wrong, the material type was wrong. I followed the measuring procedure as directed and measured each one two times. The fit is good except in torso length is way too short(nut crusher) with as many other things wrong with my "custom" suit its easy to imagine wrong dimensions as well. I was told app. 4 weeks, suit took 3 month. I reached out to Steve for updates/ status and wasn't thrilled with the customer service. With all the things wrong with my custom suit I told Steve I wasn't happy with my purchase. He told me that now I'm part of the Cyber family they would take take care of me on the next purchase. What if there are no future purchases? Pretty much like ordering a custom surf board and expecting to get what you ordered. Sounds like you haven't had the problems I had and good for you, for me it sucked cost a lot of money and doesn't fit well
DON'T MEASURE YOURSELF.

This is the second time this issue has come up in this thread - people measuring self instead of getting measured by someone trained to do it and ending up with poor fit.

This has always seemed obvious to me. It's a really bad idea IMO, a wetsuit is not like something out of a Land's End catalog.

I haven't had these issues. My fit has always been good.

My last suit absolutely took longer than usual, similar to yours, I was not surprised considering the circumstances (COVID19 pandemic, boats stacked outside the harbor @ Long Beach). Usually about a 4 week wait otherwise.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
When it comes to feet and hands everyone is different.

I hate booties too, but usually by about 55 I need them to feel the board properly.

Regardless, 60 and below is cold.

If it wasn't we'd be wearing trunks or springsuits.

Modern surfing makes it this way. You need to be fast and loose.

If we were all knee paddling and riding longboards it'd be a little different but guys were still wearing wool sweaters in Santa Cruz pre-wetsuit.
Neither my hands or feet usually get cold and agree fast and loose and reason why I try to wear as little neoprene as possible.
64+ trunks & vest
56-58+ 2mm short sleeve fullsuit
54-56 3mm hyperfreak comp
53-below 4/3 hood 'bong furnace
Here in 805 normal year my 2mm short sleeve full gets the most use of all my suits and helps make my winter suits last:shaka:

Reactions: chilly1

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Neither my hands or feet usually get cold and agree fast and loose and reason why I try to wear as little neoprene as possible.
64+ trunks & vest
56-58+ 2mm short sleeve fullsuit
54-56 3mm hyperfreak comp
53-below 4/3 hood 'bong furnace
Here in 805 normal year my 2mm short sleeve full gets the most use of all my suits and helps make my winter suits last:shaka:
If you are wearing a 2mil s/s full at 56 degrees you must have extraordinary cold tolerance.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If you are wearing a 2mil s/s full at 56 degrees you must have extraordinary cold tolerance.
Only if its sunny no wind later morning afternoon session last time I did this was last spring right before Summer we had one last upwelling and h20 dropped from 58 to 56 over night up at Gaviota:socrazy:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Can someone explain the logic behind this new trend of 2/2 and 3/3? All your blood/core heat is in your torso—— and thicker wetsuits feel constrictive in your arms and legs. I’ve never thought... gee i wish this chest panel was just a little flexier. Wouldn’t a 4/2 be way more helpful if you’re trying to maximize stretch/warm ratios?
Maybe I'd love a 2/1 fullsuit if I tried it but I'd worry a little about durability/tears. I've had a few xcel 2/2 fulls and a fancy Hurley ($420 before tax) and I've gotten a shitload of good use out of all three. I am going into year 3 or 4 on my current 2/2 xcel comp and I just love the thing.

Considerably warmer than the shortsleeve full and considerably more flexible than a 3/2 with vulcanized/smoothie chest/back.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Maybe I'd love a 2/1 fullsuit if I tried it but I'd worry a little about durability/tears. I've had a few xcel 2/2 fulls and a fancy Hurley ($420 before tax) and I've gotten a shitload of good use out of all three. I am going into year 3 or 4 on my current 2/2 xcel comp and I just love the thing.

Considerably warmer than the shortsleeve full and considerably more flexible than a 3/2 with vulcanized/smoothie chest/back.
$420:foreheadslap:
Hell my 2mm ss full I got on sale from patagucci was still half that price full price:socrazy:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
+1 on the 2/2 xcel comp. I bought it kind of on a lark, but I use it all the time, much more than my 3/2.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sounds DANK
The first time I went to bat for that suit on the erBB I wore some heckling but I got 4 years out of it and only the last year was it not money down to the mid/lower 50s - caveat the booties come on somewhere between 58-60, season/conditions depending, and under 55 = gloves.

It was almost as flexy-free as the 2/2 Xcel (no smoothskin/vulcanized rubber) and almost as warm as the Drylock/Infinity.

$420:foreheadslap:
Hell my 2mm ss full I got on sale from patagucci was still half that price full price:socrazy:
You live in Santa Barbara or some sh!t what is $500 out there, an hour of meter food on State Street? Kick rocks, Richer.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The first time I went to bat for that suit on the erBB I wore some heckling but I got 4 years out of it and only the last year was it not money down to the mid/lower 50s - caveat the booties come on somewhere between 58-60, season/conditions depending, and under 55 = gloves.

It was almost as flexy-free as the 2/2 Xcel (no smoothskin/vulcanized rubber) and almost as warm as the Drylock/Infinity.

You live in Santa Barbara or some sh!t what is $500 out there, an hour of meter food on State Street? Kick rocks, Richer.
My point was I pay $400+ for 4/3 but 2mm short sleeve full is already flexible and quick drying so I pay 200+ for good seams and materials that hopefully last. My last one bodyglove pr1me lasted 4 years still alright for 60+ and I was going to replace with hyperfreak but the patagucci was on sale and wanted to try it :shaka:

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@ casa
DON'T MEASURE YOURSELF.

This is the second time this issue has come up in this thread - people measuring self instead of getting measured by someone trained to do it and ending up with poor fit.

This has always seemed obvious to me. It's a really bad idea IMO, a wetsuit is not like something out of a Land's End catalog.

I haven't had these issues. My fit has always been good.

My last suit absolutely took longer than usual, similar to yours, I was not surprised considering the circumstances (COVID19 pandemic, boats stacked outside the harbor @ Long Beach). Usually about a 4 week wait otherwise.
This was long before covid (at least lock down) and with the number of other things wrong doesn't fill me with confidence that they got the measurements right, pretty presumptuous that one can't follow directions and take some basic measurement with a tailor's tape in mm ( I had someone that is a hobby seamstress take them ,twice). The lack any real resolution about the wrong thickness and material type is **** poor customer service. The color issues wasn't that big a deal once the suit is wet. I like the material, very supple and the smooth skin has held up far better than any other I've had(and it's not slippery) when you f@ck someone's order up as bad as they did, they should do something to make it right. Besides see you next time, complete bs ( with all that I still want the Japanese version chest zip(pull over))

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
@ casa

This was long before covid (at least lock down) and with the number of other things wrong doesn't fill me with confidence that they got the measurements right, pretty presumptuous that one can't follow directions and take some basic measurement with a tailor's tape in mm ( I had someone that is a hobby seamstress take them ,twice). The lack any real resolution about the wrong thickness and material type is **** poor customer service. The color issues wasn't that big a deal once the suit is wet. I like the material, very supple and the smooth skin has held up far better than any other I've had(and it's not slippery) when you f@ck someone's order up as bad as they did, they should do something to make it right. Besides see you next time, complete bs ( with all that I still want the Japanese version chest zip(pull over))
It sucks you had a bad experience.

I still would never have someone other than the person supplying the product measure me. The people doing the measurements have done it 100s of times and been trained to do so. In that case if your suit comes out funny you have much more of a leg to stand on.

When you do the measuring yourself that leaves open the chance that you measured wrong and you're at fault and it's gonna be a whole lot tougher to get that sorted out.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
It sucks you had a bad experience.

I still would never have someone other than the person supplying the product measure me. The people doing the measurements have done it 100s of times and been trained to do so. In that case if your suit comes out funny you have much more of a leg to stand on.

When you do the measuring yourself that leaves open the chance that you measured wrong and you're at fault and it's gonna be a whole lot tougher to get that sorted out.
I was stoked they had a size in stock that fit me. Love that suit. I hope it lasts longer than my Xcels. Thanks for the tips on the customs.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Fastest customer service EVER.

I had a s/s full with seams that leaked like a civ the first time it touched water.

I sent it back to them on a Tuesday had a brand spankin new suit on a Friday.

New suit was the same model, same size, and cut totally different. Oh, and the seams still leaked.
Yeah we discussed how your donuts aren't dunked enough for you to come up with $3 of some sh!t in a caulk tube and fix it same day because you're above looking like you were eating hershey syrup right out of the bottle and spilled it all over yourself. However, like the Smoke Dogg in Friday, I don't give a f--k.

Next season, just for you, I'm going to fix some leaks with black Gorilla-brand waterproof patch & seal tape and review it on the erBB.

Prepare it.