Bobby Quad

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm not a buzz aficionado like some of y'all but this doesn't look all that much like a MR Buzz to me.

It kinda looks like more like an even more squashed down Pod Mod.

My buddy in Cabo just got a new Pod Mod (he had the OG Pod ages ago and loved it) and he's so frothy about it.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm not a buzz aficionado like some of y'all but this doesn't look all that much like a MR Buzz to me.

It kinda looks like more like an even more squashed down Pod Mod.

My buddy in Cabo just got a new Pod Mod (he had the OG Pod ages ago and loved it) and he's so frothy about it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
01366CEA-55D5-4C7C-B7DA-18267F94B5CC.png

heres Bobby order sheet, well best I could screenshot off the stab video. Based on what size bobby is riding his model and That IG clip sounds like he clicked with the MR buzz but the finished product looks more like a super buzz to me.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Wheres the line between ripoff and ”inspired by”...and is any form of inspired by ok in the shaping world? Serious question, not trying to be a smart@$$.

I’m a huge stretch fan boy, with 4 currently in the quiver. But didn’t Bobby first ride the Mr Buzz like 6 or 7 years ago? If they’ve been tweaking it for that long, and the last year and a half Yadin and the rest of the team has also been tweaking it, I think we’re out of ripoff territory. To me ripoff is when Roberts dropped the White Diamond and everyone else had a replica in their line within 4 months.
I think this has been widely debated and since there are not any established rules or laws, me thinks its governed by the industry and mass consensus - which basically means nothing.

I remember in 2013 when Tomo called out Biolos and CI for copying the V4 design. Nothing came of it. Lost still released their "weekend warrior" design (horrible name) and I think CI still released a model as well. Nobody was reprimanded. Nobody was scolded. No sales lost. Effectively, the design was "borrowed" and sold without consequence.

I think that goes for anyone who's ever "borrowed" a design. The shapers might fuss and fight (online à la Tudor style or Lovelace style) but it appears that in the end -- nothing happens.

In terms of design progression it makes sense and I'm sure we all reap the benefits the most. But for the shaper that put in hours/days/weeks/months/years of design evolution for someone to just come along and "borrow" it - I'm sure its frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I think this has been widely debated and since there are not any established rules or laws, me thinks its governed by the industry and mass consensus - which basically means nothing.

I remember in 2013 when Tomo called out Biolos and CI for copying the V4 design. Nothing came of it. Lost still released their "weekend warrior" design (horrible name) and I think CI still released a model as well. Nobody was reprimanded. Nobody was scolded. No sales lost. Effectively, the design was "borrowed" and sold without consequence.

I think that goes for anyone who's ever "borrowed" a design. The shapers might fuss and fight (online à la Tudor style or Lovelace style) but it appears that in the end -- nothing happens.

In terms of design progression it makes sense and I'm sure we all reap the benefits the most. But for the shaper that put in hours/days/weeks/months/years of design evolution for someone to just come along and "borrow" it - I'm sure its frustrating to say the least.
late to the party duuu. griffin posted photos during that exchange with the same tail made in the 70's. matt biolos just plugged the wrong shaper (manny cairo vs tomo)

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
View attachment 113039

heres Bobby order sheet, well best I could screenshot off the stab video. Based on what size bobby is riding his model and That IG clip sounds like he clicked with the MR buzz but the finished product looks more like a super buzz to me.
Good prices back then. Also nice to see him go heavy on the glassing.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Pretty sure Bobby wasn’t paying full price, probably closer to cost. I think the Bobby Quad looks better but I haven’t ridden either

Reactions: sdsrfr

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Surfed with Bert this morning. He manages the Surfboard Factory Outlet/Laminations. They build and bring in CI boars. I asked him about the Bobby Quad. He said no interest yet. But they can’t make enough Fish Beards and Twin Pins. The erbb is at least 6 months ahead of the flavor of the month curve.