Feb 23, 2010
PNW
hello

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
hello
Pretty much the same as what I'm waiting on from them (but color tint and white plugs). I was told today mine should be done late next week. I would have grabbed this in a sec if I didn't have one on order. I don't love the shape info lam between the fins, kinda screams overseas pop-out IMHO.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I'm pretty close to yolo'ing a townsend...
How did you choose 6'7 length?
Here's the exchange:
___
Me:
First, congratulations on the EAST win! They were SHREDDING on the plasmics.

My buddy won't shut up about how much he loves his Townsend (and his plasmic, but I digress). I'd really like to try one as well.

He's almost 200lbs at 6', and rides a 6'10 asym with a little bump. What would be some dims that yield the same performance for 5'8" 165lb me?

I'm probably going to order through Varial if that affects dims or glassing schedule you'd recommend.
___
His reply:
thx [sixty]!

Ya the Townsend is as fun as it gets

They go better with some length so I wouldn't go too small so probably something like:
6'6"-6'7" x 19.75" x 2.5"

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Here's the exchange:
___
Me:

My buddy won't shut up about how much he loves his Townsend (and his plasmic, but I digress). I'd really like to try one as well.

He's almost 200lbs at 6', and rides a 6'10 asym with a little bump. What would be some dims that yield the same performance for 5'8" 165lb me?

I'm probably going to order through Varial if that affects dims or glassing schedule you'd recommend.
___
His reply:
thx [sixty]!

They go better with some length so I wouldn't go too small so probably something like:
What’s the sizing for plasmic for your 200 lb buddy?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here's the exchange:
___
Me:

___
His reply:
thx [sixty]!

So about 10" taller than your height.

I was thinking of doing 6'9" x 19.69" x 2.69"

lol

or just a stock 6'10 or even 7'0 since I have a 6'6 f-rocket that I like in small to well overhead waves.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I know I've posted about the Townsend before but it's a long thread at this point.

My first Townsend was the asym in PU. 6'8 x 19.5 x 2.6

Rode it a lot in the points down south the past two winters. I'm 6'3" x 180. I let my buddy borrow it for a month because I was coming home and he loved the thing and was bumming on the rest of his quiver. He's more like 5'10 165-170 and it worked well for him.

I went shorter on the round tail XTR one I ordered next. 6'6" x 19.75 x 2.6

I do think the slightly wider, shorter and lighter one is more fun in small surf and I like the round tail better backside. It probably gives up a little at the top end compared to the narrower, longer and heavier asym which has functioned well for me as a Baja step up.

I could see a bigger one being a lot of fun and I might have to try one at some point.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I’m the buddy he’s referring to. Mine is a stock 6’10. Love it. Thing feels like I’m snowboarding on the big open faced reefs. But where I was most surprised is how well it went in good waves/barrels. I use it as a proper step up now.

my plasmic is 5’5x20.5x2.5

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
What’s the sizing for plasmic for your 200 lb buddy?
I'm about your size, Duffy. 6'3, 195lbs. Mine is 5'7, 21, 2.65. Perfect amount of float for me. Could have gone a little longer and narrower but it's fine.

I'm getting this board dialed in. Definitely wants to be surfed hard off the back foot. All those little area reductions in the tail and that channel make it prone to slashing and pivoty turns rather than long rail carves. It's a good twin for tight pockets and fast transitions. Very unlike a keel fin swallow tail.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Totally agree. while you can high line to your heart’s content, it really wants a steeper face for quick hits and slashes over a drawn out cutback out on the shoulder back into the pocket.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm about your size, Duffy. 6'3, 195lbs. Mine is 5'7, 21, 2.65. Perfect amount of float for me. Could have gone a little longer and narrower but it's fine.

I'm getting this board dialed in. Definitely wants to be surfed hard off the back foot. All those little area reductions in the tail and that channel make it want prone to slashing and pivoty turns rather than long rail carves. It's a good twin for tight pockets and fast transitions. Very unlike a keel fin swallow tail.

I'm getting this board dialed in. Definitely wants to be surfed hard off the back foot. All those little area reductions in the tail and that channel make it want prone to slashing and pivoty turns rather than long rail carves. It's a good twin for tight pockets and fast transitions. Very unlike a keel fin swallow tail.
Cool. Mine is 5’6 x 20.5 x 2.5.
Floats good for me (I somehow hit 205 lbs without increasing my waist size).

I asked because I was just interested in what other real men are riding.

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I'm 6' x 165 and I have a 7'0" PU/PE Townsend that used to be Michael Townsend's. I freaking love it in big wintertime reefbreaks but also really enjoy it on smaller bowly waves as well. I kinda want a 6'7" for this winter but my 5'8" Twinsman through Varial still isnt done and I ordered it in February...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm 6' x 165 and I have a 7'0" PU/PE Townsend that used to be Michael Townsend's. I freaking love it in big wintertime reefbreaks but also really enjoy it on smaller bowly waves as well. I kinda want a 6'7" for this winter but my 5'8" Twinsman through Varial still isnt done and I ordered it in February...
Hit ‘em up. I ordered mine through Varial in March or April and already received and surfrd the snot out of it. Maybe you got some hipster swirls putting you in a longer line.