Official Bird & Nature Post

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Moments ago, was looking out the rear window, suddenly movement from the sky to the pear tree, nearly at same time, finches/sparrows bolt from the pear tree.

Split second later, this Sharp-shinned hawk breaks out of pear tree, moving sort of like a bizarre lizard using it wings to pull its way through the branches/leaves, then leaps/flaps to the fence.

Grab the pocket camera nearby (set there for just such things), and get two quick snaps before it takes off:

View attachment 111403View attachment 111404

Auto setting through dusty windows and then further reduced quality by cut and paste snips...sorry about that.
Coopers Hawk. They look very similar but a Sharp Shinned is much smaller than that one. Coopers is the size of a crow and a sharp shinned is the size of a BlueJay. Shape and size of the head/neck in the first shot is clearly Coopers as well.

Reactions: Boneroni and Hump

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Coopers Hawk. They look very similar but a Sharp Shinned is much smaller than that one. Coopers is the size of a crow and a sharp shinned is the size of a BlueJay. Shape and size of the head/neck in the first shot is clearly Coopers as well.
I think you are right about the size aspect. This was about the size of a medium sized crow and definitely bigger than large scrub jay (no true Blue Jay in California)

When I looked up how to tell the difference between the two, I found this.

1623953377720.png

Zoomed in photo:

1623953156945.png

Thanks for the update.:cheers:

PS
I did try to ID it by looking at my bird book. Even with book help, I need hand holding.

Last edited:

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
An old friend of many years has a nice property just south of Campbell River which is very attractive to a few of our local Deer population. Yesterday this Doe decided to climb a tree to reach some succulent leaves, and Karen was able to take a lot of photos of the event. Here's a couple of them.

Sizing up the situation.

DeerInTree3.jpg

So close from this angle.
DeerInTree1.jpg

Gotcha!!
DeerInTree4.jpg

Enjoying the reward.

DeerInTreeReward.jpg

Tons of Deer around these days for some reason.

Take care.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
related:

we need to support our drone pilots... - blech
I've seen several iterations of that story on the web in the past two weeks. Sounds like bullshit urban legend sort of sh!t by someone with a hard-on for drones. Sorry but I don't buy that a small inanimate object falling from the sky caused what is being claimed. How is the local fox population?

Reactions: Boneroni

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I've seen several iterations of that story on the web in the past two weeks. Sounds like bullshit urban legend sort of sh!t by someone with a hard-on for drones. Sorry but I don't buy that a small inanimate object falling from the sky caused what is being claimed. How is the local fox population?
I agree - hard to pinpoint whether this was the exact cause - though they do mention the adults abandoning the nests. So unless the fox population jumped up quickly and became more aggressive than usual it would be hard to believe as well. This is a preserve so it's monitored more closely than just any 'ole area.