Official Bird & Nature Post

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I agree - hard to pinpoint whether this was the exact cause - though they do mention the adults abandoning the nests. So unless the fox population jumped up quickly and became more aggressive than usual it would be hard to believe as well. This is a preserve so it's monitored more closely than just any 'ole area.

OC Register Article Re Drone Crash at Bolsa Chica Nesting Area

http://instagr.am/p/CPrbUUUMo6u/
http://instagr.am/p/CPtwNnwNKUt/

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yeah the fox population jumped and there's after-the-fact photos of a gabillion intact eggs sprawled in the open with negative zero cover. Instead of a bunch of smirking, engorged foxes laid out among a million of the things making the Dogecoin face at you. SO MUCH EGG. VERY MUCH OMELET. MANY BENEDICT.

I could see feral cats disturbing parents and not getting into the eggs, but foxes?

A next-level science project would be using hobbyist drone sh!t to make a surface to air anti-drone defense network.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I could see feral cats disturbing parents and not getting into the eggs, but foxes?
I mentioned foxes because here on the East Coast they close beaches to humans to protect birds and turtles. The local fox population finds them delectable though. Used to see tons of foxes. In response to that the state DEP came in and killed the foxes to save the birds. This year we have had an explosion of rabbits on our island like I've never seen before. At any given time this summer you will find 3 to 5 rabbits in my back yard and the record is 8.

Bunnies everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what the eye of a rabbit looks like from 6 feet away with a 300mm Canon L lens. image is cropped.

Reactions: npsp

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
This old crippled cat adopted me when I moved here so I put a bed for her under my RV and fed her regularly as she was pretty skinny when first we met. She was born with deformed front legs and runs on her elbows and has really well muscled haunches. She lies in wait in the bush behind my place and when innocent baby bunny comes along she pounces and bites.
She brought me this one about eight years ago and seemed quite proud of herself for catching it. Poor thing was barely dead and still warm. Since then the cat has taken up residence with a widow down the line from me and is living the life of Riley. Great old cat and is about 20 years old now.

BootyBunny.JPG

Take care.