Surf Ranch Pro Getting Torched

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I put it on as a distraction while I worked. I watched three waves and turned it off. Unwatchable repetition narrated by nasally brospeak drivel
You lasted 1 wave more than I did. I caught one of Dumphy and one of Slater. Unbearable. The wait is too long between rides. They shouldn't even do this one as a live broadcast. They should just produce a 1 hour made for internet TV show no different than the way the OP Pro was brought to television in the 80s.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
looks more like a longboard wave - i hope we see someone take a longboard out.

on that note - there are clearly conditions that favor longboarding vs shortboading vs midlengthing...that's what we've got for contests today.

Though - for people who shred - it's also clear that boards don't matter - anyone can be the best at any location based on how they ride a wave. It would be cool to see a few contests where top surfers can shred whatever they like (with a diverse crew of board selectors participating) to just see who surfs really well. Might be a nice change - rather than trying to judge the best 'maneuver' sequence we instead judge holistic wave riding, radical-ness, and style.

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
how much did WSL pay for this beast?

A+ to slater man on the sale. really cool art installation he made.

i think freeride wrote the article on BG about how nothing has changed in 5yrs. impressive display of poor management and planning the seem to have pulled off.

I think the pools peak was the Aussie Olympic team renting it for a week for team building.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
what really has me puzzled is that they are now going to have a primetime show on network television, week after week - at this wave?

Cant even get a bunch of surfers to watch more than a minute - hows the primetime tv crowd going to swallow it?

On top of that after what 6 or 7 years of this thing being around - its the same. how come it hasnt gotten bigger, more efficient, less predictable?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
what really has me puzzled is that they are now going to have a primetime show on network television, week after week - at this wave?

Cant even get a bunch of surfers to watch more than a minute - hows the primetime tv crowd going to swallow it?

On top of that after what 6 or 7 years of this thing being around - its the same. how come it hasnt gotten bigger, more efficient, less predictable?
they will cast so there is tons of drama. ppl wanna see drama more than surfing. check out the general forum here lolz.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

You would think they would have done some things with the foil or bottom structure to make the wave do more. Someone earlier said Huntington is more interesting and I agree.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

they should have different pulses/speeds of the wave come out randomly and have priority. that way they never know what they're gonna get. looks like a good training wave for turns and barros

Reactions: Boneroni

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
they will cast so there is tons of drama. ppl wanna see drama more than surfing. check out the general forum here lolz.
lil-wardo already came out saying she fell for the producer created drama and will lulz at the final editing.

I bet the show is 90% not surfing.

Reactions: Havoc

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
they should have different pulses/speeds of the wave come out randomly and have priority. that way they never know what they're gonna get. looks like a good training wave for turns and barros
I could be wrong but I don't think it works that way.

1. to shape the wave differently, they'd need to change that underwater displacement sled and speed of the machine.

2. the wave is so perfectly predictable, by simply looking at the beginning section, the rider would already know exactly which wave they got.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I tried to listen and watch, and it's just terribly paced insipid BS in between incredibly forced (yet boring) surfing.

The wave is beautiful, though. Watching Strider ride a wave and do appropriate turns that fit the pacing of the wave was really nice though.

I just feel like these guys are gyrating all over this seemless and perfect curl, and having to gyrate even more to chase the wave cause their "shredding" is leaving them behind the wave. Kinda seems like a shame.

Also, the scoring system is total BS. I designed a pretty nifty system in my mind that could make it much less boring. WSL, make me an offer!

Reactions: Havoc

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The whole thing is a monument to Slaters's ego, greed and hypocrisy, best surfer ever though.