How’s the stock market?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I have never owned Tesla (afoaf and the savviest stock picker I know LMAO-ing at my fail existence). My buddy back home bought a Tesla, apparently not even using all of his proceeds from Tesla to do so. He is legendary at picking consumer tech stuff that's about to go explode in popularity/share price.

I sold everything but 2 ETH like a month+ ago, for the reason you mentioned. I'm up bigleague in that time from where I sold the rest of my ETH.

I am up to my nostrils mostly in boring indexes, dividend-paying stuff I've had since they didn't go out of business in 2009 and the dividend was 4% - I said I was never getting a shot at PG, JNJ, KO, etc. at that level of fixed income (questionable way to look at dividends but blow me) ever again.

And cash. Dad health issues, and he lives on the second floor (stairs) and refuses to move. So I need cash on hand to buy a first floor unit where he lives now if he can't do the stairs any more, move him, then clean out/clean up his place now and rent it.
Indexes and funds allow you to retire. Individual stocks allow you to brag. Only one makes you rich.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
When I was watching The Wolf of Wall Street it totally reminded me of a company we did a card access system for in White Plains, NY in the 90's. Our technician on the job came back with stories of a few Ferraris that the top employees of the month could drive, a circus tent set up in the parking lot for a day, uncrating of new Harleys in the parking lot - lots of wild stuff. A guy our tech went to high school with was working there and told our tech that it was pretty boring and formulaic, cold calling to push one stock at a time. They were gone in a year or two.

So I looked back in our records and it was actually the Jonah Hill character's business that he started up after the DiCaprio character had crashed. I have a signed purchase order from him for 100 access cards! :jamon:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Indexes and funds allow you to retire. Individual stocks allow you to brag. Only one makes you rich.
If I can afford to run a window A/C unit overnight, a 250 dual sport, a fishing pole, a mask/snorkel/fins + pole spear, and a roundtail five box shortboard in the third world without having to work, I'll consider myself richer than Jeff Bezos.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
If I can afford to run a window A/C unit overnight, a 250 dual sport, a fishing pole, a mask/snorkel/fins + pole spear, and a roundtail five box shortboard in the third world without having to work, I'll consider myself richer than Jeff Bezos.
this

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Give or take $6mm is where retirement becomes stress free and keeps you from going deep into your principal most years. Reality is that if parents opened up a brokerage account at Chase, Wells, or Morgan Stanley etc and started investing for their kids at a young age...birthday and christmas money allowance etc etc....by the time they were adults they would have a real nest egg. Plus it makes it easier to save when you have a pile of cash to look at.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021
I think a person who does not understand anything about stock markets and, in principle, does not understand finance will find it challenging to invest in something. A friend of mine had about $ 100K and decided that the best solution would be to invest it in something. The only problem is that he does not know how to manage money. He would lose all the money if he invested it wrong. We advised him to contact a financial advisor to get it right. At first, he did not agree. But later, he decided that it was still not worth thoughtlessly spending such an amount. He found the best financial advice to deal with all the difficulties. After working with a financial advisor, he planned all stages of the investment. After a while, he even began to study the stock markets. Now he has learned not only to invest money but also to manage finances correctly.

Last edited:

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Give or take $6mm is where retirement becomes stress free and keeps you from going deep into your principal most years. Reality is that if parents opened up a brokerage account at Chase, Wells, or Morgan Stanley etc and started investing for their kids at a young age...birthday and christmas money allowance etc etc....by the time they were adults they would have a real nest egg. Plus it makes it easier to save when you have a pile of cash to look at.
$6MM in retirement would be very stress free if you can do it. Most can make do with a lot less. You could live a six figure lifestyle with a fraction of that while still growing your principal most years.
I agree that teaching and helping the kids to save and invest is an important life lesson. Make sure that retirement saving starts with their first job.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
$6MM in retirement would be very stress free if you can do it. Most can make do with a lot less. You could live a six figure lifestyle with a fraction of that while still growing your principal most years.
I agree that teaching and helping the kids to save and invest is an important life lesson. Make sure that retirement saving starts with their first job.
6mil is when you get stress free? I could do it with 1.5mil....if you can budget correctly and most likely be debt free going into retirement...your investments make you 15k per year and if you spent another 15k of principle for your yearly budget it would take you 159 years to eat through the 1.5mil....I think I could live off 30k per year if I’m debt free with house paid off...I’m just 1.2mil short, anyone wanna give me some side cash to see if this experiment will work?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
6mil is when you get stress free? I could do it with 1.5mil....if you can budget correctly and most likely be debt free going into retirement...your investments make you 15k per year and if you spent another 15k of principle for your yearly budget it would take you 159 years to eat through the 1.5mil....I think I could live off 30k per year if I’m debt free with house paid off...I’m just 1.2mil short, anyone wanna give me some side cash to see if this experiment will work?
Homeless people live on more than 30k per year.:roflmao:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: afoaf and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
AMC is coming around. Covid vaccines are happening and businesses are starting to open again. The movie experience is part of Americana. It's what we do. And when they open fully again, it's going to be good times. Holding until 20 or higher with usual stack building on pull backs.
Did you end up holding on to your AMC??