Mental Health thread

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Surfing a ton is a surfers best tool for mental health.
everything else is second.
Surfing with a ton of surfers causes me so much anxiety I won’t do it anymore
So much time home
So few waves
And when there are waves, anywhere decent is crowded to the point of it being personally anxiety provoking
So I catch a few sh*t waves down the beach
Quit surfing now
Ask me how

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
So much time home
So few waves
And when there are waves, anywhere decent is crowded to the point of it being personally anxiety provoking
Quit surfing now
Ask me how
Man I feel you on this.

I don’t even have a hard time getting waves when it’s crowded.

But it just takes the fun out of it. I don’t want to spend my mental energy on the line up games anymore like I did when I was younger. It’s just a dumb pointless game in the end. I feel bad for the older guys who haven’t grown out of that phase, and the younger guys who are falling into that trap.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
getting frustrated, got a raise at work and am excelling but being one of the few in the office for the past year has been a drain,
it's been really nice because it is so calm, but the worry about the future of the business and myself has been stressful. I'd rather be busy and have the day fly by. I mainly got a raise because I took over the secretary's job and this other guys's assistants job. Now they are hiring someone else to replace assistant and do secretary work and I am afraid of giving up the responsibilities

re-applied to school for summer. only need 33 hours to graduate but I did terribly last time.
A lot more disciplined now but still fear failure.
Going back to school was the best thing I ever did as far as my professional career goes.

I ended up (staying) in a line of work that was completely different from what I originally went to school for. But i did realize I enjoyed what I did, but had a hard time seeing a future in it. I went back again, and I don’t know how old you are, but to redo it in your later in my twenties was weird at first. In the end I got a good job while still doing my degree that I currently hold a few positions at and got a much clearer vision of my career path.

it got me into a position I was not only appreciated more as an individual, but also compensation wise.

do it. Kelpcutter gave the best advice I could imagine. That’s what kept me going when I was working a 60hr job and going to school at night, getting home at 2am for three years.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I'm 56 this year ... I'd love to spend a few years at an institution of higher learning of my choice.

I'd love to have my mortgages paid in full so I can calmly either do absolutely nothing at all to chase money every month, or put said efforts towards 100% personally gratifying activities such as helping others, preferably the elderly (love the story of the old days and the comparisons as to their difference now), studying an arts career like ancient languages or anthropology/archeology, travel with long extended stays at each location, say a 5 year round the world walkabout maybe.

Unfortunately, reality dictates that as long as I keep getting older, and it not happening, my day to day is what my reality is and making the best of it is no doubt the best path to mental stability.

Acceptance goes a long way. Also, looking back and seeing just how far the path unfolds behind me, with all its twists and turns, makes me hopeful for all the new path yet to be laid, and the excitement of the eternal possibly that lays in that which has yet to come.

Hope that makes sense to someone.

:waving::shaka::cheers::beer:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So much time home
So few waves
Quit surfing now
Ask me how
Right there with you. Metaphor of life for me; I enjoy the company of a few friends but huge crowds? Hard pass. I don't care how good it is; surfing is one of the ways I get away from sh!t and being surrounded by people is defeating the purpose. I would be so bummed if I dropped coin for a surf trip halfway around the world, get there, and it's packed.

I think about it and I've been pretty fortunate over the years when it comes to surfing good waves with very few (if any) people out. A pretty solid percentage have been with no one in the water for at least a half-mile in either direction. Surfing more crowded waves, though, I learned to appreciate the onset of light to moderate onshore winds down south as they clear a lineup fast. Up here, hmmm, yeah, maybe not so much; the wind escalates quickly. But, aside from the smaller (<HH) days, it's generally empty peaks and I'm pretty stocked about that. Anxiety is generally limited to large fish lurking, sneaker sets, and nasty rips. Kind of how it should be; although I could do without the first one.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Right there with you. Metaphor of life for me; I enjoy the company of a few friends but huge crowds? Hard pass. I don't care how good it is; surfing is one of the ways I get away from sh!t and being surrounded by people is defeating the purpose. I would be so bummed if I dropped coin for a surf trip halfway around the world, get there, and it's packed.

I think about it and I've been pretty fortunate over the years when it comes to surfing good waves with very few (if any) people out. A pretty solid percentage have been with no one in the water for at least a half-mile in either direction. Surfing more crowded waves, though, I learned to appreciate the onset of light to moderate onshore winds down south as they clear a lineup fast. Up here, hmmm, yeah, maybe not so much; the wind escalates quickly. But, aside from the smaller (<HH) days, it's generally empty peaks and I'm pretty stocked about that. Anxiety is generally limited to large fish lurking, sneaker sets, and nasty rips. Kind of how it should be; although I could do without the first one.
Sounds like the move was a great call, stoked for you. Maybe someday?

Reactions: Boneroni and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sounds like the move was a great call, stoked for you. Maybe someday?
Thanks. I definitely enjoyed where I was down south and had a pretty solid go-to spot that almost always had waves and was rarely crowded. It's not like I moved from somewhere horrible. But the traffic and congestion did weigh on me hard and I don't miss that one bit. Not dealing with that is good for the mental health.

So glad I seized the job opportunity when it came up. Redwoods, deer, turkey, geese (maybe) etc. beat concrete and scrub brush every day. House shopping starting next month, which will be stressful as hell but at least not moving across the state and it will be nice to settle down in a place that is preferably not in a fire path.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Do you yell, "SQUATZ and OATZ" at depressed people?
"Take your meds, shut up, and go home!"

Said to raving lunatic who was shouting make-believe bible verses while goose stepping back and forth on the sidewalk at an intersection near Howard St and 4th by irate fellow just ahead of me as we were riding bicycles to work (assuming my fellow bicycle rider was going to work).

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
"Take your meds, shut up, and go home!"

Said to raving lunatic who was shouting make-believe bible verses while goose stepping back and forth on the sidewalk at an intersection near Howard St and 4th by irate fellow just ahead of me as we were riding bicycles to work (assuming my fellow bicycle rider was going to work).
How did that work?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
No idea.

I rolled past the intersection in about 5 seconds and didn't look back. May have heard continued raving but was more focused on the block ahead.

Sidewalk goose stepping loon wasn't there the next day so maybe the irate fellow who shouted got the results eventually.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don’t want to spend my mental energy on the line up games anymore like I did when I was younger. It’s just a dumb pointless game in the end.
So instead you spend it on the politics forum? :socrazy:

That is some funny sh!t right there.:roflmao:

I feel bad for the older guys who haven’t grown out of that phase, and the younger guys who are falling into that trap.
You are so wise.

You see through their silly boyish surfboarding shenanigans.:shameonyou: