Ultimate Surfer?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Surfing has become an absolute joke it's so mainstream.

I regularly see people giving classes who literally were students of said classes a week before.

:shameonyou::socrazy::crazy2:

Reactions: Boneroni

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
"theramrod" and "JCS" - if you don't like it, don't fvckin' watch it. I think it's stupid too. However, they surf better than me and they surf better than you. Stop your whining. They're funding it, not you. If you don't like it - make your own show. In the meantime STFU.
While you are correct I dont have to watch, I find all reality shows stupid and fake so I'm going to make fun of this. The thing that bothers me though is I am a fan of watching professional surfing. Pretty much the only sport I really follow. I like the way the QS/CT tours are set up (though not a big fan of this years World Title format) and have always loved following the QS, looking at the points going into the triple crown, seeing who needs what to qualify and pulling for certain surfers to do well in those moments. I just find it lame that they are giving away 2 spots on each tour to whoever does well at reality TV surfing. It kills the integrity of the qualifying series/championship tour format. However I will concede that it is their tour and the can do whatever they want, I just find it disappointing.

The rest of you can go back to calling each other gay now.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
"theramrod" and "JCS" - if you don't like it, don't fvckin' watch it. I think it's stupid too. However, they surf better than me and they surf better than you. Stop your whining. They're funding it, not you. If you don't like it - make your own show. In the meantime STFU.
Considering there are an estimated 20 million surfers worldwide and virtually zero surfing-relevant content on television anywhere, I think a fair few people will watch "Ultimate Surfer" -

I don't blame the surfers for participating, it is hard to make money in surfing these days - you have to take what you can get.

Wave pools are easy. Just flip a switch to make a clean head-high wave, left or right. There's no waiting on the swell, tide, wind, sun, etc. In television production, time is money.

I DO blame the Producers. NFL quarterback rah-rah sports dude as the host? Surfing isn't American football.

Virtually all-white, all American casting? This concept could have been executed soooooo much better.

"Make your own show" - funny you should say that : )

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2014
Hang on, so the winners get a full year on the WORLD TOUR?

And this opportunity is only open to American surfers, because some corporation stumped up a few million.... Hilarious. The WSL making their ‘sport’ less relevant at every turn! I

I wonder exactly how much a spot on the CT costs?

Mar 12, 2014
With a very well defined set of rules about eligibility and how to make the tour....until now.

I can imagine the other athletes who have scrapped their way through years of cr*p waves & conditions on the QS will be thrilled to have these D graders competing with them, just because they look good when out of their wetsuit.
I’m sure they will be warmly welcomed.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
don't get me wrong, personally I wish the whole thing were an april fools joke, but living in the world we live, with trendsetting social media influencers being made out to be the golden age of hollywierd starlets, does any of this really surprise anyone?

"surfers" who "passed the course" last week, teaching the new "surfers".

surfing has become the multi-level marketers wet dream.

Surfing was/is/will be done forever. Let it go, join those who "ride waves when they come, and don't talk about it later" club.

:waving: :roflmao: :shaka: :monkey:

Reactions: damop666

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
GromsDad, i just read that Beachgrit article before coming on here. No surprise Zeke won and that's who I was hoping for (although fellow NC native Mason Barnes is on there) for he's the only one of that entire cast that has CT talent. Scripted? That article also says he will be gifted a wildcard spot into 3 contests next year. That's a bit easier to take as a fan instead of the winner of this show gets a spot on tour.

The WSL sucks at being transparent with stuff. The original article is a bit vague and lets you believe it's a spot on tour thats up for grabs.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
While you are correct I dont have to watch, I find all reality shows stupid and fake so I'm going to make fun of this. The thing that bothers me though is I am a fan of watching professional surfing. Pretty much the only sport I really follow. I like the way the QS/CT tours are set up (though not a big fan of this years World Title format) and have always loved following the QS, looking at the points going into the triple crown, seeing who needs what to qualify and pulling for certain surfers to do well in those moments. I just find it lame that they are giving away 2 spots on each tour to whoever does well at reality TV surfing. It kills the integrity of the qualifying series/championship tour format. However I will concede that it is their tour and the can do whatever they want, I just find it disappointing.

The rest of you can go back to calling each other gay now.
You can think of it another way, if this show somehow increases the popularity of surfing, then more revenue, more sponsors, more money trickles down to the QS guys who may depend on that little bit of cash to make a living

Reactions: theramrod

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
You can think of it another way, if this show somehow increases the popularity of surfing, then more revenue, more sponsors, more money trickles down to the QS guys who may depend on that little bit of cash to make a living
That's a good point, especially considering the many QS journeymen who havent been able to compete for cash for the last year. It'll also be timed closely to surfing's debut in the Olympics so there is a chance for that.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Everywhere I’ve lived as an adult, @casa_mugrienta , people over 30 who has a long term “boyfriend“ or “girlfriend”, calls their partner, partner. (England, Australia).

In fact, anyone over that age with a “boyfriend” or “girlfriend” sounds childish to my ears.

Guess it’s a regional thing?

Reactions: npsp and Mr J