Ultimate Surfer?

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
This feels like the dumbest stunt by the WSL yet. Get some surfers together who have B-C grade skills, have them compete Survivor style for a spot on the WCT. It really is an insult to the surfers of the QS. I will say Zeke Lau is the one surfer who's casted that would belong on the CT. Luke Davis could also take a heat win or two in the right conditions. Even Anastasia has been recruited for this crap. Anyone going to watch this? Even if it is mildly entertaining I don't think I can take any more Turpel then what we already get.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Briana Cope and Tia Blanco are enough for me to watch it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Women's cast is pretty awful. Bruna had some moments back in her day, but everyone else tried and failed on the QS.

The men's is similar. THe floridian kid looks pretty awful. The bif wave kid looks like he has a go, but it'll be useless here. Happy to see Barger get a shot but man.

Reactions: sizzld1

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Anastasia was never on the CT, she's not got the skills for that level at all. She's there because she's comfortable in front of a camera.

Malia Ward has some cred though. I think she was 17 when she pushed Gabe off a wave at Trestles and that's the sh!t legends are made of.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
WSL doubling down on media and entertainment co. kookery or just whoring itself out to make some cash and keep the tour rolling?

Probably the former. If they are going that route, they need make better content.

How lame will this be at Surf Ranch? Put them on some remote location in Indo, get them fucking in tents and charging tubes over shallow reefs, and you might have an interesting show. But no, this is going to be some healthy lifestyle promoting, friendly competition bullshit for sure. The wave itself -- mechanical and sanitized -- is a metaphor for this show.

Last edited:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
the surf ranch :toilet:
"iconic voice of professional surfing Joe Turpel" :toilet:
reality tv :toilet:
Lmao this sucks so bad. I wonder what the deal with the surf ranch is -- obviously kelly is invested in the technology but others at the wsl have to be somehow invested in it right? obviously someone got successfully pitched on the idea that it was going to be the future of competitive surfing, that it would make it a compelling tv product, and it's the opposite of that.

And yeah, half the current ct are people who very obviously don't belong with the top 10ish, and these people are worse than that. Koa smith charges obviously but I saw a clip of him surfing small trestles recently and man, it just wasn't anywhere near the same level as anyone on the ct.

the whole organization genuinely deserves to go out of business

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Luke's brother would be a better call. Luke is almost 30. His little brother is making a comeback from a very serious medical issue and was surfing like he was destined for the top of the CT ranks before the injury. Recent clips look like he is getting his pre-injury form back.

Reactions: sizzld1

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I'm guessing the women in this show were cast partly for their looks. Most videos I've seen from the ranch surfers are wearing wetsuits. That eliminates the only reason I would of watched.

Tarab, I do believe the WSL has invested in the Ranch. Probably had some kooky idea like this in mind when doing so.

Reactions: Tarab_ish

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
If Kelly is in character as Rick Kane for all Ranch Surf scenes then all will be redeemed.

Final episode of this show - we will se one man and one woman receive a sterling silver surfer belt buckle and $5000 cash!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If Kelly is in character as Rick Kane for all Ranch Surf scenes then all will be redeemed.

Final episode of this show - we will se one man and one woman receive a sterling silver surfer belt buckle and $5000 cash!
No No No Silly!!!!! This is the comeback of Jimmy Slade. Pool lifeguard. Red shorts and all.