Ultimate Surfer?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Feels weird to describe the person you live with, have kids with, and have a life with in your late 30's-40's as your girlfriend when you are around grown up strangers.
Maybe you're thinking about it too much.

Live with, have kids with, in you 30s or 40s..."wife" or "husband" makes a lot of sense.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Oh man.

You have no idea.

Gay neighborhoods, gay clubs hosting circuit parties (Junior Vasquez was once the Saturday night resident for these parties), a huge memorial to the victims of the 1980s AIDS crisis, Drag Queen story hour, HQ for the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, and the gay flag flies over Cayucos town hall.
Man, I’m really missing out.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Interesting.

I never hear it used except by gay people so I googled. Looks like it's an anemic new woke trend that will fail (like latinx) so makes sense the WSL is using it because they are trying to be the wokest sports league.

Basically it's straight people wanting to seem woke (partner is gender-neutral because WHY SHOULD GENDER MATTER?) appropriated it from gay people.

And gay people are deservedly laughing at them.

It's kinda funny that for the sake of looking WOKE straight white people want to appropriate gay terminology that actually serves a purpose as a sexual minority.

What, certain groups of people are claiming ownership of words?

Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Interesting.

I never hear it used except by gay people so I googled. Looks like it's an anemic new woke trend that will fail (like latinx) so makes sense the WSL is using it because they are trying to be the wokest sports league.

Basically it's straight people wanting to seem woke (partner is gender-neutral because WHY SHOULD GENDER MATTER?) appropriated it from gay people.

And gay people are deservedly laughing at them.

It's kinda funny that for the sake of looking WOKE straight white people want to appropriate gay terminology that actually serves a purpose as a sexual minority.

Totally disagree. It has nothing to do with being Woke. It's more of an international label. Especially in Europe where more and more couples are deciding to not get married but still live together and raise families. Hence, the reference to partner (life partner).

Reactions: jkb and Boneroni

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Casa - et al calling people out here

how do you identify yourselves (asking as you keep focusing on identifying others as woke/racist/ anti/ etc) what are you fooks?

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I work with plenty of unmarried women of all ages, none of them ever use the term "partner" to describe their boyfriend.

Plenty of unmarried men over the age of 40 too - none of them ever use the term "partner"

I've had plenty of gay men and lesbian women in my personal and work life - yup they use it all the time. Some of them would probably burst out laughing if they heard a straight person use it (or make a comment after they walked away).

These are educated people with bachelors>>>doctorates.
Ok. well I have heard a bunch of straight people use it.
weird convo.

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
It seems strange to have a bunch of already washed up surfers as candidates for the CT. Those guys have tried to get on tour and didn't make it/got smoked.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I work with plenty of unmarried women of all ages, none of them ever use the term "partner" to describe their boyfriend.

Plenty of unmarried men over the age of 40 too - none of them ever use the term "partner"

I've had plenty of gay men and lesbian women in my personal and work life - yup they use it all the time. Some of them would probably burst out laughing if they heard a straight person use it (or make a comment after they walked away).

These are educated people with bachelors>>>doctorates.
So my _______, MD is a lesbian and thinks I am a female lesbian. Or is she male and we are gay. Does it really matter?

This relationship is complicated but is starting to make sense. :jamon:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I'm old and un-hip and I know several hetero, non-married couples that refer to their significant other as their partner. I even hear parents refer to their adult children's significant other as the partner.
This and this.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Totally disagree. It has nothing to do with being Woke. It's more of an international label. Especially in Europe where more and more couples are deciding to not get married but still live together and raise families. Hence, the reference to partner (life partner).
And this.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Cacita whining about gender issues in a unrelated thread, just another day in erbb.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ok. well I have heard a bunch of straight people use it.
weird convo.
This and this.
And this.
LOL

If anything it's a very small minority of people who use the term and moreso a certain "type" of person.

Kinda like the guy who was on here talking about how all the latino people in his office want to be called "latinx" when practically every latino person I know, including family members, either thinks it's a weirdo wannabe woke anglo thing or have never even heard of such a term.