*** Official Shark Thread ***

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
RIP bodyboader

"The teeth marks in his bodyboard are confirmed as that of a very large great white shark, possibly the same shark spotted from the air earlier in the week."

Jan 4, 2009
San Diego
Been surfing Torrey Pines beach lately. Every session I spend with one or two juvenile great whites swimming amongst the lineup. Got used to them and they don't appear aggressive at all. Last session one swam under my board as i was paddling for a set and his fin brushed the bottom of my board. Freaked me out and I missed the wave. Should i not be surfing with them in the water. No reports on the news lately about this. Anyone else seeing juveniles cruising their lineups?

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
They are all over Torrey Pines right now. A friend talked to the lifeguard there a couple weeks ago and said they are spotted at the South end almost daily.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Been surfing Torrey Pines beach lately. Every session I spend with one or two juvenile great whites swimming amongst the lineup. Got used to them and they don't appear aggressive at all. Last session one swam under my board as i was paddling for a set and his fin brushed the bottom of my board. Freaked me out and I missed the wave. Should i not be surfing with them in the water. No reports on the news lately about this. Anyone else seeing juveniles cruising their lineups?
tis the season. a few summers ago south bay was like that. every sesh was sharky. first time i saw one first hand immediately went to paddle in but no one else did so i stayed. theier just chilling, looking for tiny fish. i got used to it after a couple sessions.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I love this thread, I learn more about sharks here than on sharkweek!

How long do the juveniles hang out there before they start heading north, and what are the natural predators of those juvenile sized sharks?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

How long do the juveniles hang out there before they start heading north, and what are the natural predators of those juvenile sized sharks?
Larger sharks and orcas are their natural predators. Maybe giant squid in the deeper waters? No idea how long they hang out. Check Marine CSI for trackers in the Pacific.

Reactions: b.r.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Try to make friends with him.

Having a great white for a friend would be cool.

• Haha
Reactions: bluengreen
Apr 4, 2020
There has been a 5' shark hanging around Dog Patch at San O for the past three weeks. Then last night a 10' shark cruised through Dog Patch, sending 4 foilers to the beach. The 10 footer swam underneath one the foilers as he waited for a wave.

Since 2000, 6 of 12 shark attacks in San Diego county have happened at San O (includes Trails and Churches).

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Here in 805 its the territory biggest predator separate juveniles from the landlords. The juvs hang at bed'wetter, harbor, and cam'Puss etc and the big guys/gals feast in the Channel Islands:shark:

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Here in 805 its the territory biggest predator separate juveniles from the landlords. The juvs hang at bed'wetter, harbor, and cam'Puss etc and the big guys/gals feast in the Channel Islands:shark:
That's kinda what I was thinking, but it does seem like there are huge whites all the way from Guadeloupe to Oregon though. I wonder what the mortality rate is for the juveniles, from San O on up to the Bay Area, are these all the same sharks ?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That's kinda what I was thinking, but it does seem like there are huge whites all the way from Guadeloupe to Oregon though. I wonder what the mortality rate is for the juveniles, from San O on up to the Bay Area, are these all the same sharks ?
Pretty difficult to track and tons of speculation but remember last VAFB surf attack tried to track and look for gws Spring time at Guadeloupe island. Also what fuked with marine scientist studying gws behavior was siting in Hawaiians deep watet:eek:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think their numbers are rebounding back from a low in the 1970's-80's and they are basically re-inhabiting the territories they once inhabited.

Since there are more sharks, the big adults who frequent the well known feeding ground hotspots protect those spots and chase the up and comers away. The up and comers have to find new feeding ground and that's (I think) why we're seeing more in areas we're not typically used to seeing them.

Same thing with birthing grounds. The typical birthing hotspots are becoming overcrowded, so new (to us) birthing spots are being used. The young tend to follow water temps, so if it remains warm year long, they are happy to stay......like when the warm blob was around the CA coast for a few years. If the water gets cold, I think they head south to something more comfortable.

Last edited:

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I think their numbers are rebounding back from a low in the 1970's-80's and they are basically re-inhabiting the territories they once inhabited.

Since there are more sharks, the big adults who frequent the well known feeding ground hotspots protect those spots and chase the up and comers away. The up and comers have to find new feeding ground and that's (I think) why we're seeing more in areas we're not typically used to seeing them.

Same thing with birthing grounds. The typical birthing hotspots are becoming overcrowded, so new (to us) birthing spots are being used. The young tend to follow water temps, so if it remains warm year long, they are happy to stay......like when the warm blob was around the CA coast for a few years. If the water gets cold, I think they head south to something more comfortable.

Wow! Thank you so much for the info, is this similar to what is happening in Massachusetts too?

Reactions: jkb