Board test for the every day surfer

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Kinda weird that he tried the flat earth as a thruster and 2+1 but not a twin, apparently has nothing against twins as the Album twin was his second pick, and said that he preferred the flat earth as a thruster over a 2+1. The board is substantially different as a twin.

How do you make sense of that?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think his style is sort of weird looking, but his board placement and technique are so good, that he has some excellent turns. I enjoyed the review/series, but its definitely subjective to the kinds of waves and boards that suit his surfing.

The last session looked like Lennox? That point did not look crowded and those waves looked soooo good. :love:

Reactions: Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Yeap, it looked like the winner from the get go. He also highlighted the difference between the pool and ocean conditions, which speaks to @freeride76 's criticism. Is it an unreleased model, can;t seem to find it in their lineup?

Can't help but wonder whether he shouldn't have been on a touch more volume.

edit: Found it in DA's site ... comes across as a bit skinny for the length for my liking :/

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Staggering to me that in the Medina, Jordy and JJF era, all of whom added extra volume and improved their surfing, or at least how it looks, there are still recreational surfers short-changing themselves and as a result their surfing looks weak, tinny and underpowered.

That lesson should have been well learnt by now.

anyway, great series, Kale is easily the best at what he does.

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think that was part of the issue on the shadow also. Its even leaner than the sharp eye otr stock dims. My Shadow I find has a pretty good low range for a hpsb, but its sized more like the dims on their XL versions & in xtr.

I thought he looked rough on the twinsman at first in the ocean, but once he got a good feel for it he was able to lay into some pretty good turns and started looking a lot more comfortable.

The FE test was a let down. Why you dont atleast try it as a twin makes no sense. And from what i remember his 2+1 had a pretty big trailer

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I think that was part of the issue on the shadow also. Its even leaner than the sharp eye otr stock dims. My Shadow I find has a pretty good low range for a hpsb, but its sized more like the dims on their XL versions & in xtr.

I thought he looked rough on the twinsman at first in the ocean, but once he got a good feel for it he was able to lay into some pretty good turns and started looking a lot more comfortable.

The FE test was a let down. Why you dont atleast try it as a twin makes no sense. And from what i remember his 2+1 had a pretty big trailer
All of them struck me as anaemic for his size.

He's basically my exact weight and build (I reckon he's well on his way to having the same shiny "hairstyle" as me in a couple more years :D ), and since I've gone up from 28ish to 30 - 34L I've also seen the light of more foam :D

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I was just watching a video of Slater saying that on the wave it's all about rocker and rail lines and volume is more relevant to paddling.

Reactions: ReForest

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I was just watching a video of Slater saying that on the wave it's all about rocker and rail lines and volume is more relevant to paddling.

Pretty easy to test this for yourself.
I swapped boards with a mate of mine in the lineup...similar "performance fish" type shape as mine was at the time. His board was 26L and mine 31L.

Sure, I noticed paddling way more, but while surfing his it felt like a dog compared to mine, even though I could technically get away with surfing his.

The context of Kelly's input in that video is that he's referring to finer adjustments, not being out of your volume ballpark, which I'm proposing Kale's verging on.

Reactions: oeste858