Leash strings

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Yeah quit trying to derail this thread you started @sdsrfr

I came here for good, old fashioned leash string talk.

So what kinda leash string knots are you guys liking? I'm fond of the one where the thing goes around the thing, under the thing and then through the thing. You know the one.
Backside, I like a double barrel knot. Front side, double figure 8. Thinking about going asym on my next string.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Yes obviously. But the outer colored woven nylon always seems to burn faster than the white straight inside fibers! And then it starts snaking out. Maybe it’s just me. I shouldn’t buy the cheap Home Depot cord.
Edit: This thread is the most ridiculous one yet.
Heat the blade of an old butter knife with a torch. Use this to cut the cord instead of a knife or scissors. Then use the hot blade to shape and melt the ends a little extra to prevent fraying.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
When I recently picked up my Haydenshapes' custom in El Segundo I noticed there was no leash string when I was putting the board in my car. Thinking they'd have the nice ones like CI and Pyzel, I walked back and asked for one. The guy handed me the thinnest string imaginable and warned me that they stretch and he had one rip through a tail the previous week. They're branded and have rubber-tipped ends. I don't know why they opted for the chintzy ones.

I have one of those spendy Da Kine Kaimana leashes that came with an over-engineered string. I put it on the Hayden and noticed yesterday that that had stretched into tail danger zone. I had two Shapers Australia leash strings that are even more robust than the CI/Pyzel ones and used one of those this a.m.

As others have mentioned, I've never broken a leash string in my 40 years of surfing, but for some odd reason, I'll swap my nice ones for the regular old type when I get rid of a board.
You really must hate Haydenshapes now.....:poke: