Hawaii- Done

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
@SurfFuerteventura i thought for a second you said your dad was Franco :drowning:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

my dad left Spain because of Franco. He ate soap because of Franco. He was forced to leave his home, while at University, for fear he'd get enlisted and forced to fight the "republicanos", many of whom where friends and family members, against his will. He had no chicken in it, left because of it, had his family forced to the edge of famine, and even lost two sisters to starvation.

Yeah, he was NOT anything to do with Franco.

Back to O. P.

I wish I knew more about King Kamehameha, are there any good resources online to read about Hawaiian history recommended by the locals who post up in here? :unsure::geek::unsure:

• Sad
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

my dad left Spain because of Franco. He ate soap because of Franco. He was forced to leave his home, while at University, for fear he'd get enlisted and forced to fight the "republicanos", many of whom where friends and family members, against his will. He had no chicken in it, left because of it, had his family forced to the edge of famine, and even lost two sisters to starvation.

Yeah, he was NOT anything to do with Franco.

Back to O. P.

I wish I knew more about King Kamehameha, are there any good resources online to read about Hawaiian history recommended by the locals who post up in here? :unsure::geek::unsure:
My aunt is a Franco. She’s a bitch.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I wish I knew more about King Kamehameha, are there any good resources online to read about Hawaiian history recommended by the locals who post up in here?
for old hawaii history here's some basics there's allot more choices on modern hawaiian culture

1. The Kumulipo: A Hawaiian Creation Chant (oral history)
Martha Beckwith/ Rubellite Kawena Johnson
ISBN 9790824807719
online at www.ulukau.org

2. Hawaiian Antiquities: Mo'olelo Hawai'i
David Malo
ISBN 0910240159
ISBN13 9780910240154

3. Ruling Chiefs of Hawaii
Samuel Kamakau
ISBN 0873360141
ISBN13 9780873360142

4. Ancient History of The Hawaiian People To The Times of Kamehameha I
Abraham Fornander
ISBN 1566471478
ISBN13 9781566471473

But if you're lazy you can begin your journey by watching these as they are somewhat comprehensive although the pronunciations is terrible

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
we know this because we were forced to history/language/culture/chantand dance/glee...very few teenagers want to learn all that junk...but now 30 yrs later im glad we did...but you wouldn't believe how many "hawaiians" dont know this stuff....from westside or hauula side born and raised on the reservation...they have no idea...
You will find that in a lot of immigrant families.

Growing up my dad was very strict about speaking pidgin and didn’t want me too.

Not because he was against it or anything cause our entire family was from the plantations but he worried that it would set me and my brother back in the “white mans world”.

I thought he was just being obnoxious growing up but he really just wanted my brother and I to be able to succeed.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You will find that in a lot of immigrant families.

Growing up my dad was very strict about speaking pidgin and didn’t want me too.

Not because he was against it or anything cause our entire family was from the plantations but he worried that it would set me and my brother back in the “white mans world”.

I thought he was just being obnoxious growing up but he really just wanted my brother and I to be able to succeed.
Many of my American born Spanish friends growing up same:(

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha same. My Tutu forbade pidgin. Sent all her grandkids to private school (mostly Kamehameha) and repeatedly told all of us to never be bitter about stolen Hawaiian land and the overthrow. Also she was anti homestead land, even though she qualified. She thought all those things handcuffed Hawaiians trying to succeed in capitalist America.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Haha same. My Tutu forbade pidgin. Sent all her grandkids to private school (mostly Kamehameha) and repeatedly told all of us to never be bitter about stolen Hawaiian land and the overthrow. Also she was anti homestead land, even though she qualified. She thought all those things handcuffed Hawaiians trying to succeed in capitalist America.

Pretty much same. They sent my brother and I to private schools as well and they def didnt have the money for it but they figured it was the best shot for my brother and I to be able to succeed.

Now that I got some money saved up will likely move back to my parents house eventually and help them retire.

My dad even went so far to talk us out of Tattoos even though it is part of our culture going back to the 1500s. Just thought it would be another roadblock to being able to succeed.

Reactions: potato-nator

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
we know this because we were forced to history/language/culture/chantand dance/glee...very few teenagers want to learn all that junk...but now 30 yrs later im glad we did...but you wouldn't believe how many "hawaiians" dont know this stuff....from westside or hauula side born and raised on the reservation...they have no idea...
Growing up, the history of these Islands was something that was emphasized, and I appreciate that knowledge. I agree, sad that many of the younger generation do not seem to "know this stuff" Within the last few years, I accompanied my Wife on an errand to pick up some items at Native Intelligence in Wailuku. Great store for handcrafted items emphasizing the host culture of Hawaii. While talking with the owner, I commented on a portrait on the wall of Boki, High Chief and the Royal Governor of the Island of Oahu in the Kingdom of Hawaii in the 1800's. The owner was impressed that I knew who Boki was and that most of the people who come into the store do not know who Boki was and ask why they have a portrait of a Haole on the wall, which I do not understand because he did not look Haole to me, but what do I know. The whole interaction made me realize how much history has been forgotten and not passed on through the generations.

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Pretty much same. They sent my brother and I to private schools as well and they def didnt have the money for it but they figured it was the best shot for my brother and I to be able to succeed.

Now that I got some money saved up will likely move back to my parents house eventually and help them retire.

My dad even went so far to talk us out of Tattoos even though it is part of our culture going back to the 1500s. Just thought it would be another roadblock to being able to succeed.
That's interesting
I hated having to go off to school at Kam (to board) especially since all my friends were going to Campbell.

My early years were in Germany and Texas so I spoke german and spanish before I learned pidgin which we all thought was hilarious before being thrown into it coming home. It didn't take too long assimilating into speaking pidgin and running around barefoot. But you always put your high tops back on and spoke perfect english when you got home or it was a slap on the noggin.
The pidgin was way worse at Kam because of all the neighbor island kids and their neighbor island style pidgin, there were even kids from niihau who spoke hawaiian fluently.

You can tell by the way I call it Kam, that it wasn't really college prep focused back then for us, good industrious young men and women learning a vocation. Things like home economics and typing for the girls and auto shop, wood shop, metal shop and mandatory ROTC for the boys if you weren't into sports. Thank god for waterpolo and the forest. My father wanted me to go into the military like he did starting with the academy.

Can't get a tattoo until my mom and aunt pass on as to them it will always mean you're yakuza coming from Osaka.
I want to get our japanese family crest (mon) which is similar to this if you know whom this belongs

mon ronin.png

how you act and how you speak depends on the circumstance you find your self
that's how you navigate if you want to be successful

I always imagined a vision of Paul Strauch in my head
as I bounced between hanging out drinking wine at some fancy restaurant with bigshots from Kahala/Hawaii Loa or the mainland and then going home to change into my bodobodos on the weekends and paddle out among my unemployed, no moh teeth, high on pakakalolo lineups compadres.

There's a time an place for everything

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Definitely @oneula

Time and place for everything.

I don’t talk pidgin at work but when I’m around all my friends and kids I grew up with it just comes out.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Even though I am (was) an historian and my field of study includes Hawaii, the book I'm going to recommend is a novel, mostly because I think it captures so well the experience of modern Hawaii while still delving in to culture and a little bit of the history. The book is "Sharks in the Time of Saviors" by Kawai Strong Washburn. It is his debut novel. I found it brilliant.

If you are looking for a straight history, try my friend Isaiah Helekunihi Walker's book "Waves of Resistance." It is a history of Hawaiian surfing but it goes through a ton of general history as well. Isaiah is from Hilo, classmates with Noah Johnson and a former state champion surfer. We are the same age and for my money he could beat almost any former pro in a Masters heat. He has worked in the commentator booth for the Volcom Pipe Pro and Sunset events too. It's a great read.

Last edited:

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
and mandatory ROTC for the boys

Haaaaahahahhahaha...ROTC!...I friken HATED THAT!...dress up in uniform every thursday...shine shoes shine brass...go to.drill...staff sgt...nitpicking every friken thing...i might just kik this guys a$$ at lunchtime...gotta wear that damn uniforn all day long...theres no way possible to keep your spit shined shoes from getting all screwed up by the end of the day

shooting 22s was fun though...and playing ranger ar Schofield barracks in the mountains too

• Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04