Major League Baseball Ditches Atlanta, Georgia. They sure showed them!!!!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I agree that your generation’s attention span is getting shorter. I see it here everyday.

With respect to the brut(e) force in the game today, if you wanted it, you’d have it. No shortage of violence in professional sports in the 60’s when I was a kid. Non professional and semi professional menos. (That means more)

Your generation leans towards virtual fighting as it relates to sports. Thanks Al Gore for the inventions of the internets. And everything else. Tee ball, everyone bats until they get on base.

Everyone that thinks like you should have played both second base and catcher in the 60’s at some level over Little League.

Forget about football. Crack back blocks for a starter. My favorite all time baseball player, Don Drysdale. Football: Jack Tatum.

Talking about getting hit on the Internet is a horse of a different hue than getting hit.
My generation...[eyeroll]

I saw the 70s SF Giants play many many home games at Candlestick, and if the Yankees were in town we'd go to the Coliseum for A's games. (My family is from NY and my dad was a Yankees fan, but I always rooted A's.) Saw Vida Blue pitch for both the A's and the Giants.

I played up into Babe Ruth, at some point during which I got a skateboard, learned how to drop in, and that was that. I was not very good. I've played everything but pitcher and catcher, which takes a particular kind of crazy.

My generation's attention span is generally just fine. My screen time was limited to whatever I could plug an Atari 2600 into; and those were not portable.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Jim Crow off steroids is more accurate. Jim Crow nevertheless.

from the other thread:

""The entire rationale for this bill was based on a lie: that there was widespread voter fraud in Georgia in the 2020 elections."

The rationale for this bill is based on a lie.

This bill exists because voter turnout in Georgia in 2020 was higher than the Republicans would like.

This bill exists because voter turnout in Georgia in 2020 was higher than the Republicans would like.

Last edited:
Reactions: sussle

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Baseball is the same as it's ever been. Our attention spans are changing, getting shorter, and our need to experience drama and aggression is growing. Baseball is cerebral, brut force is useless. Baseball used to be considered a game of gentlemen. Maybe there are fewer gentlemen. As a culture we seem to want brut force, violence, explosive drama. Baseball doesn't provide that often enough.
I agree with this. Baseball is more of a chess game, always has been. More nuanced then most other spectators sports. Tougher sell here in the era of video entertainment.

Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Baseball is objectively different today.

Offense Analytics = Going for the long ball, which means homers, deep flies, and strikeouts.
Defense Analytics = Having the perfect shift on for every batter, which means fewer baserunners. Having to cover the bag to cut down leadoffs begets more balls in play on other base hits.

Ex: A base hit between first and second base in the 1990s is an easy grab force out for a 2nd baseman playing in short right field halfway between the bags today, vs being barely in the outfield grass, much closer to 2nd base, in bygone years.

In the mid 70s there were 5 strikeouts per game
In the mid 90s there were 6
2019, there were 9.

On base percentage is down. It's having runners on base that make an at-bat more exciting. It's having to cover the base that opens up windows for more hitting, more balls in play, and more elaborate, less scripted defense.

This is very similar to the "trap" game in the NHL made popular by the Devils (and others) 20-25 years ago. A defensive scheme to ruin buildups in transition, with tons and tons of low-level pestering of "exciting" players, eg those with good skating skills/speed/agility.

The NHL responded by telling the refs to call every hook and hold in the neutral zone, and they lifted the ban on the two-line pass.

Lots of sports change like this. Everyone used to run the old option in college. Then the linebackers and defensive ends became faster, and now a few fringe schools run the old style option. Now, college football is undergoing an offensive renaissance. The schemes from the NFL trickled down, the QB play got better, and now, the linebacker you need to tackle a running back isn't fast enough to keep up with the 4th wide receiver. Or they put a nickel back in, and presto, power running from the spread formation works. They cut down on safety help over the top to cut off the easy pitch and catch, and there's deep passes galore now.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Baseball is objectively different today.

Offense Analytics = Going for the long ball, which means homers, deep flies, and strikeouts.
Defense Analytics = Having the perfect shift on for every batter, which means fewer baserunners. Having to cover the bag to cut down leadoffs begets more balls in play on other base hits.

Ex: A base hit between first and second base in the 1990s is an easy grab force out for a 2nd baseman playing in short right field halfway between the bags today, vs being barely in the outfield grass, much closer to 2nd base, in bygone years.

In the mid 70s there were 5 strikeouts per game
In the mid 90s there were 6
2019, there were 9.

On base percentage is down. It's having runners on base that make an at-bat more exciting. It's having to cover the base that opens up windows for more hitting, more balls in play, and more elaborate, less scripted defense.
Also

bunts.jpeg

Ironically, sac bunts can lead to some serious violence, drama, confrontation; still not as exciting as an HR, I guess.

HRs are up, strikeouts are up. All or nothing; black or white. We are polarized.

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
WTF does baseball have to do with anything other than baseball?

Trump has now published a list of corporations that his supporters need to boycott. The spiral of stupid apparently goes clockwise as well as counter clockwise. This is becoming like Lent. The stupid want to virtue signal with nonsensical boycotting.

But I'll feel left out if I don't boycott something. So I'm giving up crack, WaveStorms, Lamborghinis and glory holes. And baseball, which has always bored the sh!t out of me anyway.

My woke is bigger than your woke.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

Trump has now published a list of corporations that his supporters need to boycott. The spiral of stupid apparently goes clockwise as well as counter clockwise. This is becoming like Lent. The stupid want to virtue signal with nonsensical boycotting.

But I'll feel left out if I don't boycott something. So I'm giving up crack, WaveStorms, Lamborghinis and glory holes. And baseball, which has always bored the sh!t out of me anyway.

The MLB should have stayed out of cancel culture. Since they decided to go there and polarize the fan base they need to accept the consequences of going there. It was a blunder for them to do this. You can't blame those who choose to tune out the MLB as a result or boycott them and their sponsors.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The MLB should have stayed out of cancel culture. Since they decided to go there and polarize the fan base they need to accept the consequences of going there. It was a blunder for them to do this. You can't blame those who choose to tune out the MLB as a result or boycott them and their sponsors.
Cancel MLB!

• Haha
Reactions: enframed

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

actually, i don't make a conscious decision to boycott anything...but things creep into my subconscious and take up residence there, which affects my purchasing decisions. for instance, Goya foods are forever tainted for me by their support for the Trump cult (and vice versa). same with Publix supermarkets, their heirs bankrolled the January 6th rally that led to the attack on the capitol...so i go elsewhere for groceries.etc etc. i wouldn't follow anyone's campaign to boycott anything, but i do listen to my gut.