Hawaii- Done

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
3rd grade, started riding Da Bust from school to my dad's office near Ala Moana. Riding up front with the old Japanese ladies so as not to get slapped around by the locals in the back.
Ahh yes. You don't know fear until you get the Sole shakedown at the bus stop when you're still in middle school.

"Wat? Get quarter? Like borrow"

"Oh sorry. I'm completely broke just have a bus pass". lol.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I'd go for Fayetteville over Little Rock any day.

Nashville's done

Helen, GA getting blown up

Next up, Knoxville and Chattanooga?
spent a night in fort smith in some cheap ass motel like 15 yrs ago. morning cones around and i drop of the key with some cute little southern girl with fuck me eyes.

asked how my bed was last night. told her it pretty much sucked. which it did.

she flipped her hair said in that voice that buckles california grown beach bums, "well i hear its nicer than the ones they got over in fayetteville"

so now every fucking time i see fayetteville i hear that line and think about banging that fort smith chick again.

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Bend was great before that fuckhead Gerry showed up.

As has been said before, Hawaii's problems aren't unique to it. My parents bought their first house in '90 for 40 grand on a single nursing salary while my dad went to grad school. You used to be able to show up to any random campground in the state whenever you wanted and have a spot, guaranteed. I remember when surfing with ten people in the water was considered crowded. Oregon used to be awesome when no one could point it out on a map.

sh!t sucks, but unless people stop fucking this is just gonna keep getting worse. My real question is how all these fuckers seem to have the scratch to shell out for million dollar plus homes. I work in tech, but ain't no way I've got that kinda money.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
I thought I saw stories about rental cars parked in cane field cause no one was using em. What happened? Thinking about visiting the parents this summer and hope can get a vehicle. If not, gotta get a friends possibly unreliable wheels. :poop:
They sold them or shipped them mainland and sold them there It's a nationwide problem not just Hawaii but places that's busy for spring break its really bad

• Dislike
Reactions: HarryLopez2

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
In 1972 I was 17 years old when I moved to Laguna. I got a job washing dishes at the Cottage Restaurant. The guy I replaced had just quit, cashed his check and bought a one way ticket to Hawaii (that left him around $10 for living expenses). See ya later.

Personally, if you grew up there and want to surf, the 808 would be very difficult to put in the rear view mirror. The opportunity to surf both consistently and with occasional other world surf would just be too strong for me. Move when you quit surfing, with the exception of Steamroller who seems to have adapted, get it while you can.

Post pictures too! (Unless it’s a secret spot).

Thanks sponge, you’re large!

i been back home 7 times since it opened back in November...first 6 times it was awesome...no lines cheep rent a cars....i rented a dodge grand caravan for 200$ /week...camped all over the island wherever i ended up that evening I just called a friend on that side and praked in front of thier house for the night...gone surfing next morning at first light....

this last time in march the airport was a friken zoo!... and that same van was 700$/week...had to settle with a compact car and pitch a tent in friends front yard or crash on the couch...a nissan versa is NOT the best for sleeping...

tourist seasin is open....see you oahu guys in2 weeks!!!! :p :p :p

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

As has been said before, Hawaii's problems aren't unique to it. My parents bought their first house in '90 for 40 grand on a single nursing salary while my dad went to grad school. You used to be able to show up to any random campground in the state whenever you wanted and have a spot, guaranteed. I remember when surfing with ten people in the water was considered crowded. Oregon used to be awesome when no one could point it out on a map.

sh!t sucks, but unless people stop fucking this is just gonna keep getting worse. My real question is how all these fuckers seem to have the scratch to shell out for million dollar plus homes. I work in tech, but ain't no way I've got that kinda money.
Just remember, the more people there are with many millions, the more people there are somewhere with NOTHING.

:shameonyou:

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Ahh yes. You don't know fear until you get the Sole shakedown at the bus stop when you're still in middle school.

:roflmao: Yep! Before I got the bus pass, learned to make a slit in my shoe/slippah for my bus fare, so when the Kaimuki boys came around the stop slapping pockets, no jingle of change = no 'ey, like borrow quatah!'

Ah, how may times did I hear the 'like borrow..' phrase, either to me or some other unsuspecting haole. Remember a tourist kid at Sandys getting asked to 'borrow' his bodyboard, only to watch the tourist kid see his board catch one wave in, run up the beach, and into a low rider pickup probably heading for Nalo!

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

While wearing a private school uniform waiting at Alakea st lol

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

What’s wrong with Gerry? He’s a nice guy.

People have generational wealth now. Lot of it is because they owned homes for 40-50 years and passed it to their children

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Oregon is damn near empty, the population could grow a hundred times over and not spill into norcal (which if it did, would be fine, because norcal is also almost entirely empty as well)

Hawaii... Ya'll are out of Hawaii, and volcanoes are no Mexicans, that shlt is slow work.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
My real question is how all these fuckers seem to have the scratch to shell out for million dollar plus homes. I work in tech, but ain't no way I've got that kinda money.
If you make $100-150k+ a year, you can easily qualify for a $500k mortgage. $200k+ and/or a DINK couple with 6 figure incomes and you are easily over a million in borrowing power. In the SF/Silicon valley area that is quite common.

I'm of the mindset that if you need 2 incomes to afford it then you probably can't afford it, but that's not how a lot of folks operate

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Oregon is damn near empty, the population could grow a hundred times over and not spill into norcal (which if it did, would be fine, because norcal is also almost entirely empty as well)

Hawaii... Ya'll are out of Hawaii, and volcanoes are no Mexicans, that shlt is slow work.
That’s why I like oregon so much.

Seems like Hawaii and Southern California they have basically built up and put neighborhoods and stuff on every single piece of available coast line and ridge lines

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If you make $100-150k+ a year, you can easily qualify for a $500k mortgage. $200k+ and/or a DINK couple with 6 figure incomes and you are easily over a million in borrowing power. In the SF/Silicon valley area that is quite common.

I'm of the mindset that if you need 2 incomes to afford it then you probably can't afford it, but that's not how a lot of folks operate
Pretty much.

I won’t spend more then 25% of my families income on housing.

Lot of people go up to 40-50 percent of their take home to a house. At that point you’re basically tied to your mortgage and can’t do anything like vacation or literally anything

Reactions: grapedrink