Universal Basic Income

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
All that and little inflation to boot. $20 for a big mac coming right up.
If only there was an example of what a big mac costs in a $15 per hour hellscape you're envisioning....

Wait, I know, let's see what a Big Mac costs in DC where the min wage is already $15.

Hmmm, looks like a Big Mac costs about $5.35.

Even Switzerland, which has a $25 min. wage, has a $7.29 Big Mac.

Do you enjoy subsidizing Walmart, McDonalds, etc. with billions of taxpayer dollars per year through the government assistance programs that their min. wage employees qualify for?

Feb 24, 2021
If only there was an example of what a big mac costs in a $15 per hour hellscape you're envisioning....

Wait, I know, let's see what a Big Mac costs in DC where the min wage is already $15.

Do you enjoy subsidizing Walmart, McDonalds, etc. with billions of taxpayer dollars per year through the government assistance programs that their min. wage employees qualify for?
I think what he really wants is for them to make less, so they have less, so they eat less, so they get smaller and smaller and smaller until "poof!" they all disapear.

Reactions: kidfury

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Why do I always think of the Christmas holiday season when I hear this?

You live in the house she left you, rent free, is what I was getting at.
Party at Autoprax's house, his parents aren't home!

I'll bring the white zin and 7-up.

Why is it assumed that, if minimum wage increases by a certain amount, every other item sold in humanity will also increase perfectly linearly?
I was told it is due to supply and demand.

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009

1615227252711.png

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Because if it's doubled on a national scale, most everyone else near and over that $15 an hour will expect close to that near double increase in wages also.

That or increased automation, or jobs going faster to 3rd world where they pay pennies on the dollar we pay.

Can you say massive inflation pressures? Sure you can.
Wages aren't set by expectation.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
My $20 Big Mac was an obvious exaggeration. But expect to pay quite a bit more for many items we now take for granted in our many decades long low to no inflation environment. We've been so used to low inflation, we figure it won't ever double or triple the existing 2% again, even in Biden f'up world. Biden could likely be Carter 2.0 instead of Obama 2.0.

But if we keep all those illegal immigrants flowing in unhindered by the 10's if not 100's of 1000's, we can keep wages near slave labor levels for them, while boosting legal citizens to $15 and think we're heroes for it.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Wages are set by skills, and the availability or rarity of them.

You have one that's in demand, that most don't? You can call the shots way more than those that don't.

Illegal immigrants have few if any other that grunt labor our kids won't do anymore.
It's called minimum wage. It's not set by skills.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Wages are set by skills, and the availability or rarity of them.

You have one that's in demand, that most don't? You can call the shots way more than those that don't.

Illegal immigrants have few if any other that grunt labor our kids won't do anymore.
weird that you brought illegal immigrants into this. Why did you do that?

paying a fast food worker more has no bearing on what a teacher or bricklayer should be paid.

Reactions: afoaf
Feb 24, 2021
weird that you brought illegal immigrants into this. Why did you do that?

paying a fast food worker more has no bearing on what a teacher or bricklayer should be paid.
Higher and lower wages are elastic in relation to eachother. Economists know this. Tucker Carlson doesn't.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Higher and lower wages are elastic in relation to eachother. Economists know this. Tucker Carlson doesn't.
There's definitely a ripple effect on wages when the minimum wage goes up, but it's almost entirely concentrated at the low end of the wage spectrum.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My $20 Big Mac was an obvious exaggeration. But expect to pay quite a bit more for many items we now take for granted in our many decades long low to no inflation environment. We've been so used to low inflation, we figure it won't ever double or triple the existing 2% again, even in Biden f'up world. Biden could likely be Carter 2.0 instead of Obama 2.0.

But if we keep all those illegal immigrants flowing in unhindered by the 10's if not 100's of 1000's, we can keep wages near slave labor levels for them, while boosting legal citizens to $15 and think we're heroes for it.
1615320442177.png