Technology and Dissenting Opinions

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Ive posted plenty of examples of people getting attacked by the virtual ptichfork mob and having their livelihoods threatened for merely expressing opinions that question the woke narrative. Such as Bret Weinstein.
But here's the thing - nobody has to express their opinion on line. I don't know who Bret Weinstein is, but did anyone force him to express his opinions on line? Or did he choose to express his opinions on line? Because if it's the latter, then he should have anticipated expressing un-woke opinions might lead to blow back. That's a basic rule of free speech - just because you can say it freely doesn't mean there won't be consequences. Has nothing to do with tech platforms.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Gotcha. Agreed. I thought you were inferring that because they were a private company providing a service that we ought not to consider interfering. My bad.
Bill Gates wants government to regulate big tech.

The same guy who's trying to track us with microchips in vaccines!

Coincidence?

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
But here's the thing - nobody has to express their opinion on line. I don't know who Bret Weinstein is, but did anyone force him to express his opinions on line? Or did he choose to express his opinions on line? Because if it's the latter, then he should have anticipated expressing un-woke opinions might lead to blow back. That's a basic rule of free speech - just because you can say it freely doesn't mean there won't be consequences. Has nothing to do with tech platforms.
Exactly. They want to remove the consequences of free speech, which is not how society operates but they are somehow oblivious to it.

They want rules of conduct and social norms not to apply on the internet.

I don't know where this expectation comes from because sure as hell you can't behave like that in real life. Like OP stated, internet is an integral part of who we are as a culture and the same rules should apply.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Rightwingers demand a place to act like anti social scumbags free from consequences.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I'm not concerned with banning people, I'm concerned with big tech deciding what information is allowed to flow between the citizens of a democratic republic.
You're being obtuse.

Twitter controls its platform. That's it. Youtube controls its platform. That's it. Nobody is controlling information in the manner you're suggesting.

If you can't find it on Twitter, or YouTube, you can still find it. The Biden Post story was referenced above. Here it is: https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/email-reveals-how-hunter-biden-introduced-ukrainian-biz-man-to-dad/

I found it by using google.com, which apparently handles 92% of searches on the internet.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Specifically the new york post story.
what you mean to say:

the obviously false new york post story

good job, Twitter and Facebook!

so...no vow....but the socials are evil because they didn't allow a bullshit
hit piece with obvious factual errors to be propagated which is not the same
as suppressing dissenting opinions.

what are we complaining about again?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
what you mean to say:

the obviously false new york post story

good job, Twitter and Facebook!

so...no vow....but the socials are evil because they didn't allow a bullshit
hit piece with obvious factual errors to be propagated

what are we complaining about again?
He wants to read lies as long as they hurt the other team.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Not loaded. Honest question. Technology is my bread and butter. Trying to get a pulse check on whether people are generally uncomfortable with the control big tech has on communications before I start sharing my concerns in a professional setting.
If you do that, have FU money. He who tells the truth must keep a foot in the stirrup.

Yes, I'm absolutely concerned with tech censorship and control. I'm infuriated by many of their foreign labor practices. Too bad I'm in deep already. I Bought an iPhone before all this started and will migrate off it in the next generation to a flip phone and a tablet I configure with some sort of chat app and VOIP system. Communication was better in the 90s in the sense that we all communicated better then.

Ultimately, Big Tech is waging a war on its own customers. They'd like to believe that the war will be confined to their current enemies, but wars don't work that way. They always spread and affect bystanders (collateral damage) and often previous allies. When combined with Cancel Culture (often fomented by Big Tech), this means that their customers won't be able to earn a living. Tech R&D is expensive. iPhones and other gadgets are consequently expensive. The customers who can buy these gadgets are either a) pretty rich or b) buying them on the used market. b is contingent on a being extremely robust and healthy.

Edit: piggy-backing onto Aruka's comments: the new social media and in-hand wireless computers (smart phones) facilitate COINTELPRO on a massive scale.

Reactions: Ifallalot

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm not concerned with banning people, I'm concerned with big tech deciding what information is allowed to flow between the citizens of a democratic republic.
As far as I know that's not the case. You can write whatever you want and flow that information to whomever you want on the internet.

Do you agree that there should be rules and laws, just like in real life?

Or do you think that internet should be free of social norms and lawless?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Your lack of empathy, disregard for others and human life in general is a clear narcissistic trait.
You're a textbook NPD, as is ifailalot.

The only "victims" you feel sorry for are your fellow narcissists.
You don't even know what narcissism is. Your own narcissism prevents you from seeing your narcissism.

What happened to Bret Weinstein?
He's on every podcast, including Broprah, social media platform and YouTube channel imaginable. Creating the scandal is the best thing that could ever happen to his career.
How was he robbed of his livelihood?
He was forced out of a job he earned and loved for doing nothing wrong. Of course you don't think that's an issue because you are a gaslighting psychopath who only directs empathy towards those who are on their team.

What exactly did he do wrong do deserve that? What was racist?

All your supposed victims are still free to spew whatever they want.
As always, you want to remove the consequences that free speech brings, which is not how society operates.
Another one of your straw man lies.

I've never said that free speech should be free of consequences. What I've said is that the punishment is often grossly disproportionate to the actual "offense", and is often driven by emotion and mob rule.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot and PRCD

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
You're being obtuse.
I am willing to acknowledge that possibility. :roflmao:
Nobody is controlling information in the manner you're suggesting.
Google seems to think they are. Here are their own words, "we will start removing any piece of content uploaded today (or anytime after) that misleads people by alleging that widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. Presidential election"

Here's the link https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/supporting-the-2020-us-election

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Free free to look up the story- maybe you should do that before you jump to conclusions and try to lecture me about it.

To be clear, there was nothing posted online, however a private email was forwarded and made public and the pitchfork mob followed, both virtually and IRL. My point was that it illustrates the same phenomena, regardless of whether it was posted online or not .

Reactions: PRCD

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Free free to look up the story- maybe you should do that before you jump to conclusions and try to lecture me about it.

To be clear, there was nothing posted online, however a private email was forwarded and made public and the pitchfork mob followed, both virtually and IRL. My point was that it illustrates the same phenomena, regardless of whether it was posted online or not .
I gave it a quick look. What does that have to do with big tech monitoring information? I don't see the connection.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I am willing to acknowledge that possibility. :roflmao:

Google seems to think they are. Here are their own words, "we will start removing any piece of content uploaded today (or anytime after) that misleads people by alleging that widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. Presidential election"

Here's the link https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/supporting-the-2020-us-election
From YouTube.

Not from the internet.

That's the whole point. A platform owner removing from a platform =/= removal from internet or removal from discussion.

If Google banned all links on its search function related to Stop the Steal, then I might agree with you.