Technology and Dissenting Opinions

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I am definitely concerned by the amount of power these tech companies have. It's a complete travesty that our politicians have allowed things to reach this point. We have the laws already on the books to break these monopolies up but they need to be enforced. Not that that would solve everything, it's a very big and complicated problem. Still, there has been almost no regulation, no consequences, nothing.

Google has a 92% market share of search. They are more like a utility at this point. I think they should be treated more like one.

I probably lean more towards the free side of the free speech side of that debate. Sure they are private companies but at some point, once they reach the scale of twitter or facebook to where basically a majority of the country is on the platform, is it really fair or smart to let them be the deciders of what is true or not? Do we really want that psycho Zuckerberg being the arbiter of truth?

Should a platform be liable for a user posting some fake news conspiracy bullsh1t. Probably not. That doesn't seem possible or reasonable. Should they be liable for their algorithms which actively promote the fake bs theories because they keep people engaged and the more engagement, the more money they make through add sales? I think so.

Would we have Flat Earth Theory being an actual thing in 2021 without these youtube and facebook algorithms? How about Q-Annon? I sincerely doubt it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
On second thought, I have no doubt that if the same story was released with Don Jr in Hunter's place, that the social media entities would've handled the situation exactly the same! You betcha!
and the vow?

how did the story get handled?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Of course they didn't vow it publicly.

Twitter and FB did not allow the story to be shared. If a similar story were released with Don Jr, do you think they would've acted the same way?
Is that true? Every story on Hunter was barred? Just some? One?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
20 years these apps didn't exist and yet people had free speech.

This seems like it's more like kids not being allowed to play with their toys.

And they are mad!

Do people not realize these are private companies trying to make money by providing a product?

They are like Vicodin addict that the dr takes the pills away.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Most people are only uncomfortable with it when it goes against their politics.

You are constantly conflating lies, bigotry and incitement of unrest with dissenting opinions.

Social media platforms, like society, have rules and norms.

Ethos matters. You can't spew lies in real life and get away with it, why should it be tolerated on the internet?

Assimilate or GTFO

There's a reason why Gab and Parler didn't go anywhere.
Majority of people have conscience.
Like most narcissists, you don't.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You are constantly conflating lies, bigotry and incitement of unrest with dissenting opinions.
Ive posted plenty of examples of people getting attacked by the virtual ptichfork mob and having their livelihoods threatened for merely expressing opinions that question the woke narrative. Such as Bret Weinstein.

And Every time you and your little band of synchophants dodge, ghost, mischaracterize, and gaslight for regressive behavior when it’s your team dishing it out.

Majority of people have conscience.
Like most narcissists, you don't.
You are by far the most narcissistic and least socially and emotionally aware poster here. Nobody has attacked and argued with more people over the years than you.

Self awareness. Get some :trout:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
This seems like it's more like kids not being allowed to play with their toys.
Social and mainstream media on the internet have graduated from toys to integral parts of our culture. Scientists, politicians, and educators here in the US are seriously behind the curve in terms of understanding the degree to which technology is changing our culture.

Folks in Europe are doing a little bit better, but the fusion of human consciousness and computing is accelerating. Institutions and individuals will struggle to evolve at a similar pace.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
This comparison doesn't make any sense.

If anything it supports my point.
What point were you making in asking, "Do people not realize these are private companies trying to make money by providing a product?"

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What point were you making in asking, "Do people not realize these are private companies trying to make money by providing a product?"
They can kick you out of their place if you don't behave.

People get kicked out and they are like drunks that got kicked out of a bar.

Playing the victim.

You countered with the example of pill companies.

That seems like a non sequitur.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
They can kick you out of their place if you don't behave.

Playing the victim.

You countered with the example of pill companies.

That seems like a non sequitur.
Gotcha. Agreed. I thought you were inferring that because they were a private company providing a service that we ought not to consider interfering. My bad.

Reactions: Autoprax

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I have invested about 20 hours of my personal time over the past couple of months trying to leave the bar.

As a citizen of the internet I don't know if it is possible.

The bar is everywhere.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I have invested about 20 hours of my personal time over the past couple of months trying to leave the bar.

As a citizen of the internet I don't know if it is possible.

The bar is everywhere.
Then maybe stick to the rules of conduct that are clearly displayed aboved the bar and order a Mai Tai.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Ive posted plenty of examples of people getting attacked by the virtual ptichfork mob and having their livelihoods threatened for merely expressing opinions that question the woke narrative. Such as Bret Weinstein.

And Every time you and your little band of synchophants dodge, ghost, mischaracterize, and gaslight for regressive behavior when it’s your team dishing it out.

You are by far the most narcissistic and least socially and emotionally aware poster here. Nobody has attacked and argued with more people over the years than you.

Self awareness. Get some :trout:
Your lack of empathy, disregard for others and human life in general is a clear narcissistic trait.
You're a textbook NPD, as is ifailalot.

The only "victims" you feel sorry for are your fellow narcissists.

What happened to Bret Weinstein?
He's on every podcast, including Broprah, social media platform and YouTube channel imaginable. Creating the scandal is the best thing that could ever happen to his career.
How was he robbed of his livelihood?

All your supposed victims are still free to spew whatever they want.
As always, you want to remove the consequences that free speech brings, which is not how society operates.

Narcissists are known for their disregard for rules and social norms. Seems like there's a narcissistic epidemic going on in the US.
This is also why Trump didn't bother you.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink