Anyone ever have a porch/exterior light dispute with a neighbor? (Warning: Contains CasaMugs problem)

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
We went for years where other than the occasional campfire down the beach and the panga fisherman offshore the closest light was seven clicks away. Closest visible light now is around a click away.

La ogra can’t stand the light to sleep. Te vas a apagar la luz? A qué horas vas a apagar la luz? Porqué tienes la luz prendida? Bien qué sabes qué yo no puedo dormir con la luz prendida. Y la chingada... She can see better in the dark than I can in daylight. Pinche vampira. I’m nightblind.

I did shift work for a long time, I can sleep with light, noise, whatever.

afoaf uses a candle or nightlite. Fag.

When she is there, turn up the Ted Nugent. Nobody can take much of that.
I prefer the candle...sometimes I leave it in the bathroom so I don't have any
more weird iguana encounters at 3am

also, it's fkn scary dark down there, man....fkkkkk

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I prefer the candle...sometimes I leave it in the bathroom so I don't have any
more weird iguana encounters at 3am

also, it's fkn scary dark down there, man....fkkkkk
I love candles but I am scared of burning the place down'

It's one of my fears or is it a phobia?

I could really do it.

I love sleeping by a fire.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I love candles but I am scared of burning the place down'

It's one of my fears or is it a phobia?

I could really do it.

I love sleeping by a fire.
He sleeps in a solid concrete room. It would be the last bedroom to catch fire and burn. Also the only bedroom with a locking door. Iguanas are the least of his worries. I’ll leave it at that for him to think about.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
He sleeps in a solid concrete room. It would be the last bedroom to catch fire and burn. Also the only bedroom with a locking door. Iguanas are the least of his worries. I’ll leave it at that for him to think about.
believe me...I THINK ABOUT IT EVERY NIGHT

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Steve McQueen used his shotgun to blow out Keith Moon’s outdoor light since Keith wouldn’t accede to Steve’s request when they became neighbors on Trancas Beach. Keith got the message and sold the place and moved! Wanted Dead or A Light! Steve was pretty good with my Daisy b.b. pistol back in the day. I could only hit the ground ;-) View attachment 104855
I hadn't heard that story, pretty funny.
I've shared this before.
Steve and Keith had quite a history.
One summer My GF and I along with Chad McQ and some other of the Trancas locals were hanging out on the sand below the houses and Keith was absolutely blasting some music and Steve was yelling across telling Keith to turn that $hit down.
This went on for half an hour or so when all of a sudden Keith launches both speakers off the balcony onto the beach below.
Funny as all hell!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Backstory: Neighborhood was literally pitch black when I moved here, which was one of the selling points. No streetlights until a few years ago, but for the most part pretty dark. No issues with neighbors lighting. . . Until a few nights ago. House with adjacent backyard installed a very bright porch light between their house and detached garage. One of those half dome deals that lights up everything around it and does not point in any one direction. Even with my bedroom blinds closed (2" horizontal wood, they're fabulous) it's still bright.

So I decided to take the diplomatic approach. I walked over, politely introduced myself and asked if she could either turn it off at night or install a motion sensor. i could tell that she was immediately salty from me even asking for her attention. She replies, "It already has a motion sensor". I say "no, it's on all night, so it's not motion activated". She says, "Oh, I mean dusk til dawn" and goes on to explain that she has security concerns and is in the process of renovating for a sale. I ask if she would consider getting a different fixture that doesn't light up every direction, and would even help pay for it, and she bruskly shot that down and basically told me to install blackout curtains.

At that point I said, "Well, it'd be nice if you could have a little bit of consideration for your neighbors" and that's when she exploded :roflmao: and said "SIR THAT IS vERY RUDE!!! YOU CAN INSTALL CURTAINS!!!"

In fairness, I understand that she is probably stressed out with the renovation, sale and security issues. Or that if I were to move into a well lit neighborhood, it would be on me to keep the light out. I also respect the rights of homeowners to do with and secure their home as they wish.

That said, is it really unreasonable to ask your neighbor to be considerate with their lighting? I've always felt that people who feel the need to light up the whole neighborhood are basically a rung on the ladder below people who drive under the speed limit in the left lane as being most deserved of being slowly lowered into a barrel of acid.

The local ordinance appears to be on my side, so I will Karen the city tomorrow. Anybody have luck with this sort of thing after failing at going the neighborly route?
At least your crazy neighbor is leaving and new people are coming in.

Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
At least your crazy neighbor is leaving and new people are coming in.
Más vale malo por conocido qué bueno por conocer. You can take that to the bank. IIRC afoaf went to the house in town to use the Internet on a previous visit, It’s my hood, I don’t worry there. If he only knew....

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Más vale malo por conocido qué bueno por conocer.
yeah, my upstairs neighbors are being transferred (air force)

the last two neighbors have been great...I'm afraid luck is running out

Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
Backstory: Neighborhood was literally pitch black when I moved here, which was one of the selling points. No streetlights until a few years ago, but for the most part pretty dark. No issues with neighbors lighting. . . Until a few nights ago. House with adjacent backyard installed a very bright porch light between their house and detached garage. One of those half dome deals that lights up everything around it and does not point in any one direction. Even with my bedroom blinds closed (2" horizontal wood, they're fabulous) it's still bright.

So I decided to take the diplomatic approach. I walked over, politely introduced myself and asked if she could either turn it off at night or install a motion sensor. i could tell that she was immediately salty from me even asking for her attention. She replies, "It already has a motion sensor". I say "no, it's on all night, so it's not motion activated". She says, "Oh, I mean dusk til dawn" and goes on to explain that she has security concerns and is in the process of renovating for a sale. I ask if she would consider getting a different fixture that doesn't light up every direction, and would even help pay for it, and she bruskly shot that down and basically told me to install blackout curtains.

At that point I said, "Well, it'd be nice if you could have a little bit of consideration for your neighbors" and that's when she exploded :roflmao: and said "SIR THAT IS vERY RUDE!!! YOU CAN INSTALL CURTAINS!!!"

In fairness, I understand that she is probably stressed out with the renovation, sale and security issues. Or that if I were to move into a well lit neighborhood, it would be on me to keep the light out. I also respect the rights of homeowners to do with and secure their home as they wish.

That said, is it really unreasonable to ask your neighbor to be considerate with their lighting? I've always felt that people who feel the need to light up the whole neighborhood are basically a rung on the ladder below people who drive under the speed limit in the left lane as being most deserved of being slowly lowered into a barrel of acid.

The local ordinance appears to be on my side, so I will Karen the city tomorrow. Anybody have luck with this sort of thing after failing at going the neighborly route?
your now on your neighbor ladies level.

• Dislike
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
your now on your neighbor ladies level.
How so? I don't shine lights into windows, blast music, hog all the street parking with multiple vehicles, rent my house to strangers, or any other form of asshole neighbor behavior. If a neighbor came to me with a legitimate annoyance that required minimal effort from me to alleviate, i would have no problem accommodating that.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
How so? I don't shine lights into windows, blast music, hog all the street parking with multiple vehicles, rent my house to strangers, or any other form of asshole neighbor behavior. If a neighbor came to me with a legitimate annoyance that required minimal effort from me to alleviate, i would have no problem accommodating that.
little story.

'bout 20 yrs ago i bought an adjacent parcel.

neighbor to the east had recently fenced for grazing and even though the line between the two lots had never been surveyed i knew from my years there that his fence was well over the property line on my new parcel

seller lived elsewhere and he didnt want to deal with it, so given the hometown deal we struck on the purchase price, i bought the parcel as is and figured i'd talk to my neighbor and we'd work it out.

i guessed we were talking about a couple acres and i had no problem with the neighbor running his sheep there, but i wasnt about to it give it to him or let him claim a prescriptive easement to graze it.

so i went to my neighbor and said basically, look tom, we both know where the corners are and there is no way your fence is even close to the property line. i have no issue with letting you graze some on my property but the way the law reads we need to have an agreement about. so i'll write something up and lease it to you for a dollar.

to which he told me to fuck off and sue him if i actually believed he had run his fence over the line.

so i did. which makes me an asshole.

and after the line got surveyed not once but twice by two different surveyors. and he ran through three different lawyers. he wound up pulling his fence, paying my legal fees, selling his place and moving out.

for me the whole experience pretty much sucked balls but i still get along great with the new neighbors. so there is that

Last edited:

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
Great thread, here is my issue:
About 3 years ago on a Sunday afternoon I hear loud music from the neighbor living kitty corner from me. Loud like you could easily hear it from the street in front of my house. This goes on until 8 to 9 pm and I can't take it anymore. I have a real problem with self centered people who don't give a sh1t about others. I go to the corner of my yard where the 4 properties meet and I stand on the fence and yell at him and tell him to please turn down the music, but not in a nice way. We exchange words and after a few minutes of talking we both cool down and he agrees to turn down the music. He tells me if this is ever a problem again to just come over and let him know.
Turns out the house was given to him by his father in law. Total vato, but older around 50ish, covered in ink.

That was it until 2 summers ago when he started playing music again every weekend for hours at a time. Super loud, not just relaxing in the backyard music, but high school kid loud +1.

After about 3 straight weekends of this one day I had enough. I lost my temper and proceeded to tell him he has no respect for anyone else but himself and I don't understand why he can't keep it at a reasonable level.

So since then I have called the cops about 5 times for said music. Each time they turn it down but it is a constant problem, especially in the summer. The cops aren't much help either, even though the City code specifically states that no one shall make any noise or sound that is unreasonably loud or disturbing to neighbors. I have spoken with some of my neighbors and they also don't like it but they are scared to say anything to him or ask him to turn it down.

I have thought about building an amplifier with a horn on a 10ft pole directed at his house and blasting 3kHz tone towards his direction every time he turns up his music, but that is taking it to another level and i am not sure I want to go there.

• Angry
Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Great thread, here is my issue:
About 3 years ago on a Sunday afternoon I hear loud music from the neighbor living kitty corner from me. Loud like you could easily hear it from the street in front of my house. This goes on until 8 to 9 pm and I can't take it anymore. I have a real problem with self centered people who don't give a sh1t about others. I go to the corner of my yard where the 4 properties meet and I stand on the fence and yell at him and tell him to please turn down the music, but not in a nice way. We exchange words and after a few minutes of talking we both cool down and he agrees to turn down the music. He tells me if this is ever a problem again to just come over and let him know.
Turns out the house was given to him by his father in law. Total vato, but older around 50ish, covered in ink.

That was it until 2 summers ago when he started playing music again every weekend for hours at a time. Super loud, not just relaxing in the backyard music, but high school kid loud +1.

After about 3 straight weekends of this one day I had enough. I lost my temper and proceeded to tell him he has no respect for anyone else but himself and I don't understand why he can't keep it at a reasonable level.

So since then I have called the cops about 5 times for said music. Each time they turn it down but it is a constant problem, especially in the summer. The cops aren't much help either, even though the City code specifically states that no one shall make any noise or sound that is unreasonably loud or disturbing to neighbors. I have spoken with some of my neighbors and they also don't like it but they are scared to say anything to him or ask him to turn it down.

I have thought about building an amplifier with a horn on a 10ft pole directed at his house and blasting 3kHz tone towards his direction every time he turns up his music, but that is taking it to another level and i am not sure I want to go there.
1-) find hacker kid in strange subreddit forum with angst bout same issues with others disrespectful and self-centered people.

2-) have said kid hack his home sound system.

3-) have said kid program "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as sung by Judy Garland in to anything over a preset volume.

Dude will think he's :crazy2: and prolly possessed, will surely stop listening to loud AF music forever tho. Brave New World!

:dancing::trout::roflmao::monkey::applause2::bowdown:;)