Longboard Differences

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
CenCal. My territory is mainly from Gaviota to Santa Cruz. Though I love to frequent the north to SF and above. :love:

When it's small, I'm all about the chill beach breaks and occasional point.

6-2" and 185 without a wetsuit. $2k budget

Don't want to ride like the spaz in that video above. I dig this styling. Will keep me in the water when it's almost flat, and keep me in shape which I'm finding increasingly harder to do these days.

My 8' x22" 2.75" MC ewing 5 fin pintail bonzer out runs semi to complete close out beach break in trim 5th gear:)

Reactions: r32

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Went into my local to pick up a log I had my eye on but it sold by the time I was ready to pull the trigger. Looked over and saw a 7’6 Stewart Funline with the dug out hull thingy running down the rails on the bottom. Not sure the how or the why but the design really works!! The side bite fin boxes are actually deeper than normal which allows me to run large Aipa twin fins with no center fin. This board is sooooooo fun in shin-nipple high waves. I can cheater five on it, cross step to close out floater lip bash and it holds the high line rather well even with the rounded nose. It also fits in the cab of my truck which is a bonus. I now have zero excuses for not getting wet and glad I impulsively bought it. Stocked

Reactions: r32

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
CenCal. My territory is mainly from Gaviota to Santa Cruz. Though I love to frequent the north to SF and above. :love:

When it's small, I'm all about the chill beach breaks and occasional point.

6-2" and 185 without a wetsuit. $2k budget

Don't want to ride like the spaz in that video above. I dig this styling. Will keep me in the water when it's almost flat, and keep me in shape which I'm finding increasingly harder to do these days.
Plenty of incredible shapers in your area to bounce ideas off of that will be way more helpful than anyone on these boards. They have different specialties and aesthetics, as well as different turn around times and prices. With 2k, you kind of have your pick of all of them. I know for a fact that some of them could have your board finished in 2-3 weeks if you asked them.

Wayne Rich
Parmenter
Stoneman
Ward Coffey
Bob Pearson
Kalu Coletta
Michelle Junod
Doug Haut
Travis Reynolds
Andreini
Clyde BEatty Jr.
Matt Moore

This list is not complete, but a start.

For your budget, you could also order one from anywhere else in CA and pick it up/ship it somewhere. That opens you up to everyone

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
There are a lot of beautiful longboard shapes out there. I will say that frequently when the glass shop across the driveway from me has the door open and they have maybe pulled a few boards out for a little sun flash, I am consistently walking across the driveway to see what are frequently Wayne Rich LBs. I see it from a distance and I want to know who shaped it. Wayne again.

My partner, Spencer Kellogg makes a beautiful longboard as well. His spoons are insane.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
One thing to consider is that a trad log might trim beautifully, but try to let it run out in front of the wave and it instantly loses speed. Gotta be connected to the wall/pocket.

I don't like "performance longboarding" - find it ugly as sin - but have no time for noseriding either. I'm after glide in little waves, and swooping turns on waist-high fatter waves. For that I find a mini glider type board with hard edge much better.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Getting older so I'm gonna plop down some money in the next year or two and get a Tyler Hatzikian midsize or longboard and keep it forever. Haven't owned a midsize or longboard in over a decade and I don't know anything about them. But I've always wanted a Tyler and I trust him to steer me in the right direction.

Reactions: billypilgrim

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
There are a lot of beautiful longboard shapes out there. I will say that frequently when the glass shop across the driveway from me has the door open and they have maybe pulled a few boards out for a little sun flash, I am consistently walking across the driveway to see what are frequently Wayne Rich LBs. I see it from a distance and I want to know who shaped it. Wayne again.

My partner, Spencer Kellogg makes a beautiful longboard as well. His spoons are insane.
Underappreciated imo.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Getting older so I'm gonna plop down some money in the next year or two and get a Tyler Hatzikian midsize or longboard and keep it forever. Haven't owned a midsize or longboard in over a decade and I don't know anything about them. But I've always wanted a Tyler and I trust him to steer me in the right direction.
I had a Tyler 777 and it was incredible. Ended up selling later on to make room in the quiver but it was hands down the best log I've ridden.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I had a Tyler 777 and it was incredible. Ended up selling later on to make room in the quiver but it was hands down the best log I've ridden.
Apparently he just closed up his shop and joined the crew at moonlight so I'll have to drive down if I want to get one now (I'm in LA) but I still plan on doing it. South bay seems to lose a lot of good shapers to Encinitas: Matt Calvani, John Wegener, and now Tyler.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Since lots of kooks ride longboards some surfers think that riding a longboard is easy. It's not.
Riding a midlength is easy though. 8'x22" quite a bit easier than a 9'6"

Reactions: oeste858

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
9-0 is the shortest contestable longboard length fwiw.

below that you can tell yourself youre riding a longboard if it makes you feel better but everyone knows your on a funboard

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Since lots of kooks ride longboards some surfers think that riding a longboard is easy. It's not.
Riding a midlength is easy though. 8'x22" quite a bit easier than a 9'6"
I am a perfect example of this. Love my 7’ 6” and 8’... sketch out on 9’ to 9’ 6” I’ve ridden.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
9-0 is the shortest contestable longboard length fwiw.

below that you can tell yourself youre riding a longboard if it makes you feel better but everyone knows your on a funboard
I agree. I saw some mentions here about checking out a sub-9' length and was thinking that is more fun board length. True longboards I've seen in the shops seem to be in the 9 or 9'6 range.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I agree. I saw some mentions here about checking out a sub-9' length and was thinking that is more fun board length. True longboards I've seen in the shops seem to be in the 9 or 9'6 range.
True this and real struggle to really nose ride below 9' but my 8' ewing mini log holds trim like a much bigger board with 5th gear and I am content doing cheater 5'z at local beach break. If you ride point breaks go for claasic 9'+ but much more fun mini log or mid shape for beach break.

Reactions: kidfury

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'm not one to call anything under 9ft a longboard.

I'm neither here nor there on HP longboarding. It comes down to whatever you want to do.
Great surfers surf well. Very few on this board are great surfers. There are some guys that I'd call "HP longboarders" that are a joy to watch. Big carves and bottom turns, noserides,etc. Go watch Kai Sallas, Antoine Delpero, Taylor Jensen, or Bonga and tell me they aren't ripping. There are some that are absolutely hideous.

There are PLENTY of "traditional" longboarders with hideous, flawed, contrived, style and approach as well. Others are beautiful to watch.

You aren't either one. Consider the waves you want to surf, talk to your shaper, be honest with your ability and desired outcome, and let them show you what they have. Better yet, ask if they or anyone else has something you can take for a spin.

Huge planky Malibu log in a beachbreak? bad idea for most.
Rockered out HP long board at a mushy pointbreak?Also a bad idea for most.

But for me, anyone riding a sub 9 foot board and calling it "longboarding" is a certified kook. That's an egg/funboard. Mini mal if you're an Australianish.

Last edited: