Double Income, No Kids. Must Surf. Where would you live?

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
some places are better than others

imagine selling insurance in Nebraska w an aging wife - 3 kids and a mortgage
Imagine not selling anything, getting minimum wage to serve drinks and sling diner food full plates, having said 3 kids, no significant other to help out, no family support, and of course the whole pandemic shutdown comes along to cheer your life up...

Cause you know there's noone out there who fits that description, or even worse.

Not only some places, some realities.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Imagine not selling anything, getting minimum wage to serve drinks and sling diner food full plates, having said 3 kids, no significant other to help out, no family support, and of course the whole pandemic shutdown comes along to cheer your life up...

Cause you know there's noone out there who fits that description, or even worse.

Not only some places, some realities.
you just scared me - life gets hard for many
and we are lucky to have lifed near the ocean and enjoy its healing powers
D7FC07C6-0A41-427B-B978-0A32932FAECC.jpeg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One of my fears, and I don't have that many, was having kids and not being able to support them.

For some reason, that scared the sh!t out of me.

When I see people who have kids and they can't support them, I think, Oh you didn't have that fear that I had biasing your decisions.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
One of my fears, and I don't have that many, was having kids and not being able to support them.

For some reason, that scared the sh!t out of me.

When I see people who have kids and they can't support them, I think, Oh you didn't have that fear that I had biasing your decisions.
That’s when the little fvckers need to learn to pick themselves up by the huarache straps. There’s no minimum age requirement for YouTube influencers that I’m aware of.

A good days wage for a campesino here is equivalent $25 usd. Average between $15 - $20. That would cover a family of four. For everything.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That’s when the little fvckers need to learn to pick themselves up by the huarache straps. There’s no minimum age requirement for YouTube influencers that I’m aware of.

A good days wage for a campesino here is equivalent $25 usd. Average between $15 - $20. That would cover a family of four. For everything.
I did want a job picking mangoes until I heard how hard it was with the heat and the bugs and the low pay.

But at least my children could eat.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I did want a job picking mangoes until I heard how hard it was with the heat and the bugs and the low pay.

But at least my children could eat.
In season anyway. The pickers are young, kids that didn’t continue school after elementary/middle school.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Jamaica is pretty murder-y tho, yeah?
Breeg an Army Mon.... First thing you need to do is research the History of the place you want to move to. Good friends of mine. Johnny S and Bunky. They went to the very first Jamaican Reggea Sunsplash concert. They had their pictures taken for the Kingston Times newspapers. Jamaica was British.... Before that, Port Royale... The pirate haven of the Carribean. Jah....

Last edited:

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Houses in Hatteras and Nica...fall/winter one place, spring/summer in the other.

Reactions: GromsDad

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
some places are better than others

imagine selling insurance in Nebraska w an aging wife - 3 kids and a mortgage
I don't know....
How fat and stupid are my wife and kids?
Did i kill it in high school football?
How often do I churn through dodge rams?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Double income, no kids is Santa Cruz
This. I'd probably pick something between Carmel and SF, or scout North of Gate for something with an option on howler blowouts.

Pointbreaks next to remotely serviceably internet connections are zoos. Might as well be in one of the nicest places on Earth. Option for NW blowouts, good options, even on weekends, if you're willing to drive.

Outside California first pick would be Oregon. Outside US, picks would be Anglosphere, Norway, Iceland, France/Spain/Portugal, Chile, Mexico, or El Salvador, which has the same problem PR has; it generally sucks surf-wise for six months. I'm not sure where would accept a single 40-year old who isn't bringing a pile of cash.

why does Puerto Rico never get mentioned?

plenty of surf, warm water and 2nd world living costs. or am I missing something?
Real Estate costs a fckng fortune, if it doesn't readily grow on the island it costs a fckng fortune, it's crowded not even considering surfing, crime sucks, reggaeton sucks, surfing with packs of goons with shaved eyebrows sucks, getting hit with a hurricane when you're 15 minutes from I-95 sucks; forget being an island.

but great surf, right?
Surf can be great half the year. The other half of the year, give me North Florida any day. Shitty trade swell window. Not many beachbreak options = focused crowd. Shitloads of tourists, shitloads of local spongers. Going backside with 90 longboarders and 400 aggro bodyboarders the 3-4 months/year there's fronts sounds like no fun.

I'd pick a poorer island farther out, and give up on the NW in exchange for enough trade swell to feed the mouths.