XTR

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
This thread is fucking hilarious.

XTR uses XPS foam, not EPS foam. FCD uses XPS foam, although they ironically used logos that said EPS for years. It's a non issue.

XTR produces some boards that have issues. EVERYONE (maybe not Greg, but everyone else) produces some boards that have issues.

No board is perfectly symmetrical. It's really just not possible. You can get close - really close - but please be realistic.

@casa_mugrienta : I saw earlier (meaning a few pages back now) that you said Aipa boards were finish shaped by the ghosts at XTR. I don't know about other boards, but Duke definitely shaped mine. Not saying that makes it better than another; just saying Duke does shape his own boards. Everything else you said I 100% agree on. A certain Tomo lover has GOT to stop deep throating everything Daniel Tomson & XTR. They're all very good - I love Tomo boards, which is a known thing around here - but man, he's not the second coming. Just ease off the hyperbole, other guy.

I've got two XTR boards on the way right now. A Tomo and my first Aipa - as noted, a Duke shape. Looking forward to them. Might even report on these one day... or not. This place is a dumpster fire.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Hahaha! No need. I agree with 99.5% of it. : )

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Now that your claims regarding epoxy production have been shown inaccurate you're moving goalposts to XPS (?)

Give it up already.
What are you talking about? Nothing has been shown inaccurate.
Nobody has named anyone that has been doing epoxy consistently for longer than XTR?
XTR went through all the growing pains of delams, oven curing, theremoventing, etc. and are still around today. Javier said they almost went out of business at one point. But they've stayed in the game. All the while continuing to play with epoxy. I even heard they contracted a chemist to make their epoxy, so that it was different from any other epoxy out there. Ask around casa...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

XTR uses XPS foam, not EPS foam. FCD uses XPS foam, although they ironically used logos that said EPS for years. It's a non issue.

XTR produces some boards that have issues. EVERYONE (maybe not Greg, but everyone else) produces some boards that have issues.

No board is perfectly symmetrical. It's really just not possible. You can get close - really close - but please be realistic.

@casa_mugrienta : I saw earlier (meaning a few pages back now) that you said Aipa boards were finish shaped by the ghosts at XTR. I don't know about other boards, but Duke definitely shaped mine. Not saying that makes it better than another; just saying Duke does shape his own boards. Everything else you said I 100% agree on. A certain Tomo lover has GOT to stop deep throating everything Daniel Tomson & XTR. They're all very good - I love Tomo boards, which is a known thing around here - but man, he's not the second coming. Just ease off the hyperbole, other guy.

I've got two XTR boards on the way right now. A Tomo and my first Aipa - as noted, a Duke shape. Looking forward to them. Might even report on these one day... or not. This place is a dumpster fire.
I feel like your "second coming" comment is a jab at my faith. Which is lame.
Everyone on this forum knows how well his boards work (including you). They've been working years for me and have helped my surfing a lot. I like his boards and aint afraid to show it.

Other people on here love their CI brand or Von Sol brand or Pyzel brand or whatever. They might not be as vocal as vocal as i am but everyone has their brand.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What are you talking about? Nothing has been shown inaccurate.
Your claims about the history of epoxy surfboard glassing have been shown to be inaccurate.

Go back and read my replies to your claims.

Nobody has named anyone that has been doing epoxy consistently for longer than XTR?
I did indeed name two individuals off the top of my head, go back and read.

XTR went through all the growing pains of delams, oven curing, theremoventing, etc. and are still around today. Javier said they almost went out of business at one point. But they've stayed in the game. All the while continuing to play with epoxy.
I'm confused at what you're getting at.

Once again - Javier is just one of many epoxy pioneers.

Others were experimenting on a large scale, perhaps even larger, at the same time as him. And before him.

I even heard they contracted a chemist to make their epoxy, so that it was different from any other epoxy out there.
He is not the only one to do this, I can think of at least two other individuals off the top of my head - that kook Greg Loehr who created RESIN RESEARCH ... "Since 1982", and Proctor has used his own formula as well.

I'm sure there are others.

Ask around casa...
I've been asking over the years, now I'm trying to relay the info to you.

But you're not interested.

You're only interested in sticking to your narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: sh3

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
FCD uses 3 layers of glass on the deck and 2 on the bottom? Those boards must be stiff as hell and unbreakable. If no complaints on the ride then is the whole flex thing a gimmick?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
In all seriousness, is the foam just difficult to shape? Time and again it seems finish shaping is an issue, from the boards I've seen with two different rails to the above poster who had a hard edge all the way to the nose on one side.

Its a bit of a cnut to shape for sure.

I’ve only done small things with it, paipos, planes <<<<<<<<<<TRIGGER WARNING>>>>>>>>>> foilboards, but it has a kind of grain to it and you can, for instance screen it quite nicely in one direction, then tear massive chunks with very little pressure when you reverse direction. Same with a planer, goes good, then blammo. Was easiest to shape with a belt sander but that gets old pretty quickly.

It has a very low melting point too, and I heard that cnc cutters make it too hot when set up for eps and poly. Marshmallow ensues.

Reactions: ReForest
Nov 25, 2020
So, 8.0 (6+4/4)with stringer is equivalent to
a slightly heavy pu/pe?

Would that be the best bet for a standard shorty?
I would not go with stringer- talk to shey about what you are ordering and he will advise you on the high density foam + stringer tape... pu and xtr are not that different at 8.0, maybe 25% lighter in my estimates depending on glassing of the pu. Maybe less for lost boards ots

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
FCD uses 3 layers of glass on the deck and 2 on the bottom? Those boards must be stiff as hell and unbreakable. If no complaints on the ride then is the whole flex thing a gimmick?
Correct...stiffer than regular construction but not “stiff as hell and unbreakable” - kinda sits in a happy medium between flex, weight and durability. I don’t think there’s a board that’s unbreakable

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay

Funny timing, you mentioning Duke. Hung with him yesterday as he saved me a trip south and brought up 4 boards I had waiting at Dark Arts, 3 Hank Warners and one from him. He mentioned he stopped at XTR earlier in the day, maybe he was dropping off your board or picking up a blank there. Here’s the board he did for me, a lil metallic gold Sting step-up
939ABD1C-D38A-44C9-B97C-ECCD2FCA7FA1.jpeg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Rode my FCD F-Rocket in well overhead and windy waves today. Forgot how fun this board is. And the construction doesn't feel like EPS, feels more like a light PU.
I was looking at this model a while ago. Curious where does this one fit in with your ghosts? What conditions would you reach for it over the ghost?

Reactions: Cest