XTR

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@Muscles That really stinks and I'm bummed to hear all these QC issues at XTR since I've had only good experience in the past. Certainly seems to be some issues going on over there, and across different shapers' designs too so that tells where the problem lies. Obviously, it's not practical for you to just send it back to XTR but you should contact them and let them know what you've found. If you're on Oahu, I wonder if it wouldn't be useful to bring it to the Pyzel factory to show them, and get their take on it (so you don't feel like you're just nuts) and more importantly, so they are aware of the issue with XTR putting out sub-standard Pyzels to customers.

Last edited:

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Well, I guess I'm another unsatisfied customer from XTR. Won't order another.

Ordered a 6'5 Ghost in stock dims last April for this winter. Stock dimensions are 6'5 x 20.25 x 3.0. Received it and put it in my racks. Didn't surf it during summer because it was supposed to be a step up for me. Didn't really look the board over besides waxing it and sticking a pad on.

Finally got around to surfing it the last couple weeks and something always felt off to me. I couldn't figure it out. The board would have flashes of brilliance and then back to struggling just to get it to turn. Something definitely felt off. When I first felt it over I noticed how thick the board is and how chunky the rails are. Finally, I compared my board to a friends PU Ghost from the Waialua factory and realized how much thicker the XTR Ghost is.

The board feels really thick and narrow and the rails feel really full. I'm almost positive that it is not supposed to be this way. It looks completely different when compared to my friend's Ghost in the same dims. Besides the extreme thickness, the board has a few sand throughs on the rail and tail. My brother borrowed the board one session and he even mentioned how thick it felt compared to all of his boards. For reference, my bro is 240 lbs and rides bigger boards. So his comment made me realize something was up.

I've now owned two XTRs and it appears the thickness issue is a running trend. My Psycho Killer had super fat rails and sand throughs. Chocked it up to a one off issue but it looks like it is something XTR does. I've scanned this message board and read a few instances of the rails or tail being way too thick. Someone here had a tail block on a Patterson that was way too thick. From what I can tell, the foam is hard to shape and cutting the rails and deck down is difficult.

Here's a few pics. Someone tell me I'm crazy and I suck on the board because I'm a kook. I'd love to realize that I am wrong.
I have a stock PU/PE 6'5 and its quite a thick board. Its a 6'5" with 39.4 Liters, what were you expecting? For comparison I have a 6'6" from XTR that I ordered at 2-7/8 and its rather knifey. Im not saying that you are wrong, just that a 6'5 stock ghost is a chunky board. edit: I will go take some pics of my stock 6'5 in a few minutes here

Last edited:

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
it looks funky.. but you should bring it to pyzel in hawaii. It’s too hard to tell from photos. And most of us aren’t your size.

I do think ghosts have reasonably full rails compared to most hpsbs. And would say pyzels do in general. It’s a different rail shape that has a little meat.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I guess I'm an anomaly. Couldn't be happier.

Got a new Hydrodynamica bar of soap (the GMM2 as designed by Daniel Tomson) and a Duke Aipa shaped Aipa Dark Twin. LOVE them and, as I said before, couldn't are happier.

Reactions: Havoc

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
it looks funky.. but you should bring it to pyzel in hawaii. It’s too hard to tell from photos. And most of us aren’t your size.

I do think ghosts have reasonably full rails compared to most hpsbs. And would say pyzels do in general. It’s a different rail shape that has a little meat.
wrong, I've got a 6'1 x 18.88 x 2.56 @ 29.2L the rails and tail are very knifey, got this one on a trip to ZA and it may be different than others. remember going to north shore surf shop a few months earlier and the same thickness on a stock board felt a bit chunkier, and another visit to surf ride in Oside felt somewhere between the two. who really knows whats going on behind the scenes, everytime I get a good board and it's a keeper I'll try and ride it till it's done.

Last edited:

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Your board isn’t close to stock dims for a ghost. It’s narrower than the ghost pro and not surprised it would be more foiled.

Reactions: MathDebater

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
@ehiunno - Not really sure how it came out so thick.

@oeste858 - I plan to email them and ask them to verify that it was at least cut with a stock 6'5 file. I can't figure out how it could come out so thick.

@surfysurfy1476 - I understand there is some thickness to a 3 inch board. I have never weighed less than 215 lbs during the last 15 years. So I've had my share of thick boards to float me. I at least have an idea of what thick performance boards look like. This board is ridiculously thicker and less foiled than a PU Ghost that I felt up. Your Ghost looks like what I would expect. This board does not look like that.

Last edited:

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
i wanted to order a thicc Ghost too and i think the thiccest they said they could go was 3 1/16. that pretty wild for it to come out like that. this thread has not been fun to follow for someone who has multiple boards on order : /

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Your board isn’t close to stock dims for a ghost. It’s narrower than the ghost pro and not surprised it would be more foiled.
same tickness as the 6'0" while being, 1/2 an inch narrower. board isn't a true 6'1 more like 6'3/4". the ghost pro is no different, just a different set of dimensions. Pyzel himself has come on here and said the same thing. have you actually owned and ridden these boards or just enjoy spouting nonsense?

Reactions: ReForest

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
4 direct from the source. And felt a lot in shops. Not spouting nonsense. But don't take my word for it. Go check them out. Or you can go off your one-off board.

If you think a board that is almost 3/4" narrower than stock (yet also thicker) would have the same exact foil and rail profile as a stock board - you're absolutely clueless about how boards are scaled/adjusted.

And go compare a ghost pro to a reg one. You really think the rail feels the same? The XL boards feel thicker than the reg ones, which feel thicker than the pros. This is surprising to you?

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
4 direct from the source. And felt a lot in shops. Not spouting nonsense. But don't take my word for it. Go check them out. Or you can go off your one-off board.

If you think a board that is almost 3/4" narrower than stock (yet also thicker) would have the same exact foil and rail profile as a stock board - you're absolutely clueless about how boards are scaled/adjusted.

And go compare a ghost pro to a reg one. You really think the rail feels the same? The XL boards feel thicker than the reg ones, which feel thicker than the pros. This is surprising to you?
Just stood next to my " 6'1 " ghost, last measured height 185cm (72.83in), easily half an inch taller. Ordered the board in typical shortboard dimensions and volume that I was using at the time. Came from the horses mouth (Pyzel) that the stock boards are the same XL, Pro etc., just adjusted to fit the slimmer and chunkier surfer's needs. Basically it boils down to it's a crapshoot when you get a new board, there is some variance in the production of all material goods. And to add a board that may feel good under the arm and fondled by hand may be a bit too small/big once in the water. Have had a number of Pyzel's over the years and wouldn't say at all his stock rails are chunkier than normal. The Ghost is known for having a domed deck and low knifey rails.