XTR

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
FCD has been around a while and does exclusively epoxy/XPS(same foam as XTR and they don’t seem to have a problem shaping it) and they come out way better than XTRs. Their finished product is literally flawless. I’ve had a over a dozen from them, all with color and they have all been impeccable. Each of those are resin tinted, not sprayed. I’d easily put FCD and Dark Arts way above XTR for quality epoxy work.
How do you know FCD has never had any QC issues?

Reactions: ReForest

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah I always keep mine out of the sun and in a bag, but in Hawaii our cars heat up pretty warm and I've had a FCD delam. With my other FCD I actually take the board out with me if I go somewhere to eat and put it in the shade or I go home and drop it off.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You’re right...FCD doesn’t do Lost or Pyzels. They also don’t do gimmicks. No Flex Value, no blue foam, no striped taped passed off as carbon fiber. They just make solid shapes with stringered XPS blanks. They also do 3 layers of glass on the deck and 2 on the bottom. And they have the strictest QC. If you want epoxy Pyzels, do what I did and go with Dark Arts or
E-Tech(those are PU/epoxy and resin tinted grey)
View attachment 102688
View attachment 102691

Pfft.

Those guys are amateurs.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Well you just said that they come out way better than XTR's and are way above the quality of XTR. You cant even keep one in the car on a hot day without delam issues...
I’ve seen plenty of FCDs and XTRs and have visited both factories numerous times. I’d say they’re run differently, to say the least. All the FCDs I’VE seen and had have been flawless.
And I wouldn’t leave ANY board in a car on a hot day, regardless of construction type

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
FCD has been around a while and does exclusively epoxy/XPS(same foam as XTR and they don’t seem to have a problem shaping it) and they come out way better than XTRs. Their finished product is literally flawless. I’ve had a over a dozen from them, all with color and they have all been impeccable. Each of those are resin tinted, not sprayed. I’d easily put FCD and Dark Arts way above XTR for quality epoxy work. View attachment 102685
How long has FCD been doing extruded foam?

Nov 25, 2020
You’re right...FCD doesn’t do Lost or Pyzels. They also don’t do gimmicks. No Flex Value, no blue foam, no striped taped passed off as carbon fiber. They just make solid shapes with stringered XPS blanks. They also do 3 layers of glass on the deck and 2 on the bottom. And they have the strictest QC. If you want epoxy Pyzels, do what I did and go with Dark Arts or
View attachment 102688
View attachment 102691
Do you feel a difference between the 2 - dark arts and etech?

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
Those 2 strips of carbon really is more for looks than acting like a stringer. It may add some small level of strength to the board but it’s not the actual thick weaved carbon fiber Justin uses to wrap the entire board

This was my first and last XTR. Custom ordered it from Dan and Javier back in 2010. When it was “finished” it had exposed foam(no glass or resin) on one of the tips in the tail when I picked it up. Just like in ChaseTMP’s case, after a decade it looks like QC there could still improveView attachment 101291View attachment 101292View attachment 101293

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
View attachment 102688
View attachment 102691
How is E-Tech's quality? I've never got a board through them. I actually met with the owner Ryan Harris and Sustainable Surf's Kevin Whilden back in 2013 when I had the harebrained idea to start a clothing/surfboard brand and wanted the most eco-friendly boards possible. Reality quickly set in the kind of numbers I'd have to do to make it a viable business and with a wife, kid and mortgage, I abandoned the idea about as quickly as I conceived it. Ryan did seem really knowledgeable about materials and board-building in general. Michael Ciaramella was riding one of Ryan's shapes for a few segments (in Re-flex tech) in the latest Stab wetsuit test that went up yesterday.

Were your Pyzels shaped down in Oceanside and you brought the shaped blanks up to Torrance, or is Ryan finishing them off files at E-Tech?

I can attest that XTR's Flex Value may be a gimmick as two boards that were supposed to be exactly the same had two different values, 4 vs. 6.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I wasn't familiar with E-tech until now, they do look really cool. Thanks for the pointer. The website is a little confusing. I like the look of the "re-flex" on their website, similar to what Arakawa is doing with their XO construction + others who have done some similar things. I wonder what the pricing is like. Other than some brand names listed on the front page there isn't much info about ordering a CI/etc from them.

I see now that Pyzel has removed the XTR option from the custom order form on their site for newer models (ghost, shadow, etc). It's still there for the older models, perhaps they just haven't bothered to update those. They are still available on the epoxysurfboards.com site though. I swear just a few days ago you could select XTR as an option on the Ghost order form, I wonder if something is happening behind the scenes.

FWIW, I don't think the XTR flex is a gimmick but I do think the value number is a bit arbitrary. My shadow (with more carbon and heavier glassing) is noticeably stiffer than my gremlin.

Nov 25, 2020
Xtr flex is no gimmick- to me , i have 2 dd's and both are the same sized fish. The non xtr epoxy feels super stiff...

Aug 27, 2015
FCD has been around a while and does exclusively epoxy/XPS(same foam as XTR and they don’t seem to have a problem shaping it) and they come out way better than XTRs. Their finished product is literally flawless. I’ve had a over a dozen from them, all with color and they have all been impeccable. Each of those are resin tinted, not sprayed. I’d easily put FCD and Dark Arts way above XTR for quality epoxy work. View attachment 102685
How do you like Dark Arts? They are just a few miles from me and was thinking about checking it out and trying a demo board. I've read a few things about them possibly being too light and too stiff, and the Pyzel website recommends that construction for smaller, weaker waves. My next board is going to be more for larger San Diego beach break waves.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
you should go demo. It's a unique feel, and some will like it, some won't. I thought it felt great for small waves- but I prefer a lighter grovel board. If you're talking head-high Scripps, I think I'd be fine, but beyond that I think you'd want to compensate for the lightness. But I've only demoed a board, so you should listen to whatever @waxurDyl says about them