MLB Official thread 2020

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
His manager that he was sitting next to unmasked is a cancer survivor. I get the contact tracing in the clubhouse and most of those guys likely have been exposed to him. But how about their families, league officials, stadium staff, security, broadcast production crew members, etc. His teammates may have very well said “fvvk it come join the party” which I get. That’s their decision. But the camera operators and league officials who were also on the field didn’t get much of a say did they? I understand why him and his teammates wanted him on the field and I genuinely felt bad for him if he did miss the celebration but it’s wildly irresponsible and the optics are terrible.
I didn't see him on the field right after the game and I was feeling sorry for him. Now not so much. I guess he joined a little later? At the very least he should have worn a mask.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
His manager that he was sitting next to unmasked is a cancer survivor. I get the contact tracing in the clubhouse and most of those guys likely have been exposed to him. But how about their families, league officials, stadium staff, security, broadcast production crew members, etc. His teammates may have very well said “fvvk it come join the party” which I get. That’s their decision. But the camera operators and league officials who were also on the field didn’t get much of a say did they? I understand why him and his teammates wanted him on the field and I genuinely felt bad for him if he did miss the celebration but it’s wildly irresponsible and the optics are terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I didn't see him on the field right after the game and I was feeling sorry for him. Now not so much. I guess he joined a little later? At the very least he should have worn a mask.
Plenty of footage in this Fox Sports segment. Rosenthal also shares that he tested positive a day prior and took the field to play anyway. He didn't have any effect on the outcome of the game. But it was wildly irresponsible. He shouldn't have been in the stadium at all yesterday and MLB should have actually considered postponing the game because of others who were exposed in the clubhouse. It'll be interesting to see if this turns into a super spreader event.

Frankly I think this is more about MLB than it is about JT and the Dodgers. They're gonna be facing a lot of questions about how they mismanaged this. Another mark against Manfred.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
How incredibly irresponsible. What was he thinking? Bam him for life. If people behave like that, how will we ever flatten the cur....oh, wait... :rolleyes:
(Honest opinion is glad he joined them, anyone who is "at risk" should be looking out for their own well being at this point, not asking a newly crowned champion to sit alone and separate so that they don't feel bad about the "optics")

As far as baseball goes, how about we keep this 60 game season thing? The other 2/3 of the season is just not necessary or entertaining. This was a good amount of baseball. Hockey and basketball too, fewer games means more meaningful games.

Reactions: JBerry

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
How incredibly irresponsible. What was he thinking? Bam him for life. If people behave like that, how will we ever flatten the cur....oh, wait... :rolleyes:
(Honest opinion is glad he joined them, anyone who is "at risk" should be looking out for their own well being at this point, not asking a newly crowned champion to sit alone and separate so that they don't feel bad about the "optics")

As far as baseball goes, how about we keep this 60 game season thing? The other 2/3 of the season is just not necessary or entertaining. This was a good amount of baseball. Hockey and basketball too, fewer games means more meaningful games.
Anyone who wants less baseball isn’t a baseball fan. I wanted the dodgers to lose last night for no other reason than I could have one more day to watch baseball before the off season. If 162 games is too much for you, find something else to do.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Absolutely

The Rams were what the A's are to the Giants, or the Mets to the Yankees when they were both in LA.
bs

ever been to an a's game when they are in the hunt? ever been same with the giants?

a's fans are all heart and soul.

giants fans are a bunch of corporate twats and sheep.

fuck the giants

if cant be green and gold, it damn well better be dodger blue

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot and Kento

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
JT is a free agent next year anyways, he's going out with a ring and leaving the Covid behind!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Quite the blow up online over that Justin Turner dude getting a positive result during the game, being pulled, and then going back out to celebrate with everyone after the win. Now the Dodgers and Rays can't fly back home until they are cleared.

What would you do? Stay in the quarantine area, or go back and out and celebrate a moment in life you might never have again, while risking giving covid to everyone else.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Anyone who wants less baseball isn’t a baseball fan. I wanted the dodgers to lose last night for no other reason than I could have one more day to watch baseball before the off season. If 162 games is too much for you, find something else to do.
You don't watch 162 games. What do you watch, 50? No one but Tim Kirkjian watches 162 baseball games. It's too many, a relic from a time when there was fvck all else on the radio, and it waters down any memorable performance. The playoffs are must watch entertainment because of how short they are and how that changes the way people play the game.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Quite the blow up online over that Justin Turner dude getting a positive result during the game, being pulled, and then going back out to celebrate with everyone after the win. Now the Dodgers and Rays can't fly back home until they are cleared.

What would you do? Stay in the quarantine area, or go back and out and celebrate a moment in life you might never have again, while risking giving covid to everyone else.
Why would someone who is at risk of being impacted by Covid be on the field with him, or interacting intimately with someone from the field later? If Justin turner's teammate catches covid from him, and brings it to another person with a compromised immune system....why did the person with the compromised immune system fail to protect themselves? Why were they in a situation where they contracted covid? Shouldn't they have had a mask on, be socially distant, and make better choices about who they spend close time with? Why does the blame fall on the other end?

• Haha
Reactions: r32

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

how about a dose of logic-

pulling and quarantining him at that point is asinine. the entire club house has already been exposed to him. what difference does it make. can't fuck your way to virginity.

this covd sh!t has effected people's ability to make rational decisions

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Why would someone who is at risk of being impacted by Covid be on the field with him, or interacting intimately with someone from the field later? If Justin turner's teammate catches covid from him, and brings it to another person with a compromised immune system....why did the person with the compromised immune system fail to protect themselves? Why were they in a situation where they contracted covid? Shouldn't they have had a mask on, be socially distant, and make better choices about who they spend close time with? Why does the blame fall on the other end?
Do you even responsibility-for-YOUR-actions bro?

• Haha
Reactions: stringcheese

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Argue against my reasoning though! If two people fvck, and end up with the same STD, but both knew damn well going in that there is a silent STD going around that either of them may have and may pass.... why is it the top that gets blamed because the bottom got symptoms later? How about "if you're gonna fvck, wear a condom, or you get what you get"?
Only thing I'm sick of is this logic. If your diabetic cancer surviving 80 year old friend would wear their fitted N95 mask and keep to themselves, you wouldn't have to worry about what Justin Turner is doing.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You don't watch 162 games. What do you watch, 50? No one but Tim Kirkjian watches 162 baseball games. It's too many, a relic from a time when there was fvvk all else on the radio, and it waters down any memorable performance. The playoffs are must watch entertainment because of how short they are and how that changes the way people play the game.
Of course I don't watch 162. I actually listen more than I watch. From pre-season on if I'm working, home or in my car I'm either listening to or watching a game every chance I get. And if my team isn't playing I'll watch or listen to another team. Thats the beauty of it. It's on almost every day for the majority of the year. Unlike football you don't have to schedule your life around it and give up your weekends. 162 games makes it okay to miss all or part of a game. But it's a constant that's almost always there when you want it to be. I don't sit and watch every pitch. It's a great sport to multitask to. You don't have to plant yourself on the sofa and shove pizza and wings in your face the entire game. I listen to streaming games on long dog walks and while doing all kinds of projects.

Reactions: Ifallalot

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

pulling and quarantining him at that point is asinine. they entire club house has already been exposed to him. what difference does it make.
Your use of 'logic' :roflmao:

By your 'logic', everyone that was exposed to him must have already got covid (if they were going to get it from him) and thereby repeated exposure must be ok. :poke:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

pulling and quarantining him at that point is asinine. they entire club house has already been exposed to him. what difference does it make. can't fook your to virginity.

this covd sh!t has effected people's ability to make rational decisions

Which is frankly why this is gonna end up being more of an indictment of MLB and it's testing policy. There were major fuck ups and we're probably going to find out in coming days that last nights game should have never been played but they were this close to the finish line and didn't want to postpone. JT will end up being their fall guy because of his public actions but the problem is surely what went on behind the scenes. It's the job of MLB to administer and enforce it's testing policy. Clearly there were failures if a player who failed a test the prior day and potentially exposed his entire clubhouse was allowed to take the field and his second test didn't come back until mid-game. Keep in mind in past scenarios earlier in the season games were postponed due to positive test results. MLB and the networks clearly chose not to postpone because the World Series is too big a stage. JT acting like an irresponsible idiot after the game only shined a light on it.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Of course I don't watch 162. I actually listen more than I watch. From pre-season on if I'm working, home or in my car I'm either listening to or watching a game every chance I get. And if my team isn't playing I'll watch or listen to another team. Thats the beauty of it. It's on almost every day for the majority of the year. Unlike football you don't have to schedule your life around it and give up your weekends. 162 games makes it okay to miss all or part of a game. But it's a constant that's almost always there when you want it to be. I don't sit and watch every pitch. It's a great sport to multitask to. You don't have to plant yourself on the sofa and shove pizza and wings in your face the entire game. I listen to streaming games on long dog walks and while doing all kinds of projects.
I'm a hockey guy. The 82 game season is easily 20 games too long. I like the sport, and am not a fan of seeing it played with half intensity by people mildly interested in the outcome. That's what the end of a long season becomes.
Baseball is a different game. If you like hearing the background of a 52-51 twins team playing a 51-52 tigers team for the third time in two days...whatever floats your boat. I'll be back when at least the pitcher and batter are interested in the outcome of the game.