Gas powered vehicles -DONE

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Thank you! Really anyone that could afford it at the time could have got the tax break. Upper middle
Lower class. We looked at another suv of all types and aside from a Kia Hyundai all were 50$k or more. The credit was for EVs only. All manufactures that make evs have the credit, their evs just aren’t as popular and that’s why they still have max credits avail. When someone makes an ev minivan, I’m sure you’ll be the first on the list! And you’ll get that tax credit too! And I totally agree,
Where is the credit for the mid class family mini van or similar? That’s lame just as well! Ask the Congress!
Why do you think Honda and Toyota haven't produced an EV minivan already? Don't they understand the technology? DOn't they understand the market? Are they morons?

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Their factories are set up to make gas engine minivans, not electric ones Expensive to change for uncertain market but the change is coming

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Their factories are set up to make gas engine minivans, not electric ones Expensive to change for uncertain market but the change is coming
Why hasn't Tesla made one then? His factory makes only EVs and could address the market if they wanted.

Also, is it true that Honda and Toyota only make gas engine minivans? Don't they make hybrids that use the same Lithium Ion batteries, regenerative breaking, and even plug-in hybrids? What about the Honda hydrogen fuel cell car? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Clarity (67 mpg without the heavy batteries wow)

Edit: you know, the more I think about it, the more I think this doesn't matter. California will have no families by 2035 anyways. It'll just be a bunch of geezers playing bumper cars in their EVs, which can be regulated below 5 mph with a factory software "upgrade." The tradesmen - well some clause will be written in for their trucks or they'll all just drive in from other states and work for 6 months then leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
EVs will hit the big time when they come out with one with the same total cost of ownership as its gas-powered alternative. Imagine an EV Toyota Corolla that will give out a quarter million trouble-free miles like the gas-powered ones.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
It’s not even close to 5% per year! Way less! That may be a high number IF you are fully charging it every single charge, which you shouldn’t do. Tesla’s batteries are designed to last 10k(not sure of this number)? Full charging cycles. So if you only charge 75% each time, you are banking 25% and adding that to the amount of charges you have so (10k goes to 12.5-15k?) or whatever the charges remain of charging cycles.

when my wife was commuting to work daily and we charged at home, we avg about 50$ per month extra bill. Which equates to about $20 per full tank(charge).
then switched to charging at work for $3/per day once a week full, and our bill at home dropped and only charge from work $12/month.
then we noticed we actually had free supercharging, for whatever reason it didn’t show up when we bought, so it only takes about 30-40 mins to fully charge 310 miles.

also, barely use the brakes, I mean barely. Over air WiFi updates constantly keep system updated w all the goods. So about the only thing need maintenance wise is refilling washer fluid and rotating or changing tires. How much is that worth?$$$
I'm only going by what the Tesla guy told us. We had a Model S and once the wife drove a Y she was hooked...so we sold and bought a Y. the model S did degrade but I can't put a percentage on it because we only had it for a couple years and I didn't really pay attention. Tesla says 5%.

Tesla recommends you set the settings to charge them to 80% for daily, and 100% in trip mode and to only supercharge when necessary for max battery life.

Not using the brakes is one of the coolest features. It becomes intuitive very quickly and we seriously never press the brake pedal anymore. Not while driving, not at intersections, nada.

Reactions: JBerry

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Minivans = roadtrips. Something electric cars are dreadful at.
Roadtrips with whiny-ass kids and superglue-like gunk from ground up chips and cheerios and raisins and sodas and god-knows-what in the carpets and seats and dog farts and stopping to pee every hour on the hour and not being able to rock out because the kids are sleeping and your music sucks dad and Are We There Yet???? I'm Bored!!!

Our minivan was such a beater by the time we sold it. Mostly on the inside.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I want one. I think I'd vacuum bag some wood veneer on the side. I wouldn't have to worry about compound curves and I'd end up with a modern woodie. And 0-60 in under 3 seconds? Tesla-Cybertruck-Matte-Black_1600x.jpeg

Reactions: JBerry

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Minivans = roadtrips. Something electric cars are dreadful at.
Ding ding ding!
Roadtrips with whiny-ass kids and superglue-like gunk from ground up chips and cheerios and raisins and sodas and god-knows-what in the carpets and seats and dog farts and stopping to pee every hour on the hour and not being able to rock out because the kids are sleeping and your music sucks dad and Are We There Yet???? I'm Bored!!!

Our minivan was such a beater by the time we sold it. Mostly on the inside.
I think the ideal minivan would have a rapidly-deployable spanking curtain and a turbo-charger so you can pull over on the freeway, give a spanking out of the prying eyes of a childless aging Karen, and get back up to speed on the freeway easily.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
image.jpg
Road trip! I drove the camper, wife drove the T. This thing is sick on the hwy here!243991B5-3F7B-4954-A89F-63C5117EF392.jpeg

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
It's uncanny how even this topic is divided erBB right down political lines.

Why don't righties beleive in American inginuity?
That's not very patriotic.

Did any of you read that he's referring to year 2035?

Electric cars are better in almost every way.

But no, status quo at all costs.

Lame.
That's not ingenuity. That's illegally regulating under the guise of forced ingenuity and environmentalism to strategically lower the standard of living according to the United Nations playbook. It's why Newsom was put into office. Ingenuity stems from competition. Not from over-regulating. Regulation stifles ingenuity.

They don't want people driving. They don't want people flying. They don't want people with upward economic mobility. We are entering into their artificially induced post-human era and only the dumbest individuals are still blind to it. An absolute kindergarten level understanding of economics across the democratic voters. Either that or suicidal tendencies.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you sound stressed lately

usually you keep the really weird sh!t covered up a bit

now you're just waving it like a flag

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Wow conspiracy theories galore!
First the Covid thread, now the EV thread! Some of you(ahmmm JB,) gotta have something better to do..

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That's not ingenuity. That's illegally regulating under the guise of forced ingenuity and environmentalism to strategically lower the standard of living according to the United Nations playbook. It's why Newsom was put into office. Ingenuity stems from competition. Not from over-regulating. Regulation stifles ingenuity.

They don't want people driving. They don't want people flying. They don't want people with upward economic mobility. We are entering into their artificially induced post-human era and only the dumbest individuals are still blind to it. An absolute kindergarten level understanding of economics across the democratic voters. Either that or suicidal tendencies.
That's rich coming from a Qanon boi.

What's illegal about it?

Change to EV is inevitable, why do you hate being #1?

And all the fucking whining about electric vehicles being a "luxury".

Tesla Roadster cost $150,000 in 2008
12 years later you can get an EV car for $25,000
In 15 years every car manufacturer will have a sub $20k EV car, or be left behind.

Speaking of not understanding the economy. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
EVs will hit the big time when they come out with one with the same total cost of ownership as its gas-powered alternative. Imagine an EV Toyota Corolla that will give out a quarter million trouble-free miles like the gas-powered ones.
Only to be gutted by quantum transporter tech a year later.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
That's rich coming from a Qanon boi.

What's illegal about it?

Change to EV is inevitable, why do you hate being #1?

And all the fucking whining about electric vehicles being a "luxury".

Tesla Roadster cost $150,000 in 2008
12 years later you can get an EV car for $25,000
In 15 years every car manufacturer will have a sub $20k EV car, or be left behind.

Speaking of not understanding the economy. Sheesh.
What caused the progressive decline in the cost of the electric car that you showed above? Was it the competitive market combined with government subsidizing or was it the over- regulating of it's competition? Do you realize that you just proved my point?

And if this sub 20k model is truly in the near future of all brands, why such a forceful hand against gasoline powered vehicles? Based on what your saying, isn't Newsoms intervention entirely unnecessary?

And I never got into Qanon garbage. You can't source your information through anonymous accounts.