Gas powered vehicles -DONE

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Until we get the power grid up to standards to meet the demand for charging all of these vehicles we are going to struggle with rolling blackouts and restrictions/cost penalties for use in peak non-daylight hours. The current charging drain on the grid is already causing issues. Our system was not set up to have thousands of vehicles being charged over night.
A company I used to work for is selling a ton of power monitoring gear for pump motors due to the dirty power being pushed out onto the grid. Lots of pump motors getting toasted due to dirty power and that costs $$$ to repair replace. Better to monitor and shut down vs burning up and fighting the utility for the cost to repair replace.
EVs are awesome but we are not set up to handle the load they place on the grid and I'm not confident that we can get there in the next 15 years. I'm also concerned about the supply of rare earth minerals that are required to make batteries for these EVs. That is a finite resource and I think fuel cell technology will be a better path but it take power to generate hydrogen for refueling so there will still be a drain on the grid...
That noted, pre-Covid I was at a conference/trade show where a company was displaying a compact solar hydrogen generator for remote power gen that was pretty slick and looked promising so there is some hope.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Until we get the power grid up to standards to meet the demand for charging all of these vehicles we are going to struggle with rolling blackouts and restrictions/cost penalties for use in peak non-daylight hours. The current charging drain on the grid is already causing issues. Our system was not set up to have thousands of vehicles being charged over night.
A company I used to work for is selling a ton of power monitoring gear for pump motors due to the dirty power being pushed out onto the grid. Lots of pump motors getting toasted due to dirty power and that costs $$$ to repair replace. Better to monitor and shut down vs burning up and fighting the utility for the cost to repair replace.
EVs are awesome but we are not set up to handle the load they place on the grid and I'm not confident that we can get there in the next 15 years. I'm also concerned about the supply of rare earth minerals that are required to make batteries for these EVs. That is a finite resource and I think fuel cell technology will be a better path but it take power to generate hydrogen for refueling so there will still be a drain on the grid...
That noted, pre-Covid I was at a conference/trade show where a company was displaying a compact solar hydrogen generator for remote power gen that was pretty slick and looked promising so there is some hope.
Roughly 25 years ago Scientific American ran an article on a hydrogen-based grid where the liquid hydrogen was used to cool superconducting coaxial power lines and also as a hydrogen supply for fuel cells. The grid was replenished by nuke plants cracking water molecules.

Are we closer to that or further away than we were 25 years ago?

I like the idea of a compact solar hydrogen generator since it seems we'll all be generating our own power soon. You still need water to make hydrogen.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
You mean those rare earth minerals that have been stockpiled by Communist China? Those same rare earth minerals that we could have mined ourselves, but instead the Obama administration used our military as private security for the Chinese so they could have a leg up in the trade war? Those rare earth minerals?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
What caused the progressive decline in the cost of the electric car that you showed above? Was it the competitive market combined with government subsidizing or was it the over- regulating of it's competition? Do you realize that you just proved my point?
False (dichotomy).

What do you consider "over" regulation?

Which specific policy?

Brown's policy was no different than Newsome's.

How did we get from zero EVs on the roads to them comprising 10% of overall CA car sales in a decade, if the government is overregulating EV market?

What's illegal about Newsome's proposal?

If the ZEV regulation wasn't introduced in the 90s and additional regulation wasn't added over the years, the auto makers would still push gas guzzlers.

Why would they change if government didn't force them to?

The old 'let the market decide" myth has been disproved million times and you still don't get it.

What do you call people who don't learn from the facts?

And if this sub 20k model is truly in the near future of all brands, why such a forceful hand against gasoline powered vehicles? Based on what your saying, isn't Newsoms intervention entirely unnecessary?
Fück all would happen if the CA government didn't interfere. There's zero motivation for big car manufacturers to switch to EV, unless there's a regulation forcing them to.

EV is vastly superior to gas power, in every single possible way. The only reason not to switch is "because we've always done it that way".
Which is a right wing mantra.

And I never got into Qanon garbage. You can't source your information through anonymous accounts.
Right, because you rely solely reliable sources.

67446CD9-4A89-46CB-AE3C-E5072FEB38E7.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: afoaf

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Roughly 25 years ago Scientific American ran an article on a hydrogen-based grid where the liquid hydrogen was used to cool superconducting coaxial power lines and also as a hydrogen supply for fuel cells. The grid was replenished by nuke plants cracking water molecules.

Are we closer to that or further away than we were 25 years ago?

I like the idea of a compact solar hydrogen generator since it seems we'll all be generating our own power soon. You still need water to make hydrogen.
We're very far away from a hydrogen based grid. The Greenies will not allow any new nuke plants to be built in our or our children's lifetimes. There's a lot of water for hydrogen production. It can be pulled right out of the air. Plus the exhaust from the fuel celled powered whatever will be water. It's a closed loop in that regard.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Until we get the power grid up to standards to meet the demand for charging all of these vehicles we are going to struggle with rolling blackouts and restrictions/cost penalties for use in peak non-daylight hours.
Rolling blackouts because of EV cars?

Link?

The way power is being consumed in the US doesn't indicate shortage.

As for updating the grid, let's start with burrying the lines like all other 1st world countries.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Rolling blackouts because of EV cars?

Link?

The way power is being consumed in the US doesn't indicate shortage.

As for updating the grid, let's start with burrying the lines like all other 1st world countries.
Burying transmission lines before augmenting power generation capabilities? Look and see how much capability will be nearing or at the end of it’s lifecycle in 15 years and what new power generation is contemplated during the same time frame.

Solar farms aren’t gonna get consumer addicted californianos the fix they demand.

More nukes.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Burying transmission lines before augmenting power generation capabilities? Look and see how much capability will be nearing or at the end of it’s lifecycle in 15 years and what new power generation is contemplated during the same time frame.
Why do you like wild fires and electrocutions so much?

If only we could cut the power consumption somehow. :unsure:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Why do you like wild fires and electrocutions so much?

If only we could cut the power consumption somehow. :unsure:
Start at home. Specifically, your home. Make your own power with the smallest carbon footprint within your economical capabilities. Lead by example. Get back to us.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Start at home. Specifically, your home. Make your own power with the smallest carbon footprint within your economical capabilities. Lead by example. Get back to us.
Okay, Im back.

What makes you think I'm not already doing it?

SDGE is pretty stocked with me, I'm using way less than my neighbors.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That's not ingenuity. That's illegally regulating under the guise of forced ingenuity and environmentalism to strategically lower the standard of living according to the United Nations playbook. It's why Newsom was put into office. Ingenuity stems from competition. Not from over-regulating. Regulation stifles ingenuity.

They don't want people driving. They don't want people flying. They don't want people with upward economic mobility. We are entering into their artificially induced post-human era and only the dumbest individuals are still blind to it. An absolute kindergarten level understanding of economics across the democratic voters. Either that or suicidal tendencies.
I'm totally against "they."