The Jordan Peterson Thread

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Just because he gets cited does not mean it is support ;).
These aren't editorial journals. Scientists don't "support" one another. They test hypotheses. They tear each other down as a profession. Being cited means you're worthy of mention. Chomsky's h-index is for linguistics since he shattered BF Skinner and revolutionized the whole deal. It's apolitical (as it can be). If your academic department ends in the word "studies" then it's a different corner of the world, a different story and, uh, have a merry day. Please don't train me.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Link? Something that has context would be good.
My point is that he is constantly demonized as if he is some kind of hardcore racist altrighter. It's very easy to find examples of racist comments from David Duke, Richard Spencer, etc. So if JP is of that ilk, where's the proof?
I don't know if he's racist, I do know that politically he's at minimum incoherent and possibly straight up lying. I don't care for self-help psychology so I have not comment except that IMHO all of it is fuckin stupid.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
These aren't editorial journals. Scientists don't "support" one another. They test hypotheses. They tear each other down as a profession. Being cited means you're worthy of mention. Chomsky's h-index is for linguistics since he shattered BF Skinner and revolutionized the whole deal. It's apolitical (as it can be). If your academic department ends in the word "studies" then it's a different corner of the world, a different story and, uh, have a merry day. Please don't train me.
You support ideas or challenge them or have those ideas you cite to support your own. It is not all about tearing down.

Chomsky was cited 11K plus for Manufacturing Consent, which is not about linguistics. He is academically known for more than his linguistic works.

Hard science is apolitical, :roflmao: , they always were the 'real' scientists.

Why don't you apply some hard science to Jordans work:socrazy:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't know if he's racist, I do know that politically he's at minimum incoherent and possibly straight up lying. I don't care for self-help psychology so I have not comment except that IMHO all of it is fuckin stupid.
That's fine. Calling something stupid, whether it's deserved or not, is a far cry from calling that person racist and trying to shut them down. Let alone engaging someone you disagree with on fair ground and challenging their actual ideas, which is what we should be encouraging.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
You support ideas or challenge them or have those ideas you cite to support your own. It is not all about tearing down.

Chomsky was cited 11K plus for Manufacturing Consent, which is not about linguistics. He is academically known for more than his linguistic works.

Hard science is apolitical, :roflmao: , they always were the 'real' scientists.

Why don't you apply some hard science to Jordans work:socrazy:
I guess I was overgeneralizing. If you're being cited in a peer reviewed actually scientific journal, then you have earned your place support or refute. You're right, it's not about tearing down. But it's not about supporting either. It's about arriving at some truth and consensus. It's competitive. "Manufacturing Consent" is pretty cool, I think their empirical part was comparing column inches in the NYT and WaPo between coverage of the conflicts in Cambodia and East Timor. Cambodia of course had more coverage because they were evil commies. Atrocities abounded. Anyway this doesn't make JP or NC more or less of a scholar. But you're right, citation is not some sort of approval or negation. It just is. I know a lot of academics and they are more careful about their citations than their sentences by far. In short: to say Peterson is not a legit academic is disingenuous. Some righties say the same about Chomsky. They are idiots.

Reactions: Woke AF

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Interesting guy and makes a lot of sometimes good, sometimes bad points. But his tendency towards hyperbole really gets in the way of whatever message he's trying to send. A guy like Jon Haidt makes somewhat similar points but infinitely less divisively and much more effectively.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
"I don’t think there is a great deal of unjust discrimination against women in comparison to the degree of unjust discrimination against men."

And please post a link where he said...*corporate HR departments are out to destroy capitalism.*
Of course that's not verbatim. Are you offended? You seem to have a lot personally invested in this guy.

"[the HR departments] become ethics departments. And people who take to themselves the right to determine the propriety of ethical conduct end up with a lot more power — especially if you cede it to them — than you think. And that’s happening at a very rapid rate.

The doctrines that are driving hiring decisions, for example — any emphasis, for example, on equity, or equality of outcome — it’s unbelievably dangerous. You don’t just pull that in and signal to society that you’re now acting virtuously without bringing in the whole pathological ideology."

Reactions: plasticbertrand

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
This is the incel/Daddy moment.

Fixed.

2:46 - "I'm not saying anything."

No sh|t.

Listen to how many times he back-pedals. I can only make it through about 5 minutes of this, it's nauseating and amazing that anyone takes this guy seriously. His rhetoric is juvenile at best.

Paging Autoprax. I gotta hear your take on the above.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
AKADEMIK

When asked in the debate to explain his beliefs about the Christian faith, Peterson said: "I would definitely describe myself as a religious man. There's no doubt about that."

"As a westerner I am conditioned in every cell from the Judaeo Christian world view. I live my life to the best of my ability as though God exists.

"That's the fundamental hallmark of belief, it is how you act, it's not what you say about what you think you think."

I'm sure God is stoked on him taunting women and transgenderz online.

• Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink