Is it possible to rip on a mid-length?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
what kind of waves do you ride this in? how's it go?
I had vintage equivalents that did whatever I wanted them to(even floaters).

I can only imagine what the 2020 version is capable of. It always tripped me out how the same board could work on a knee high day up to I shouldn’t have paddled out high.

Aside from pitching beach break kegs, I can’t see where you wouldn’t have fun on a board like this if you think surfing like MP,etc looks cool. Once it gets big enough, the ability to sit farther out and get in earlier/“roll in” as Ando calls it is magic. Plus no one knows you’re cheating lol.

Single fin short boards in general are wicked good at riding tubes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: chilly1

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
boards whose bulk makes them hard to duckdive can help maintain momentum
and resurface faster and quicker actually aiding the process.
My mantra as I prepared to paddle out on days where DDs were going to be essential was “they had no problems paddling out on these boards in 70s”

Also timing sets/lulls with a Casio and paddling out with dry hair isn’t rocket science, especially when you’re on a displacement hull.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010

I can only imagine what the 2020 version is capable of. It always tripped me out how the same board could work on a knee high day up to I shouldn’t have paddled out high.

Aside from pitching beach break kegs, I can’t see where you wouldn’t have fun on a board like this if you think surfing like MP,etc looks cool. Once it gets big enough, the ability to sit farther out and get in earlier/“roll in” as Ando calls it is magic.

Great feedback and (been a while but) been there! Thanks!!

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
As usual, Sam G thinks that the universe revolves around him. That everyone surfs like him and in the same waves as him. And that we all want the same from our surfing.
Been surfing for over 37+ years. shorter midlengths in the 6.6-6.8 range are great. esp for larger reefs or softer beachies when it's a little bigger and requires some paddling.

I tend to bring two boards with me. I get aggro on a shorter board for the first half of a session and switch over to a middy for the second half....helps with the paddling when my arms are spent.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Aside from pitching beach break kegs, I can’t see where you wouldn’t have fun on a board like this if you think surfing like MP,etc looks cool. Once it gets big enough, the ability to sit farther out and get in earlier/“roll in” as Ando calls it is magic. Plus no one knows you’re cheating lol.

You are just a poser.

I have that board at 6'7 and have had it for over a year
.:socrazy:

ps Parmy makes a great board btw:roflmao:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
You are just a poser.

what parmy u got woke af du?

i went through midlength phase issue was more of trim n glide with wave no gas pedal. parmy stubb vector was opposite, big gas pedal and can surge like a short boar but on a big a$$ mid length. i want to try andreini next

Havoc

May 23, 2016
Been surfing for over 37+ years. shorter midlengths in the 6.6-6.8 range are great. esp for larger reefs or softer beachies when it's a little bigger and requires some paddling.

I tend to bring two boards with me. I get aggro on a shorter board for the first half of a session and switch over to a middy for the second half....helps with the paddling when my arms are spent.
i did the same. gravel short boar and then stubb vector. fun as fk

Havoc

May 23, 2016
I have a lot to say but I'm just not inclined to do so at the moment. For the time being I'll leave this here. Some of the things being called midlengths are laughable. This reminds of of when you could take a thruster, put a swalow tail on it and pimp it out as a "fish."

best part of the vid was sage erickson smiling at me. rest just looked like bad shortboarding except the hollow barrols. looks fun tho. seem to have a lot of glide

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You are just a poser.

What’s your greatest surfing accomplishment(s)? I have a few I’m proud of. While I can’t claim to have paddled out every time, I paddled out while most did not and if they did they shouldn’t have.

I almost always got my waves at normally competitive spots. I didn’t care about quantity only quality. While I wasn’t the best surfer, I sat deep and usually got one of the waves of the day. Clean up sets were my friend.

Have you ever been out on a day so good it got a two page spread in Surfer? I don’t know exactly how big it was, just bigger than me. Last of the secret spots. Legit rock off to start. If you didn’t know where to paddle out you were not getting out even during a lull. Some non-locals somehow found it and I was in a good mood so I told them exactly what they needed to do. They didn’t paddle out.

I was in my Tom Curren “fish” phase so I was on a 5’10” Doc L. In addition to getting my share of bombs at a predominantly RH break (“nobody goes left”) I got a gnarly left that connected across the reef/through the sickest bowl section all the way to the buoy. A friend who went to Indo a lot said I was ripping. I don’t remember wiping out that day, I’m pretty sure if I did I’d remember it. I think the pros they were there to shoot were brothers.

Paddling in and getting out of the water was just as gnarly if not worse than the rock off. I always made sure my leash was off for both.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I love mid lengths and logs, and pretty much all alternative craft. They’re incredibly fun and everyone should ride them.

That said, no one is “ripping” on a mid length.

Reactions: Havoc and Chocki

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
what parmy u got woke af du?

i went through midlength phase issue was more of trim n glide with wave no gas pedal. parmy stubb vector was opposite, big gas pedal and can surge like a short boar but on a big a$$ mid length. i want to try andreini next
I have the V6 old school rails. I don't really think of it as a midlength. I told Dave I wanted a board that I could ride OBSF when my 7' Vaquero gets maxed out which is about hh w/ push. The parmy does much more than what I asked for. Can surf it as aggressive as I want, into turns, big drops, and on top to bottom waves. Depending on the swell and conditions I feel comfortable on it to around double overhead.

I have a couple Andrieni's. A Vaquero and Serena Pocket Rocket at 7'10. Both are solid boards. Can't go wrong getting a board from Marc. He is to good a shaper and cares what he makes you. The 7' Vaquero turns into a real bitch after 3 or 4 duckdives in a row. The 7'10 is far easier to duckdive.

IMG_1371.jpegScreen Shot 2020-08-07 at 7.27.22 PM.pngIMG_1373.jpeg

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
What’s your greatest surfing accomplishment(s)? I have a few I’m proud of. While I can’t claim to have paddled out every time, I paddled out while most did not and if they did they shouldn’t have.

I almost always got my waves at normally competitive spots. I didn’t care about quantity only quality. While I wasn’t the best surfer, I sat deep and usually got one of the waves of the day. Clean up sets were my friend.

Have you ever been out on a day so good it got a two page spread in Surfer? I don’t know exactly how big it was, just bigger than me. Last of the secret spots. Legit rock off to start. If you didn’t know where to paddle out you were not getting out even during a lull. Some non-locals somehow found it and I was in a good mood so I told them exactly what they needed to do. They didn’t paddle out.

I was in my Tom Curren “fish” phase so I was on a 5’10” Doc L. In addition to getting my share of bombs at a predominantly RH break (“nobody goes left”) I got a gnarly left that connected across the reef/through the sickest bowl section all the way to the buoy. A friend who went to Indo a lot said I was ripping. I don’t remember wiping out that day, I’m pretty sure if I did I’d remember it. I think the pros they were there to shoot were brothers.

Paddling in and getting out of the water was just as gnarly if not worse than the rock off. I always made sure my leash was off for both.
I have never accomplished anything while surfing. And if I do I hope that will be the day I stop.