Mental Health thread

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Modern humans are confused and distracted. Its a plight that will continue as screens, media, and unnecessary bs fill our lives and we lose our connection to the earth and amazing abundance of life it supports.

I am anxious to embark on a more fulfilling way of sustaining my family and I monetarily. My wife and I have a farming license and our small scale nursery business of native trees, rare fruits, and perennial edibles is really picking up. I am looking to compliment that business with another business that will focus on organic/permaculture land care and water treatment consulting. I am super excited to get this launched but still have to finish building my house so I am not dependent on steady income. It's tough because I get paid very well now but it just does not give me the day to day satisfaction I am looking for in life. I see my potential as much more and I have what I think is a workable plan. Just trying to maintain patience and persistence on my house construction (I do most of the work myself).

This video makes my eyes water and my heart swell. I am enthralled with indigenous cultures and fascinated by their ancient ways.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
This is just what the globalists want, to break your spirit and take away your spirituality so you worship/idolize "experts". God is found sitting eyes closed in silence, within.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Biggest issue is sleep for me. It always is, but it’s been worse with this bullshit
Sleep is my biggest challenge as well. I've gotten better as I've aged but I still struggle sometimes. When my sleep schedule gets out of whack everything else starts to slip and I become even more insufferable than normal.

I've probably mentioned it already on here but the book, "Why we sleep" is really good. Definitely one of the most interesting books I've read in the past few years. It definitely helped me to sleep better at least for a while. I think it helps to understand a little about what sleep is, why we need it and some of the things we can do to prioritize it. For me I think I just need to give myself permission to sleep more when I'm tired, whether it's going to bed earlier, sleeping in later or just napping when I have the chance. My life is so much better when I'm well rested. That said, just like any form of self care, it's an ongoing struggle.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
jocko's tribute letter to seth stone
seth stone was one of two team leaders in task force bruiser at ramadi which became a point source for the movie american sniper about chris kyle another team member. seth perished in a skydiving accident years ago.

start at the 6 minute mark when he talks about surfing and waves
it's a good speech

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Those nights when your mind is racing and you can't sleep?

1595009856206.png

You could also try melatonin but that's why I needed the above. Sh*t backfired and I was awake for 3 out of 4 days. The only reason I slept Day 2 was because I hiked 20+ miles the day before on zero sleep. Then next two days, no sleep. Sucked.

Doc got me on track with the above but the good sh*t.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hope everyone is having a good day today and having a positive outlook on the future
how About using music to change your mood?
ive got different playlists for different mindsets
mood is sometimes effected by music
but its possible that doesn’t work past a certain point, and I haven’t hit that point yet

some people find meditation really helpful in mood stabilization

i like the mark twainism I have in my signature
1595011237832.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My nephews and nieces are all grown now but they always confront me and say, "You used to twist our arms and throw us on the ground!"

Which is true.

But in their mind it's framed as abuse now.

They used to come up to me and hold out their wrist and say, "You can't get me."

Oh, yes I can.

I joke that when I am on my deathbed, surrounded by the loving extended family, I'll ask for a bit of water, and in unison, the now adult nieces and nephews will hold a glass just out of reach and say, "Remember that time at Pinnacles/Death Valley/King Canyon/Yosemite/Mt Lassen/Surprise Valley/ the opal mine/Telescope Peak/etc., and I asked for some water and you said, 'No, we have to ration it,' well, payback time!"

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

View attachment 94612

You could also try melatonin but that's why I needed the above. Sh*t backfired and I was awake for 3 out of 4 days. The only reason I slept Day 2 was because I hiked 20+ miles the day before on zero sleep. Then next two days, no sleep. Sucked.

I have been eating a sweet potato and drinking a glass of milk. Not as much fun, but it really helps me get into a truly restorative deep sleep like nothing else.

Reactions: Kento

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site

View attachment 94612

on THAT note...you ever accidentally had a little too much dayquil with intentionally excessive alcohol? AMAZING.

until it feels like your heart is goign to blow through your chest..but until then...AMAZING!

• Love
Reactions: Kento

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Weed gives me anxiety and fcks my sleep up like nothing else. It's a shame, I used to love the stuff. Although it never really sedated me like it does to some people.

Alcohol sort of helps me fall asleep but I don't feel as well rested when I awake.

The only drug I still partake in is caffeine and even that I try to limit to the morning unless I am travelling and need it to stay alert behind the wheel or something. Caffeine feels like it has short lived effects but in reality it takes about 10 hours to leave your system so if you are having trouble sleeping, don't ingest caffeine any time after noon. Here's why:

"The stimulant effect of coffee comes largely from the way it acts on the adenosine receptors in the neural membrane. Adenosine is a central nervous system neuromodulator that has specific receptors. When adenosine binds to its receptors, neural activity slows down, and you feel sleepy. Adenosine thus facilitates sleep and dilates the blood vessels, probably to ensure good oxygenation during sleepCaffeine acts as an adenosine-receptor antagonist. This means that it binds to these same receptors, but without reducing neural activity. Fewer receptors are thus available to the natural “braking” action of adenosine, and neural activity therefore speeds up."

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I can understand burning at 10 and not being able to fall asleep at midnight.

If I prebaked a couple Oregon surfs, that sub-60 water, some current, wearing some sets....then no post-surf bake?

There's dinosaurs in the ground that wouldn't sleep as well as I would.

Reactions: Kento and Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah i cut my coffee off by noon, maybe 2 pm occasionally. The early days of the lock down, when i was working 16 hours a day dismantling everything i had on the books for 2020, i was a over-caffeinated mess. had to dial it back a bit

And yeah cannabis for me is kind of a mixed bag. i enjoy it sometimes because it just makes my brain wander off in whatever direction it wants, an often-welcome distraction these days, but it's not really an anxiety treatment. It doesn't make me paranoid or anything too extreme, but it can certainly make me far antsier than i would like. Even the pure Indica flowers and oils. It's good for getting goofy when others around me are drinking, it's good for binge watching good shows or movies. it is NOT an effective anxiety treatment during the work day, by any means

And since I'm putting it all out there, i've been on the psilocybin micro dosing bandwagon, and i think that may be the ticket. Clarity, less anxiety, and FFS i'm taking little droplets of mushroom juice! how rad is that?

Last edited: