Berkeley city council wants to prohibit police from making traffic stops.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I l just explained how and fairly simply at that. Saying I can’t doesn’t make it so.

prevent it from the first point of contact and it doesn’t happen at all. But you need to have an educated officer for that to be possible. But apparently that’s too high of a bar.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
A big problem from top to bottom with our justice system is the refusal to ever admit a mistake, cops would rather lock up someone wrongly than admit being wrong.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
A big problem from top to bottom with our justice system is the refusal to ever admit a mistake, cops would rather lock up someone wrongly than admit being wrong.
Firstly, that's what the courts are for. To weigh the facts being alleged against the defense. Or (more commonly) to sign off on the plea bargain to the lesser offense that the defendant agreed to - which means many of the convicts are actually guilty of much more serious crimes but took the easy out.

Secondly, the cops (and the DAs and the judges and the juries) usually aren't wrong. Way more guilty people get away with their crimes than get wrongfully convicted. Which is exactly the way it should be.

Cops don't convict anyone.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
What does "understanding the law" have to do with a cop misquoting a witness or making some other investigative error? They're two separate areas of competency.

Let's say it was a lawyer doing the investigation and screwing it exactly the same way the cop did. Did the lawyer's failure occur as a result of them "not understanding the law" or did it occur because they screwed up their investigation?

Moreover and while we're at it, how many wrongful convictions do you think are the result of a witness making a mistake or telling a lie? The cops operated competently and in good faith but the witness lied on the stand about whether the gang bang her dad caught her at was consensual?

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You’re right, cops don’t need to understand the law.

clown world.
Again, not what I said. Not what I meant.

This is no way to have a discussion.

How about this: If we're going to increase police training by x%, how about we allocate the additional hours first where it will do the most good and be of the most effect? And then if after the more significant deficiencies are handled there are any hours left over for filler content THEN we throw those at #8 on the list (law school for cops)

Last edited:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
So your response to prioritizing the limited available public resources on the training is a solid "no", then.

LA Sheriff Dept is reportedly down by 1000 deputies, but you're going to add to their recruiting problems by requiring a legal education which will further reduce their applicant pool.

Even though "criminal law" isn't among the top-5 complaints people have about police conduct and performance.

That's a strong move, amigo. 26 counties in California have a population of less than 200,000. As in, not enough tax base to support the kind of training or salaries that would compete with other employers with comparable qualifications requirements.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
What would you consider to be the top-5 complaints that people (as in, not you) have about police conduct and performance?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What would you consider to be the top-5 complaints that people (as in, not you) have about police conduct and performance?
1. They bought the last goddamn Apple Fritter!
2. They pulled me over instead of that guy.
3. They harassed my kids and made them cry for (insert harmless activity)
4. They shot that guy in the back. Not right.
5. They smashed my phone for filming 1 through 4.

BONUS: My dog is pregnant.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Not for police brutality but for getting the criminals before they commit the crime....I don't care what color or race.....get the bad guys
By harassing the law abiding citizen for small stuff?

What are you even blabbering about?

Who here isn't for catching criminals?

@r32 please bring back the :foreheadslap: emo

Thancc

• Haha
Reactions: laidback

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
By harassing the law abiding citizen for small stuff?

What are you even blabbering about?

Who here isn't for catching criminals?

@r32 please bring back the :foreheadslap: emo

Thancc
You should put together a list of the “small stuff” that leo don’t need to bother with. That would be a good starting point.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD