*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
"...a way to actually refine the position you agree with by intentionally poking holes in it. As rational beings, I feel it's our moral duty to arrive at the strongest arguments toward truth (whatever that means). So the purpose isn't just to argue, or to get the other sides views more representation. It's a refinement process. We should have good reasons for believing what we do, not shitty reasons. Sometimes, even the commonly held bastions of "common sense" are founded on the bedrock of nonsense, which deserves to be questioned.
I view devils advocates as consistency scanners. Even if I agree with your conclusion, I disagree with your process, and so I'll argue the opposite view using your process, to hopefully highlight any weak links in the argument.
Playing the devil's advocate isn't about advocating a view you disagree with, it's about being mischievous by arguing against something you somewhat support.
How is any of this wrong? Why do I have to explain that I agree with your conclusion to point out that your reasoning is flawed? I'd almost argue the opposite here: it's worse to reveal you agree with the conclusion, because you're telling the person they should only believe what you believe in the way that you see it. It's presumptuous.
A better approach is to simply point out the flaws, regardless of your view. The difference between the devil's advocate and an opposing view point is the devil's advocate wants you to maintain your conclusion, whereas the opposing side wants you to change your conclusion.
People often misinterpret wanting to change your reasoning as also changing your conclusion, and I think this is mostly due to a necessary link between reasoning →conclusion. If you break their reasoning, then they may fear their conclusion can change. And maybe it will! That's what having an open mind is about.
I think this is where your misunderstanding is coming from. You're confusing the people who argue for you to change your conclusions (not devil's advocates) with those who want to change your reasoning (devil's advocates)." - some lady on some website

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
I think we're missing a key piece of info here....to make a statement such as "the percentage of the population who are "infected" is going up.....which this implies....
We need to know the number tested as well....

Good example of using a graph to imply something....but you don't have all the necessary data.

Thanks for nothing....

Also...I have a question that's going to be relevant in the future....if they push a vaccine for CV.
Is the current mask hysteria going to morf into Vaxx hysteria....and shaming?
I mean.....if I don't want someone to jab a needle into my arm that full of who knows what....are you going to think I'm a bad person who has no compassion for others....for refusing the Vaxx? Think about how we think of flu shots.....it's always be a choice....to protect myself.....the narrative has never been about protecting others. Me thinks that's about to change.....here's one that good for you....and here's one that's good for protecting others. Really?

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Here's a gem.

A friend at work on night shift tested positive 48 hours ago withing an hour of completing his 3rd shift in a row.

Management is aware because he informed them he was positive.

Staff has still not been notified.

Keep in mind we often work shoulder to shoulder.

So I contacted management - asked about when staff will be receiving official notice in regards to one of us testing positive.

The response was "Who tested positive? We don't know anything about that."

My cousin just found out his neighbor in the condo across the hall was positive about a month ago. They share entrances, and common areas. Would be good to know. I live in a building with 7 other units 4 of them occupied by elderly couples. I fully plan to tell them and do everything I can to keep my distance if I get it.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
A trip thought the Central Valley yesterday showed Mexicans don't believe in masks; they must all love Trump.

Now at a Hampton Inn in Northern CA right now.

A nice, newer one.

There's a sign on the door that says face covering are mandated indoors in CA.

There's a huge party of going on full of people in their 50s+ that look like they have the wear of alcohol, cigarettes, and tooth decay on their face. It's taking place in a meeting room. No masks.

The caterers are bringing in food, no masks.

The girl at the front desk is wearing a mask 50% of the time.

There's also a bunch of security guards from the same company staying here. 9/10 of them obese, most of them over 250lbs. No masks.
you're living in your worst nightmare, casa!

• Haha
Reactions: rts265 and $kully

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
The usual predictable propaganda from a Hawaii online "news" outlet.

US bets on small, untested company to deliver COVID vaccine

The AP writers using the Horror film style for their opening line.

"...Vats... of Vaccine..." and "...jabbing...the solution...into the arms..."

So, how many of you here are going to line up and be the first to get your arms jabbed
when they show up with the vats of vaccine?

You believe them? Really? You going to let them put their "solution" in you?

This is where they are taking it. The question is are "with" them?

.....I am goingoutside now.....your biggest fear is,that...you finally realize that....you have been lied to...the whole time...

• Haha
Reactions: silentbutdeadly

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County

So, how many of you here are going to line up and be the first to get your arms jabbed

.....I am goingoutside now.....your biggest fear is,that...you finally realize that....you have been lied to...the whole time...
And how do I know you aren't lying. You're just an anonymous poster with no credentials

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Worst nightmare, no.

More like extremely amused.

Walmart today was a trip!
reading your post made my blood pressure rise

walmart in mojave/ridgecrest was....interesting

it seems that community standards very WIDLY around the southwest

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

Is that

Are you sleeping with jonahbrah and/or Bohter? Asking for a friend.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
yeah this isn’t gonna end well
Florida has one of the largest populations of seniors in the country and ranks 47th in the country for percentage of the populace without health insurance. What could go wrong?

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
its repulsive and dangerous. and sad. i'm not a shamer by nature, but the deniers are fucking disastrous people.
Ok perch.

What about the outspoken shamers still working who are telling everyone with no income and kids to feed to stay the fark inside?? Are we going to keep 25 million people unemployed indefinitely?

Those great people??

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What about the outspoken shamers still working who are telling everyone with no income and kids to feed to stay the fark inside?? Are we going to keep 25 million people unemployed indefinitely?
Those people were the initial wave of idiots.

Now we're in the "second wave" of idiots: The people who have refused to wear masks and refused to engage in some level of social distancing.

They could quite likely end up f*cking us just as bad - bankrupting the already strained healthcare system and driving public opinion and politicians toward a new shutdown.

Reactions: Havoc

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Those people were the initial wave of idiots.

Now we're in the "second wave" of idiots: The people who have refused to wear masks and refused to engage in some level of social distancing.

They could quite likely end up f*cking us just as bad - bankrupting the already strained healthcare system and driving public opinion and politicians toward a new shutdown.
E5B53278-189A-4799-ACB8-D774DFBAC3AA.jpeg

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Who cares about the new cases count?!
For this to mean anything we need to know the number of folks tested....so you can see the % of positives over time....
Again....reporting new cases is meaningless.....
% of positives (positive test results divided by the number tested) over time might tell you something...
But then there's the test uncertainty with it's high false positive tendency....

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Who cares about the new cases count?!
For this to mean anything we need to know the number of folks tested....so you can see the % of positives over time....
Again....reporting new cases is meaningless.....
% of positives (positive test results divided by the number tested) over time might tell you something...
But then there's the test uncertainty with it's high false positive tendency....
My dear Bohter,
Those of us that took mathematics in school understand the data, and are very concerned.

Those that didn't study mathematics have their heads burried in the flat earth.