Twinzer feedback?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Appreciate the vid. Saw that review when it first came out last year.
He eventually surfed well on it. Took him a good number of waves to figure it out. And, take note that it wasn't on Salas' favorite list, lol.

Personally I think its a design that can be fun if you want a different feel. But not my cup of tea, too squirrelly, twitchy and ultra sensitive. Life's too short, don't want to blow waves trying to make something work. I want something reliable and predictable when i surf. Just giving my feedback to OP, surf what you want.
Appreciate the feedback! Sometimes its a different perspective … when I was working a regular job 40+ hours a week and getting limited opportunities to surf each week or unable to surf when conditions were optimum … then I would absolutely agree with your statement. I wanted to get the most out of each session I could. Now - that i'm retired and surf as much as I want - its about keeping things fresh, expanding/improving my skills, getting barreled and enjoying being in the water. As I mentioned been dabbling with twins and twins + trailers - and have come to love the speed, looseness and the different lines you draw out on a wave face. From what I've read the twinzer setup - even though 4 fins still feels more like a twin versus a quad. Of course - the gamble is with an unfamiliar setup with a new custom board - but it feels low risk - if the twinzer setup turns out to be not for me - I can remove the canards and run as a twin which is what I originally intended to do.

One thing I can add - I consider myself in the learning curve of becoming proficient on a twin … definitely feel like I am improving but one thing I've noticed is I surf a lot better on them when there is some energy behind the waves and/or some steepness in the face - whether big or small conditions. I think it has to do with being easier to put them on a rail - when the conditions are weak or mushy - to me they feel like they ride flatter and can feel squirrely especially when going straight over flat sections.

Side note - love the look of the boards being posted up - Barry posted up a pic of one he did last night on Instagram - frothing to ride one! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki and Win win

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
" I consider myself in the learning curve of becoming proficient on a twin …"

They can be as easy to ride as a Thruster , same with 4 fins

Easy and enabling is a main design objective .
Agree with GG. What I meant with proficient is ripping or surfing to a level where I believe i'm ripping LOL! I have thrusters and I've got nothing against them but learning how to surf a twin or a single (unfortunately snapped my Barry Snyder - 6-8" single fin in half a couple weeks ago) has been fun. And by learning to surf I mean - surf them properly versus trying to ride them as a thruster. To be honest the way they surf and lines drawn - remind me a lot of snowboarding or snowboarding in powder- which is not a bad thing. The challenge is jumping from one to another from one day to the next. Right now i'm trying to re-program myself to drive off my back foot after getting accustomed to riding a wide-point-forward single fin and driving off my front foot.

Reactions: Chocki and retodd

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
^ twinzer will allow you to flow easier from turn to turn not requiring you to pump like most thrusters
they are very friendly if you have a more forward stance imo
I'm a back foot driver I think that's why I prefer a slightly more reward fin position
I have a lot of confidence in mine in powerful/hollow waves
made a couple nice backside turns this morning on my 6-2 in punchie beach break :cool:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
^ twinzer will allow you to flow easier from turn to turn not requiring you to pump like most thrusters
I'm a back foot driver I think that's why I prefer a slightly more reward fin position
made a couple nice backside turns this morning on my 6-2 in punchie beach break :cool:
If you're n.4.s. on IG, holy fark, that gray twinzer you posted today is sexy. I may have to have my guy rip that off...

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Sounds good! One of things that I've grown to like about twins/singles versus thruster is surfing the wave letting the board do the work - its a different feel and can be addicting.

Reactions: Chocki

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Stu uses a slightly less rail oriented fin position
His fins were a little bit small for me @8 1/2" if I remember correctly
I like twinzers with 4 channels(deep)
But definitely agree with his comment, lot of different ways to build a twinzer(like any other board)
I think most of those comments are from people that tried one years ago or have never really put in any time with them

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks!
It's my first twinzer, and first custom from Stu. Only had one mediocre session (small, weak surf) on it yet and had a hard time figuring it out. Hopefully we'll finally have some waves later this week so I can really try it out.
Yeah - looking at the clip of the board again … to me that board looks like it is meant for good waves with some energy behind it. I bet it would go well at the reef break down here- long open faced walls where you can do some big carves at speed. Probably kills it at a good point break as well.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Nice! Another one that looks meant for good waves. In the comments - he's talking about wanting a step-down but it looks like it could handle HH-OH waves no problem.
yeah, I’m just envisioning how fun that thing would be on overhead slopey (not hollow) winter points around here

Reactions: flyinraptr
Jan 30, 2014
Santa Cruz Mtns
+1

Same toe. Wil mentioned adjusting overlap of the canard. I like mine at 0 to 0.5" gap. He said bigger gap for bigger waves (spreading the fin cluster).

canards:
top row: Herb Spitzer supercharger, C5 canard, Larry Mabile;
mid: RFC Jobson, Fins U Jobson, Von Sol;
bottom: small, large bonzer
How did you like the supercharger?

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
Here's this thread, I was wondering where it was.

Picked this blade up off C-list, the ad was for some other board, but had a random shot of this in it and I swooped on it. 6'9", rode it in some chest high waves and it feels great so far. Want to get it into some juice.