*** Official Fin Thread ***

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Been using Machado Keel fins in my Xanadu Wave Rocket Fish. Felt good in the medium/bigger stuff but weak/small days a bit too stiff. So I picked up some Rasta Keel fins to switch to on small days which definitely feel faster out the gates but than lack drive when pumping further down the line and feel too loose. They are a medium template with v2 foil versus the large Machado/flat foil. I'm around 180lbs. Anybody into keels and have a recommendation for a set that might fall somewhere in between I should try? Board has boxes for futures. Thanks

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have an original set of the Fins Unlimited machado keels but I’ve only used them in a PU GoFish (super fun board btw). They work fine, no reason to swap. My other keels are all glass-ons. People seem to like Piggyback Keels. I love the quad version in a couple different quad fish, as a middle ground between split keels and more upright quads. Good luck.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
So looks like Xanadu makes a set for his boards. Shot them an email to see how i can get my hands on a set to try. Dont see them available anywhere online. If anybody happens to have a set laying around they want to sell, let me know.

Attachments

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
My sister ordered me a set of Large FCS H4 fins. I never asked for them but I’ll give them a try. Waves are suppose to get bigger Tuesday/Wednesday but I’d rather try entirely new fins on a head high day first.

Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, he's been raving about it non stop. Jim makes killer stuff, a total craftsman, I gotta see if Andrew can get me a set, haha.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Put the Futures Xanadu fins in my Xank today. First time riding them. (Have normally been riding medium DHDs) Waves didn't really cooperate long enough for me to get a really good feel. But initial observations:

The fin is very lively

For whatever reason I was feeling drive in places during the ride I wouldn't expect it compared to my usual fin. For instance, more drivey off the pop-up as the board wanted to take a slightly different line, then not particularly drivey or slow pumping across the face, then sudden drive through the bottom turn that felt like it was coming from the tip of the fin. Also seemed to pick up speed out of nowhere when trying to beat sections of whitewater.

In all it seemed unpredicatable not due to lack of control but due to unpredictable bursts of speed. It felt like a fin I would need to actually learn how to ride.

IMG-1467.jpg

A closer look post session shows the side fins are not completely flat, they are instead curved. No inner foil.

IMG-1468.jpg

Last edited:

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Anyone try these?

So i have finally had a few sessions on these and really like them. When i bought them, i had a feeling i was going to like the side fins with a different center fin since it is a little bigger and more upright than i typically like in a center fin and that was mostly the case. I initially tried them as is and really liked the balance they have--good speed, enough drive combined with plenty of release through turns. There were a few times they were unpredictable and could get a little twitchy coming off the bottom. After a couple sessions, i switched out the center fin for a Roberts medium which is a little smaller but has more rake and it settled the twitchiness down. I think the somewhat upright sides with a more raked center, for me, is really good. The board i use them in is a Parmy Malolo which has a double wing in the tail and finishes off fairly narrow after the second wing. I was having a hard time dialing the fins in for this board. i tried the Roberts Medium set and medium JJFs, but i could tell it wanted bigger side fins and a smaller center. This set up really changed the board and it's now one of my favs. Also, take all of this with a grain of salt since i'm not much of an archer, but these arrows definitely took that board and lit it up for me.