*** Official Fin Thread ***

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Caught this on one of the Pipe edits from the late April run of swell they had. Looks like Derek Ho (?) with a tight cluster on his quad. What do y’all think? Griff—do you know the background on this board and fin set up?
7549599A-BC3E-4CDE-836B-278DE2315262.jpeg
wish we could see what fins he’s running.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Look like the paddle quads ... They have the blk base

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Look like the paddle quads ... They have the blk base

zit alert:p
what the tow foil?

Reactions: ghostshaper

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I've always liked a smaller center fin in my HPSB. Looking to experiment, but without going too far off the reservation.

I'm wondering what a good rule of thumb is for the difference in surface area between a side fin and smaller center. Is >2"+ getting too close to twin + trailer territory? Should I not even bother?

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've always liked a smaller center fin in my HPSB. Looking to experiment, but without going too far off the reservation.

I'm wondering what a good rule of thumb is for the difference in surface area between a side fin and smaller center. Is >2"+ getting too close to twin + trailer territory? Should I not even bother?
No rules really. Just whatever feels good to you in turns.

I tend to go with smaller and smaller center fins as the tail gets narrower.

Fat tailed Simmons, I use 3 equal sized fins.

Regular hpsb, I'm using medium front fins with a small center fin.

Rounded pin tail, Im using medium fronts with an extra small center fin.

Dec 14, 2019
Looking for advice. I haven't gone back and read all 50+ pages, so sorry if this has been covered. I'm a 54 year old who surfs 3 or 4 times a week, I can surf, but I do not rip. I'm 5'10", 200lbs. I ride a new custom 6'6" egg type board, 21.25" wide, 3" thick. It's alot of board, but I'm ok with that. Been surfing since I was 16, so it is what it is at this point. Started riding this board as a quad, because I had an egg before that I loved as a quad, but I like this one better as a thruster. I have a set of large FCS1 ARCs in there, but those are just the compatible set I had laying around. My question is: I kind of settled on the FCS2 performer PC large set, but I can't make heads or tails from the website. They all sound like what I want. Anybody have experience with these, or have better ideas or better alternative brands? New guy here. Thanks.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm no fin guru like ReTodd, but in my experience, the Performer is a good, neutral, all-around template, that doesn't "get in the way" of the board design. It should be more raked than the (upright) Reactors, but not as much as your ARCs, (which are basically Merricks, so more like Carvers). One thing you probably like about your ARCs if the slightly smaller trailing fin. So might be worth playing around with a smaller center fin if you do get the Performers set.
IMHO, Tyler Warren has a great fin template for an egg type board- through True Ames, and maybe also Captain Fin- which I like as a quad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barney Von Hodadski

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Has anyone used the mandala quad fins (medium)? They look like they are a bit upright so I would expect them to be loose.

Dec 14, 2019
With most eggs I like the thruster set up better .

Since you have fcs I say get in touch with the ultimate fin guru Greg Griffin and peepare for Eggselence

His fins take on the best of the k2.1 pivot while having drive like the Merrick

http://instagr.am/p/BtWBXUKnv1i/
Thanks for the feedback, both of you. As a guy with aging reflexes, diminishing popup efficiency, and fairly weak heelside turns, I'm always looking for gear to fix my game. I like the sound of an upright fin helping me do tighter pivoty turns, but what I love is to shove and feel my fins shove back. I had a set of medium blackstix thinking the smaller size would give me a looser feel, but it just felt like the fins were hardly even there. Thanks for the Greg Griffin recommendation, that description of his fins sounds perfect. I'm interested Greg.

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas

The Captain Fin Dane fins have a center fin that is proportionally much smaller than the sides. AM template has a smaller center fin too. Generally, the wider the tail, the larger the fins. You don't have a wide tail thruster board, so the medium AMs or Danes would go good in your Chem boards.