XTR

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Thanks guys. Yeah, it was either paint , or do yard work when I had the free time. Paint I used should be board friendly, and the finish was pretty durable. Even survived wax removal with a plastic scraper without a scratch. If you scuff the bottom of the ocean with it, it may get scuffed up a little.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm too lazy to take photos, but most of my boards have a vintage car patina look. I buy matte black spray paint then spray it onto a rag and rub the rag vertically nose to tail on the board. Kinda abstract matte patina look.

Reactions: Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'm too lazy to take photos, but most of my boards have a vintage car patina look. I buy matte black spray paint then spray it onto a rag and rub the rag vertically nose to tail on the board. Kinda abstract matte patina look.
I did this, but with a sponge.

Totally fucked it right up, as the rattle can was quickdry, so all that ended up happening, was that it was blotches with bits of sponge breaking off and sticking in the paint.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Part number for the clear coat is Duplicolor HWP106

Question for you XTR aficionados...My only XTR build is a 5'9 Ghost that is stringered in 8C, Flex value of 2. If I were to order a Roberts Brofish, 5'2,me being 5'7 and 150lbs, would 8C with a SL-Blue center (NOT CLK), be the way to go? I don't like boards that are too light, so I don't think I want the 8c Team, just more of a question on the blue stringerless.

Attachments

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Getting a Pyzel Astro Pop in Shey's recommended Parallel Carbon (8.C). I don't love the aesthetics of the two vertical bands and Shey said there is an alternative with their SL-C with the top and bottom elongated diamond-shaped carbon strips, but he said the flex isn't as good as the PC. Since I'll be spending a pretty penny on my first XTR, I want to get what they recommend. I was considering a really dark grey to minimize/blend with the bands since I wanted color anyway to hide any future yellowing.

I haven't seen any really dark XTR's, numerous medium grey ones, but nothing black or approaching black. I know they have the thermo-vents, but are they more susceptible to delamination than other epoxy constructions? The board wouldn't get too much sun exposure since I predominately surf close to my place which is about a five minute walk.

Last edited:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Getting a Pyzel Astro Pop Shey's recommended Parallel Carbon in 8.C. I don't love the aesthetics of the two vertical bands and Shey said there is an alternative with their SL-C with the top and bottom elongated diamond-shaped carbon strips, but he said the flex isn't as good as the PC. Since I'll be spending a pretty penny on my first XTR, I want to get what they recommend. I was considering a really dark grey to minimize/blend with the bands since I wanted color anyway to hide any future yellowing.

I haven't seen any really dark XTR's, numerous medium grey ones, but nothing black or approaching black. I know they have the thermo-vents, but are they more susceptible to delamination than other epoxy constructions? The board wouldn't get too much sun exposure since I predominately surf close to my place which is about a five minute walk.
They have it pretty dialed as I thought the latest iteration, 8.x had a lifetime delam warranty

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Getting a Pyzel Astro Pop Shey's recommended Parallel Carbon in 8.C. I don't love the aesthetics of the two vertical bands and Shey said there is an alternative with their SL-C with the top and bottom elongated diamond-shaped carbon strips, but he said the flex isn't as good as the PC. Since I'll be spending a pretty penny on my first XTR, I want to get what they recommend. I was considering a really dark grey to minimize/blend with the bands since I wanted color anyway to hide any future yellowing.

I think I asked shey about getting a black one about a year ago and he wasn't into it.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
My darker gray one from them is purple. I was told it would settle and look more gray later. Nope, definitely still purple after lots of use in the sun. I've learned to embrace it and call it the flying purple people eater.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My darker gray one from them is purple. I was told it would settle and look more gray later. Nope, definitely still purple after lots of use in the sun. I've learned to embrace it and call it the flying purple people eater.
That’s how my Rusty EPS was. It could kind of pass for grey indoors, but was definitely purple in the sun. I asked for and gave them the Pantone dark gray color I wanted which did not resemble any type of purple.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
That’s how my Rusty EPS was. It could kind of pass for grey indoors, but was definitely purple in the sun. I asked for and gave them the Pantone dark gray color I wanted which did not resemble any type of purple.
Same thing here. It teases when its inside. Friends green was a good bit off on his also. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say coloring is not their strength. Really like the construction though so i keep going back.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I wish I was able to demo the same model in XTR's different constructions (stringered, SL-C, Parallel Carbon). I sort of doubt I'll feel too much flex difference in the waves I plan on riding the Astro Pop in (short interval beachbreak under chest high). I'm afraid I'll go down this path of trying to mask the parallel carbon and will end up with a dual striped purple board. The SL-C they're not advertising with the single strip top and bottom doesn't bug me and I'd be open to other colors.

Reactions: JDJ

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I've only had XTR with a stringer. It does feel stiff but it's not really a problem to me. I'm heavier than most surfers so it hasn't bothered me.

I have a stringerless Fever in Flexbar tech and it does feel good in good waves. The only problem is it sometimes borders on unpredictable in less than ideal conditions because of the flex. I'm hesitant to order another stringerless board without trying it out.

Reactions: JDJ and ChaseTMP

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've had about 10 boards from them over the years but only the standard stringered ones. Seems like some guys like the new flex options. I might give it a shot at some point. I was talking to Proctor recently to get an XTR board on one of his shapes but the process isn't setup yet with him and Javier. So i got put on a list to be notified when that process gets finalized.

One other thing i was gonna say....not sure if you ever check out XTR's instagram, but they have a good amount of pics with different colors/constructions that might help you narrow down what your looking for and give you a better idea on color stuff. https://www.instagram.com/xtrsurfboards/

Reactions: JDJ and ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I've had about 10 boards from them over the years but only the standard stringered ones. Seems like some guys like the new flex options. I might give it a shot at some point. I was talking to Proctor recently to get an XTR board on one of his shapes but the process isn't setup yet with him and Javier. So i got put on a list to be notified when that process gets finalized.

One other thing i was gonna say....not sure if you ever check out XTR's instagram, but they have a good amount of pics with different colors/constructions that might help you narrow down what your looking for and give you a better idea on color stuff. https://www.instagram.com/xtrsurfboards/
Thanks, yeah that’s where I noticed there weren’t any dark charcoal or black boards.

Reactions: trifish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Here's a grey one I saw for sale locally. Not bad

Also, For the SL-C, I think Shey was referring to the blue stripe Stringerless build with some carbon down the mid of the deck. It's not on their menu, and this was a stock board, but I think it's popular for Japan, and Tomo used to get his personal XTRs like that. At 175-180 lbs, I've never had an issue with buckling... although all my XTRs are 5'5-5'9. I like the way this looks better than the red stripe on the SL-CK recommended for my weight. I have 2 stringered Tomos from Havoc, and I wish they were stringerless. I miss that liveliness.
Apologies for repeating this from previous post.
IMG_1623.jpegIMG_1611.jpeg

Last edited: