Is it possible to rip on a mid-length?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
lol!

All this angst over defining the length of our toys. We really need to get this sh!t in a box. The categories MUST be respected! I name ALL my favorite toys.

I still crack up over "shortboard." Which used to mean, a board that is short. That ceased a number of years ago. Now a guy can roll up at his home break and pull out his 5'4" grovelor and have his friends go:

"How come you aren't riding your shortboard? It's good enough for a shortboard out there."

"It is? OK, that's cool. I have the 5'10" in the car. I'll swap my 5'4" for the 5'10". Good thing I brought a shortboard."

So if short doesn't mean short, why should mid length mean mid length?

We need a new set of names for "mid length."

"Fvck Wanna be Pros Lengths"
"It still turns length."
"Won't fit in my Porsche length."
"Rounder Tallish length."
"Pandemic Length."

I don't know, get creative. Give me something...

:mad:

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
those of you who have em, how does one properly size these twin fin midlengths?

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
those of you who have em, how does one properly size these twin fin midlengths?
I'm far from an expert but I went with a similar length to my step up. I'm 6-3 tall and went 6-8 on my first one, so 5 inches over my height. The width is 19.5 which is similar to my normal (*trigger warning GWS*) "shortboard". Thickness is about the same and vol. is I'm guessing 4-5L higher than what i'd ride for a thruster. I think you could size these in many different ways, depending on what you're trying to achieve. As curious as I am to ride a bigger one like 7-0+ I'm glad I kept it kind fairly reasonable and sort of split the difference between what I usually ride and a full on cheater board. The lower rocker and added length means it paddles super well but it's not a total tanker that I can't turn or duckdive. Because it is a twin it feels fast and loose for how big it is. I don't think I would get a board like this as a single or 2+1 at this point. I like twins too much.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I'm far from an expert but I went with a similar length to my step up. I'm 6-3 tall and went 6-8 on my first one, so 5 inches over my height. The width is 19.5 which is similar to my normal (*trigger warning GWS*) "shortboard". Thickness is about the same and vol. is I'm guessing 4-5L higher than what i'd ride for a thruster. I think you could size these in many different ways, depending on what you're trying to achieve. As curious as I am to ride a bigger one like 7-0+ I'm glad I kept it kind fairly reasonable and sort of split the difference between what I usually ride and a full on cheater board. The lower rocker and added length means it paddles super well but it's not a total tanker that I can't turn or duckdive. Because it is a twin it feels fast and loose for how big it is. I don't think I would get a board like this as a single or 2+1 at this point. I like twins too much.
That Townsend model looks very nice! I don't see it on the Album website, maybe it morphed into the Twinsman? Revolving a model like this with standard equipment is certainly more of a seamless transition that to a 2+1 mid length ish set up. You had the Asym version previous to your pin, are you off that?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That Townsend model looks very nice! I don't see it on the Album website, maybe it morphed into the Twinsman? Revolving a model like this with standard equipment is certainly more of a seamless transition that to a 2+1 mid length ish set up. You had the Asym version previous to your pin, are you off that?
I still see it on the site under board models. Third from right. Those long Twinsman he just put up for sale look a lot like the Townsend but I think nose is narrower and they appear to have more of a flat deck. Only 2.44 thick.

I have been riding the newer 6-6" XTR symmetrical Townsend lately because around here I surf lots of lefts and I like the way it goes on the backhand more than the asym. The Asym is heavy glassed PU and has a little more glide and carries speed better. For right handers it's tough to beat. It's going to be hard to pick which one to take to Baja this winter if I'm able to swing a trip.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
My Current Quiver Slot Titles:
The...
-It's never going to be big and easy enough for local/Someday I plan on grabbing that left reef down south board
-There's some size, plenty of water moving, it's long enough, but why does it still feel like I need more foam (90s shortbaord length)model
-Day to day there are waves and I don't need extra foam model
-Day to day fug it's gutless/ I'm hungover/it's winter model
-Ha I'm fat and it's gutless but still surfing circles around most of you because this is a MOTHERF()CKING CRUTCH! model

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm 5'10 185-190 and my step up is a 6'2 CI ... I was thinking along those lines- that a 6'4/6'6 would work good. But there's a 6'8 used one near me I was considering picking up as a cheater to battle longboarders at my local spot

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm 5'10 185-190 and my step up is a 6'2 CI ... I was thinking along those lines- that a 6'4/6'6 would work good. But there's a 6'8 used one near me I was considering picking up as a cheater to battle longboarders at my local spot
Depending on the rest of the dims it could be perfect for that. My buddy who's 5-10 x 165 or so rode my 6'8" a bunch in Baja and loved it.

Reactions: tedshred5

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Battling longboarders with a 6'8" is like using a wet noodle as a weapon. But hey....go right ahead.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
FWIW, my mid-lenght (7'6") doesn't glide around the lineup like a longboard, or
even quite as well as I expected it to (never owned something similar). However, I can certainly
cover more ground to get to a shifty peak or outside set, and it's much easier to get into
those waves from farther out (ie: earlier) than I could ever do on a smaller board and than
the rest of the pack can do on their little boards sitting further inside. It opens up opportunities
for waves you'd otherwise not be able to get into position for appropriately. IMO.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
FWIW, my mid-lenght (7'6") doesn't glide around the lineup like a longboard, or
even quite as well as I expected it to (never owned something similar). However, I can certainly
cover more ground to get to a shifty peak or outside set, and it's much easier to get into
those waves from farther out (ie: earlier) than I could ever do on a smaller board and than
the rest of the pack can do on their little boards sitting further inside. It opens up opportunities
for waves you'd otherwise not be able to get into position for appropriately. IMO.
That is exactly what I’m looking to accomplish

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I think Dane G on the CI Mid looks better than Rob on a long fish. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen anybody make a long fish look good.