Is it possible to rip on a mid-length?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
You have so many other places you can put this stuff. Why force it into the Design Forum?!? I come here to talk boards as a distraction from real life and all the social/political craziness that is unavoidable elsewhere. I avoid the other General forums for this reason. Please don't ruin this for us. Thanks.
I did ask.

My bad.

Please continue discussing if you can rip on these.

Nov 14, 2006
Tropical Reef Pass
I think those CI Middies are really great for the right person. For example, my neighbor's grandmother : she used to surf maybe once every year or two and she takes out her new CI Middie (when she's not paddling her SUP), and wants a bit more excitement. At her age she can't really prone paddle so well anymore, or even see or hear so well for that matter , and she has that bad global arthritis and her back is pretty much totally surgically fused and has had both knees replaced. So of course she can't really turn or do anything but go straight. But she can get to her feet occasionally, and luckily she doesn't hear the screams or see the frantic duck dives of the shortboarders who happen to be in her way. She's totally oblivious, and has relatively wonderful stamina for someone of her age, and she just goes. I think it's wonderful there is a board designed for people like her who just want to experience the feel of slowly and surely riding a wave, even though they can't really move much anymore. It gets them out in the lineup, and that's the important thing.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
This looks about as close to ripping mid length (single fin w sidebites)as it gets for me. Might be a Takayama Howard Special Mini. I think the closer you have to a thruster set control the closer you get to the verticle ripping. Without thruster even Gudaskas couldn't go vert and plain looked off. The model suggests 6.5 single with 3.5 sidebites although compared to other examples of 2+1s it sure seems as if he is running thruster esque set up here, More controlled wraps. Though almost any craft would go in this fun of surf he's an ML Egg master. Donald T as well, this board seems to go a lot better than the CI ML (no surprise).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
99% sure that’s a fletcher chouinard huevo s rancheros model 6’10 that Devon helped develop after the tak special mini and before CI. He’d almost certainly have a 6.5 centre fin, Devon likes the true Ames 6.5 Wayne rich template.

Josh Kerr isn’t surfing a midlength in the clip posted.

Ripping on a midlength isn’t the point.

Carry on..........

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
99% sure that’s a fletcher chouinard huevo s rancheros model 6’10 that Devon helped develop after the tak special mini and before CI. He’d almost certainly have a 6.5 centre fin, Devon likes the true Ames 6.5 Wayne rich template.

Josh Kerr isn’t surfing a midlength in the clip posted.

Ripping on a midlength isn’t the point.

Carry on..........
Thats short, and short finned for a midlength right? wonder what the side fins are sure looks thrusterish riding.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Devon’s current thing is ride them 10-12 inches over your height which I guess puts them in the 6’10 to 7’2 range for him.

To be fair what Devon is riding is an egg isn’t it? That’s what he always called them before the CI marketing machine got into gear. An egg can be a midlength or not depending on its length, the “egg” moniker describes that template.

For me “mid length” is over 7’ to under 9’ and designed to draw more lateral rather than vertical lines that are smooth and stylish. Tailor that to your preferred “line on the wave canvas” with template (egg, long fish, mini longboard, magic carpet, mini glider etc) and fin set up.

If you want to “rip” them a shortboard is a better design?!

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
But have you ever wondered if you can mid length a shred?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
The townsend has been speaking to me lately, thanks in part to this forum.
I ordered one after reading on here and seeing all the pics this guy posts in my local spot. Was thinking about a quad on the heel side, but he said the tail holds in the barrel just fine as a twin. Best barrel board he's had. My XTR version should be done soon

Last edited: