Riot videos and reaction here

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
The cops who beat Rodney King all ended up as supervisors, does anyone see a problem here/
OK, like I said, the day is young. You keep upping the ante, so that ^^^ is now the dumbest thing I've seen you post here:

Stacy Koon - Acquitted of criminal charges at his state trial, Koon was later convicted in federal court of violating King’s civil rights and sentenced to 30 months in prison.

Laurence Powell - He also was acquitted of state charges but convicted in federal court of violating King’s civil rights and sentenced to 30 months in prison.

Timothy Wind - A highly regarded rookie cop until the King beating, Wind is seen on the videotape striking King with his baton. Acquitted of all charges, he was still fired by the LAPD and has struggled to put his past behind him. He was hired as a police department community relations officer for the small Los Angeles suburb of Culver City in 1994 and remained in that job until 2000 when he moved to Indiana to attend law school.

Theodore Briseno - During his criminal trial he testified that Powell, who struck King the most, was out of control and the beating was excessive. He was acquitted of all charges but was fired by the LAPD and struggled to find work afterward.

Reactions: Ifallalot

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
I think what he was saying is that cop training mainly concentrates on the physical and gun training.

Not deescalation or how to handle mentally ill people.

Not dumb at all, he has a point.

That's why nothing changed since the Rodney King beating.

Cops are still trained to physically handle people for trivial offenses, to be overly physically aggressive or shoot first and ask questions later.
I'd agree that many police forces don't seem to focus on deescalation or how to handle mentally ill people.

But no, what he said is in fact dumb. "Cop training" varies wildly from department to department. The incidents you hate the most do not indicate that those police had extensive "physical and gun training".

A lot has changed since the Rodney King beating. Were you living in the US then?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
OK, like I said, the day is young. You keep upping the ante, so that ^^^ is now the dumbest thing I've seen you post here:

Stacy Koon - Acquitted of criminal charges at his state trial, Koon was later convicted in federal court of violating King’s civil rights and sentenced to 30 months in prison.

Laurence Powell - He also was acquitted of state charges but convicted in federal court of violating King’s civil rights and sentenced to 30 months in prison.

Timothy Wind - A highly regarded rookie cop until the King beating, Wind is seen on the videotape striking King with his baton. Acquitted of all charges, he was still fired by the LAPD and has struggled to put his past behind him. He was hired as a police department community relations officer for the small Los Angeles suburb of Culver City in 1994 and remained in that job until 2000 when he moved to Indiana to attend law school.

Theodore Briseno - During his criminal trial he testified that Powell, who struck King the most, was out of control and the beating was excessive. He was acquitted of all charges but was fired by the LAPD and struggled to find work afterward.

You are right, I heard that somewhere and should have checked before posting. Although there were more than 4 officers there, what happened to them.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'd agree that many police forces don't seem to focus on deescalation or how to handle mentally ill people.

But no, what he said is in fact dumb. "Cop training" varies wildly from department to department. The incidents you hate the most do not indicate that those police had extensive "physical and gun training".

A lot has changed since the Rodney King beating. Were you living in the US then?
Yes a lot has changed except these things are still happening, when and if they get recorded on video.

So if things changed, they didn't change enough.

And the fact that training varies between departments is irrelevant, the overly aggressive cop behavior is widely enough spread throughout the country to cause concern.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I don't know which was more disturbing.

The guy abusing the puppy?

Or the girl recording it and giggling about it?

Some of these people have no heart or soul anymore.

And, why aren't the "peaceful" protesters telling all the lame spray painters to stop hijacking their cause?

Many seem very complacent about what's happening around them as people loot, burn and sh*t all over their communities. Seems many out "there" agree with what the vandals, looters and arsonists are doing, and don't really give a ratz ass.

Sad isn't even the word for it.

So glad I don't have to live in that kind of soul-less existence LA seems to have evolved into.