Waikiki During Quarantine

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
BRAH! That's what I've been telling my wife. Why are we trying to make tourists accountable to the quarantine? It should be on the hotels, airbnbs (which are illegal) and airlines. They get to profit and just wash their hands of the rules? Bullshit.

I can tell you the vibe here is very anti-tourists right now. People keep breaking the rules while the rest of us obey the rules? Locals are fuming. Yeah we need tourism and yeah we always have had a love/hate relationship, but things feel different now. Visitors proving to locals that they really don't care about the local community. I guess it was naive to think that they did.

Reactions: mundus and noone999

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm sensing a ton of frustration from Hawai'ians about the current financial realities, tourists, and lack of control over their islands. Have you all joined secession movements?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I would not join a secession movement. Proud to be an American. I wouldn't exist without military presence here: Dad came through on the way to Korea said he'd move here after, he did, then he met mom, we all benefitted and still benefit from his military benefits, retirement and more (even though he passed 35 years ago).

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I would not join a secession movement. Proud to be an American. I wouldn't exist without military presence here: Dad came through on the way to Korea said he'd move here after, he did, then he met mom, we all benefitted and still benefit from his military benefits, retirement and more (even though he passed 35 years ago).
Off topic, racer1, did you get in the water today? Got an email from a friend who surfed 3's today and he said that it was pretty good.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Surfed twice today and yesterday. Swell was fun. Not big, but fun size and not too crowded. Probably going up North tomorrow cause there's another solid NNW swell.

Reactions: Waiehu

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
BRAH! That's what I've been telling my wife. Why are we trying to make tourists accountable to the quarantine? It should be on the hotels, airbnbs (which are illegal) and airlines. They get to profit and just wash their hands of the rules? Bullshit.

I can tell you the vibe here is very anti-tourists right now. People keep breaking the rules while the rest of us obey the rules? Locals are fuming. Yeah we need tourism and yeah we always have had a love/hate relationship, but things feel different now. Visitors proving to locals that they really don't care about the local community. I guess it was naive to think that they did.
Whenever I travel anywhere I like to stay low-key, friendly, and humble - that's how I like our tourists to be where I live, and that's how I like to roll when I'm on vacay. Keeps the problem count at zero and the enjoyment factor high. I hate it when a few entitled assholes fuck it up for the rest of us.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I'm sensing a ton of frustration from Hawai'ians about the current financial realities, tourists, and lack of control over their islands. Have you all joined secession movements?
if you have could you please take Florida?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I’m bummed too. My parents were supposed to fly from hawaii to visit me on the east coast and weren’t able too cause of this. Then my dad was supposed to come stay for a month to spend time with me and his youngest grandson and that also got cancelled. Hoping eventually we will get there and he will get to come out to visit.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
So while we’re making all these sacrifices, here are a group of girls from Texas who flew in to Kona 5 days ago and living their best lives...

Edit: she just went private cause her posts were getting 100+ comments to go home.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Since this trip was planned and paid for in December, I’ve been watching what the flights and accommodations are doing. Furthermore, I’ve been watching this CV since December as well, and we have been prepared. Believe me, I’ll do what’s right. I don’t need you dictating to me what to do, thanks anyways. But no thanks.

You know, you’re coming off pretty harsh man, take a break.

what’s your beef brah?
I am sick of the entitled tourists coming over here and not following quarantine. They don't care about the islands, they only care about themselves and having a good time. They have no self discipline and it's all me, me and me. I want this, I want that, I want want! I deliver food to Kupuna here, and see what can happen if just one person were to come through with COVID-19 here on Kauai. We have a very small hospital that can't handle our own population, much less tourists who could care less about infecting others. That is why I am angry. Don't tell me to take a break.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
When it "Opens" up it will be even worse

A Loooong time ago residents should have given a poop about the "Prostituting " of the Islands .

Ben used this word several times in our conversations . A big step above "Promoting"

Years - decades - of Ainokea has finally paid off :-(

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I saw a visitor who was violating quarantine get asked to leave the water (and the beach) this morning. It was way worse than a $1000 fine.
A problem I have personal knowledge of, and not addressed in the outrage (justified) at these tourists, is "returning" residents. It is my understanding that they are also under the two week quarantine mandate and the abuse of these is widespread. Interesting how the media reports, for example, say two hundred people flew in yesterday. If one reads the whole story, usually the returning residents are the majority of these. The two hundred figure also includes airline crews. Theoretically, the airline crews, if leaving the aircraft, should be under the quarantine mandate also, correct? Of course, a strict following of a quarantine for air crew would most likely hinder all air cargo comng into the state. Is there any follow up on the "returning residents" to insure the are, or have, met the quarantine requirements? If I remember the statistics during the original reports of reported infections in Hawaii, there were 30 positives, and the breakdown given were 28 returning residents and two were tourists. The two confirmed cases on Molokai were one returning resident (who said he had quarantined, but had not) and one other resident. The State Senator who returned from Vegas who tested positive, and he did quarantine.
One example on Maui was a full time resident who cut a trip to the Mainland short due to the fact he was in a reported hot spot for the virus. Came back and did not quarantine as he was supposed to. A few weeks later, due to not feeling well, he did get tested and was negative.