XTR

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
All my XTR's go yellow, there's no way around it. So I either get color or color them myself.
Got any pic's of the ones you did yourself?

I don't mind painting the sleds I got discounted, but it might hurt a little to do it to the XTR Ghost I paid almost full price for. Mine, is 5 months old, still white, but it only sees the light of day when it's at least head high and offshore. I put a nice size pressure on the belly my first outing with it. I couldn't stand it so I put a heat gun to it, and it came almost all the way out.

Here's a couple I did, either because I was bored, or didn't like the color

Attachments

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I don't mind painting the sleds I got discounted, but it might hurt a little to do it to the XTR Ghost I paid almost full price for. Mine, is 5 months old, still white, but it only sees the light of day when it's at least head high and offshore. I put a nice size pressure on the belly my first outing with it. I couldn't stand it so I put a heat gun to it, and it came almost all the way out.
...Here's a couple I did, either because I was bored, or didn't like the color
Those look great. I've never tried that but have some yellowing boards that could use a refresh. What paint do you use? Do you need a clear coat?
My XTRs really haven't gotten dents like that, but the heatgun's a nice trick. Saw that on Varial's social media the other day. Of course, I have some older PU's that look like Swiss cheese. Even Joe Roper said there's nothing you can really do about them.

Oct 1, 2015
Has anyone ridden an XTR parallel carbon model? Can anyone comment on how they feel compared to the SL-CK or even a wood stringer board?
Just sold a Parallel Carbon Lost RNF Redux as well as SL-SK CI Fever. The dims on RNF were perfect but the build felt too light for me (I'm 5'11, 180lbs) Ofcourse it's all subjective and I'm not someone who can't really feel the little nuances from board to board. However constructions def have different feels. I'm intermediate/advanced and the best comparison I can make would be to a Firewire Helium Chumlee I owned. The lightness of both helium and PC were noticeable. I didn't feel like I could get the board to sit down in the water or have that drive on turns. Felt really fast and skatey but when i'd dig into a carve, it didn't have the opposing pushback I like. I've mainly surfed a coil and just recently picked up a used Superflex Fling. Those builds to me have a little more weight and solid feel. But again just my experience and preference, some really like light boards with that skatey fast feel. Can't really compare to the SL-CK. I think I either ordered that board too big/thick or just don't like the build. Felt way to buoyant and floaty. I'm thinking maybe the highdensity blue stringer, can't be sure. I do love the idea of XTR and XPS foam. Went with a Rusty Torsion spring at 1L less volume (28.8 which the low end range for me) and Love it so Far.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Those look great. I've never tried that but have some yellowing boards that could use a refresh. What paint do you use? Do you need a clear coat?
My XTRs really haven't gotten dents like that, but the heatgun's a nice trick. Saw that on Varial's social media the other day. Of course, I have some older PU's that look like Swiss cheese. Even Joe Roper said there's nothing you can really do about them.
The fish I used Duplicolor Custom Wrap, the peelable stuff. I actually removed it because the color was a bit too loud for me, and I was bored again. It was kind of hard to remove, but the finish was durable, smooth, and did not seem to drag the speed of that board down.
The Potato I used Rustoleum Universal, and followed it with a Matte Clear coat for automotive wheels, Duplicolor I think. After it dried for a few days, I lightly sanded it with some 1500 grit. Came out perfect, on a few different ones I did. Feels like it's glassed over.

Here's a couple of that fish again in base/clear. In hind sight I liked the sunburst better, but I think I have that board sold now anyway. Got a Helium Evo I did, i'll post a picture of that when I find it.

Attachments

Last edited:

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
Got any pic's of the ones you did yourself?

Here's a couple I did, either because I was bored, or didn't like the color
What kind/brand of paint and clearcoat do you use?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Just sold a Parallel Carbon Lost RNF Redux as well as SL-SK CI Fever. The dims on RNF were perfect but the build felt too light for me (I'm 5'11, 180lbs) Ofcourse it's all subjective and I'm not someone who can't really feel the little nuances from board to board. However constructions def have different feels. I'm intermediate/advanced and the best comparison I can make would be to a Firewire Helium Chumlee I owned. The lightness of both helium and PC were noticeable. I didn't feel like I could get the board to sit down in the water or have that drive on turns. Felt really fast and skatey but when i'd dig into a carve, it didn't have the opposing pushback I like. I've mainly surfed a coil and just recently picked up a used Superflex Fling. Those builds to me have a little more weight and solid feel. But again just my experience and preference, some really like light boards with that skatey fast feel. Can't really compare to the SL-CK. I think I either ordered that board too big/thick or just don't like the build. Felt way to buoyant and floaty. I'm thinking maybe the highdensity blue stringer, can't be sure. I do love the idea of XTR and XPS foam. Went with a Rusty Torsion spring at 1L less volume (28.8 which the low end range for me) and Love it so Far.
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. The Parallel Carbon seems to be popular for sure but it strikes me exclusively as a small wave board construction.

I've liked my SL-CKs in the past. They're standard PU level light, EXTREMELY strong, and have a nice positive flex pattern. Definitely an adjustment from a wood stringered board but if you're open to it, a very valid construction IMHO. Put two through their paces and they both passed the test.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I believe the idea with PC was that you could add more carbon lines to make it stiffer for better wave boards. I am curious to try it

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I believe the idea with PC was that you could add more carbon lines to make it stiffer for better wave boards. I am curious to try it
That's exactly the idea. I have a 8.0 PC Pyzel Ghost as a step up and given my weight and waves I wanted it for, they added a lot of carbon to give it a stiffer flex value of 4. The board is very stiff and really comes alive in solid 8-10' waves. Stringerless XTR can definitely be tuned for powerful waves if that's the feel you like.

In Noel Salas' Tomo Hydroshort review, they had a PC and Helium FW. Tomo said the PC is stiffer and better for bigger bumpier waves. I would concur.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Jambylangelo indeed.

I was thinking of painting a couple boards but was planning on just using Racer's spray and pray method.

I honestly didn't know you could rattle can a board and have it come out NOT looking like sh!t.

Reactions: Jamby