What makes a board yellow?

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Is it the resin or blank or both?

All my pu/pe boards have yellowed some, but it seems to be rather slowly and mostly based on exposure to the sun.

My 6 month XTR 8.0 has already started to yellow, way faster than any pu I've had. They say 8.0 uses a nonyellowing epoxy resin. Is it the blank? Seems to yellow even without sun exposure.

Friend of mine has owned every FireWire construction, says all have yellowed fast even when keeping it out of the sun. Is it the resin?

I have a 1.5 year old JS Hyfi, still white as brand new. I heard they paint their blanks white, so their epoxy resin doesn't yellow?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Every epoxy board I've ever owned has turned yellow. I've even seen firewires and eps boards that have turned yellow sitting in the racks at the surf shops. I always order color especially since XTR charges $60. Or you could just spray paint it.

May 10, 2018
Firewire's yellow like nothing I've ever seen. The LFT go yellow in the shop before they are sold.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Epoxy yellows.

No matter how much UV stuff they put in the resin it’s going to yellow.

On epoxy boards just pay for the color. Otherwise you’ll be sorry you didn’t.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
So it's the epoxy resin and not the blank? Why hasn't my JS yellowed, just lucky so far? And why do they paint the blank white if it's the resin that yellows?

Also, if I order a blue color, will it eventually turn green since yellow+blue= green? Something to think about.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Pretty sure it’s both that yellows. The resin and the blank

They put UV inhibitor in the resin to try to slow it and often use pro link epoxy but that just slows it more then anything

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Anyone here ever seen a yellowed styrofoam coffee cup or cooler? Nope

It's the resin AND then what hurts is how the conditions are during lamination .

Good thing it does not hurt how they ride.

Oral of the story, if you want a bright white eps epoxy boar get a pu pe or a foam spray in the light color range

Reactions: sozzle and Aruka

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Here is the breakdown in my experience:

1. Polyurethane foam yellows. Some worse than others. Much improvement has been made here.

2. Polyester resin yellows slightly........again, some worse than others. Boat yard resin yellows terribly while Silmar 249B is very stable and stays bright white for a long long time. It also does a great job of protecting the polyurethane foam from yellowing.

3. Combine a good polyurethane blank with Silmar 249B resin and you will have a board that stays white for a good long time.

4. EPS Foam resists yellowing very well. Find a piece of EPS packing foam garbage that's been in the sun for ages unprotected by resin and you will see how white it stays.

5. Epoxy resins yellow terribly despite the various claims by the resin manufacturers. They are improving but still not on par with PE resin.

6. EPS boards are often sealed and some of the sealers turn yellow.

7. The most badly yellowed boards I own are boards made with polyurethane foam and glassed with epoxy resin. Here both the foam and the resin yellowed. These boards after a couple of years are as yellow as a 60 year old vintage longboard.

8. Some EPS Epoxy board builders use white pigment in the resin and some of these pigments may not be UV stable as well. I've noticed this phenomenon when doing board repairs for people.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
There was a laminator in Hawaii Well Known for glassing at 3 factories each day , a Hero to some ;-)
Famous for using 30 cc of cataylist to set them off super hot do the other side quickly and run to the next factory
Boards were yellow in 2 weeks- 30% weaker than properly set resin
Most were twisted , none of the name shapers and labels protested - dont want to be "Labeled" hard to deal with

Just pass it on the the customer and it was

thats 1,000's of boards up to 200 a week

Same stuff was done on the mainland too

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

It's the resin AND then what hurts is how the conditions are during lamination .

Oral of the story, if you want a bright white eps epoxy boar get a pu pe or a foam spray in the light color range
Did JDJ's board yellow that I made him ? Pretty sure that was Greenroom Epoxy

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Did JDJ's board yellow that I made him ? Pretty sure that was Greenroom Epoxy
No, that is a mighty fine example of craftsmanship, fin box area shows no signs of extra yellow too and that is the first area to look yucky on epoxy

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Must be nice to be able to give someone feedback and them realize you are helping them be a better board builder

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

Actually I have seen styrofoam coolers yellow. Bad analogy really. Those are disposable and spend far less time in the sun then a surfboard.

Both the foam and the resin yellows.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I always work color into the price of an eps board.

I used to always get S glass but the last board I got with S glass with color resin turned almost gray and you can see all the weave. Really strange.

In any case it lasts way longer then PU in my experience